It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
(male)

marcasaurus HB User
Chronic Telogen Effluvium

Alright, so a little under two years ago, I found myself completely depressed by my life situation and embarked on a strict exercise and diet regimen. Needless to say, after some time I became overly obsessed with my self image and pretty much entered crash diet mode. 4 to 5 months later, I realized the hair on the front of my head seemed to be getting thinner. Over the following months the loss progressed in a diffuse manner with no particular pattern. I have been losing hair for about a year and a half and, although I still have a relatively intact hairline (I buzzed my head and it doesn't look too bad), things don't seem to be improving. All of this is made worst by the fact that I have recently become fairly successful in a career path that demands that I maintain a certain image.

There is no history of hairloss in my family, although I realize that's not necessarily all that matters. My question is this: is it possible for a bout of telogen effluvium kicked off by a few months of crash dieting to have lasted this long, or am I most likely experiencing some sort of permanent diffuse shedding?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
(female)

thyroida HB User
Re: Chronic Telogen Effluvium

Are you actually seeing more than 100 hairs/day fall? With TE you can see 200+ hairs/day and the thinning is rapid. If your eating normal now with plenty of protein it's unlikely that this would cause chronic hair shedding. If your regrowth is coming in thinner this could also explain a reduction in hair density.

Some tests you may want to have, Ferritin and TSH. Maybe a dermatolgist could help.

Last edited by thyroida; 01-23-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread