It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

vptanner HB User
what is a good over the counter hair color without bleach for blondes

what is a good over the counter hair color without bleach for blondes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
(female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User
Re: what is a good over the counter hair color without bleach for blondes

Good question. I'm interested in the answer to this too. If any one has done this and knows please give me some tips, thanks

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-16-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
(female)

Sachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB User

Are you a blonde trying to go lighter? Darker blonde? A totally different colour? Or are you a brunette / redhead / raven-haired and wanting to go blonde?

I'm going to guess that you're a blonde trying to go lighter. Depending on the shade you are and want to be, it may take bleach. If you're a medium to dark blonde, you can use just about any normal blonde dyes, but it will only show if it's 1 or 2 shades lighter than your natural colour. There are super light blonde dyes, but all of them have bleach in them, so pay attention to what you're getting. If you have naturally light blonde hair and want to go platinum or white-blonde, you'll need one with bleach. There are highlight kits ( they contain bleach ), and spray-in highlights ( Sun-In for example ) that can help if you prefer to only have highlights or do it the most 'natural'-looking. ( Note: if you use Sun-In, do NOT try to dye your hair afterwards, it will turn out very badly! Take it from me, I tried to go red-brown, and neon orange is not a flattering colour! )

You could try a glaze, but I'm not sure if there will be any noticeable difference besides a nice shine to your hair. A glaze ( at home ) is just a deposit of colour on top of your hair, and it will go away in 3-4 weeks or so. A salon glaze can be customized, but will still only last about a month to 6 weeks.

If you change your mind about using something with bleach, then you do have a lot more options. However, remember that you need to use a hair mask, good conditioner, and possibly a daily conditioning / protein spray to keep your hair healthy. With any hair colour, you should use the proper pro-colour shampoo and conditioner of your choice. And if you do use bleach, remember that your hair will lighten very fast if you're a natural blonde - do like they say and test a strand first, and watch it carefully. You may only need to use it for 5 minutes to get your desired results!

I personally use rather cheap dyes ( Revlon Coloursilk from Walmart, lol ), but I've used L'oreal, Revlon, and Garnier with no discernable difference in quality. The difference is how you apply it ( thoroughly, and 2 boxes for hair longer than your shoulders ), and how you take care of your hair afterwards. Cooler water will help keep your colour longer, and of course the proper shampoo and conditioners.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sachimi For This Useful Post:
stasis4 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
(female)

Thanks, your post was so helpful. I'm a medium blonde, I'd say, and I'm trying to go lighter..it is something I've never attempted before, but now the fancy has struck me. My hubby says go for it too, lol

However I've been reluctant to take bleach to my hair. But as your advice indicates, it looks like it would be tough to avoid.

Let me think about the different options. In any case, I only want to go lighter as a novelty, not as something I want to do long term.

Your tips were really good! (I clicked the thank you button for your post)

Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
(female)

Sachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB User

I'm glad to help! If you want something more subtle and temporary, I'd actually go with highlights ( there's many highlight kits, all have bleach though since that's what makes highlights ). It will make your hair seem lighter overall, with a bit more dimension, and you don't have to worry about it seeming unnatural or anything. And you won't be dyeing all of your hair, so there's less damage to worry about. The only thing to keep in mind is that you have to watch it so it doesn't go lighter than you want, and keep the highlights thin and not in big chunks. It will grow out and look great for several months, if you don't go too much lighter then it won't stand out at all when it's grown out several inches.

Like I said before, with an all-over dye you can only go a few shades lighter without bleach. I would try that if you're not keen on highlights or using bleach still, and it shouldn't look weird unless you choose the wrong tone. Check that first - ashy, natural, or warm/golden are the tones, and you need the one that matches yours. Look in natural light and nice bright indoor lights to see your hair's tone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sachimi For This Useful Post:
stasis4 (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
(female)

All very good suggestions. You sound like a pro! Hadn't thought of the highlights option, will really consider it. I'm really liking this idea because at least that way I can control how much of my hair gets exposed to the bleach. I can look into what tone I want for the highlights, probably something warm/golden. And maybe a shorter cut, something like a bob perhaps? Hmm..I'm getting this image in my head

Sachimi- thanking you again.

Last edited by stasis4; 01-21-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
(female)

No problem! I was considering cosmetology school, but I never started. All of my advice is through careful research that I've done in the past for my own experiences, and of course from my past mistakes. I'm glad to help, and I hope it turns out great!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
(female)

Based on the advice you were able to give me, I'd say you should go for being a cosmetologist

Last edited by stasis4; 01-21-2012 at 04:57 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to stasis4 For This Useful Post:
Sachimi (01-22-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
(female)

thegirlwhocryed HB User

You should do what I did. I bought 2 boxes of Revlon Frost And Glow. Its a highlighting kit but it really works. I use it because its better then bleach. Just put it in your hair all over and leave it for about an hour and a half and it will get really light. Mine turned almost white. Then just put your color over it

Closed Thread