It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Husband has Odor coming from his hair/scalp

Hi, my hubby, 58 yo, has been having this odor coming from his hair/scalp for a while now. He does wear caps/hats most of the time. We've tried selsun blue, and other medicated shampoos (there's one with zinc I think?) and it will get better for a couple of days and then it comes back. I've tried to get him to throw away all the hats (he has so many, he's a race fan) and start over and we have thrown some out and got a couple new ones but it gets expensive at $20-30 a piece.

He is a colon-cancer survivor so he's been thru chemo-rad back in 03 so no telling what that did to his system. I've tried to get his hair sylist involved (a friend as well) involved in the process but haven't had much luck. He's not one to go to the Dr. over something like this. To me its the "old man smell" as I like to call it, I can smell him from 3-4 ft away! I hate to keep saying something but gosh...its not going away! Anyone else have any ideas?

Oh yeah, he does like his beers...so it could be yeast I was thinking.

THanks...

CJ

Old 11-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Husband has Odor coming from his hair/scalp

Silly question but do you wassh the hats?

Pup

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hey Pup, well ya know, I have one of those things you put the cap in to wash them in the dishwasher and I keep telling him to use that or throw them out but he won't do it. THat's why I bought some new ones and told him just toss the old ones because he's never gonna get rid of whatever it is,ya know? Its not a stupid question, I totally get it. He's a Dale Sr/JR fan and doesn't want to get rid of the dang hats and is so tight bit good grief ya now?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

I'd grab the hats and wash them myself (If the get wrecked..oops wink wink) The head/scalp sweats as much as underarms and has extra oils. We wash our clothes frequently, think of the stuff on his hats..yuck.

I've heard those hat things work, but I thought they went in the washing machine not dishwasher.

Pup

Old 11-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

I just throw the hats in the washer on gentle, cold water and then hang them on the clothesline to dry. They've always come out really nice

Old 11-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I have to comment on the possibility of the medications and even the beer to be a possibility.

I imagine he is on a major medication regime, as I am, and my hubby says my hat smells funny too. His nose is right over my head when we stand up. Now I hand wash the little band inside. I know my scent is different with all the medications being excreted.

I have to wear a visor all the time because I am very photo sensitive, another effect of the medications. I am thankful my family takes these little things in stride, and I do not have to feel badly about them, as I would normally. When faced with life threatening illness, the focus changes from insignificant embarrassment to focus on what really matters in life, and that is the love and support of our families.

So, wash his beloved hats using some vinegar in the rinse water, and love that stinky head all you can!

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
noevr (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hadn't thought of vinegar...hmm...good idea! We've gone thru tons of pillows too and a few decorative ones for the sofa that he loves (his favorote spot on the sofa LOL!) and its hard to match those up. I've gotten when I find ones that match I'll purchases severalbut now we're out so now he's so a bright white one on my purple and sage sofa in the living room. He can stink up a pillow I'm telling ya! LOL! But what is so weird he can'tsmell it. THat's what is so strange.

Thank yall for your input, I'm gonna try the vinegar. . And Santa is definitely gonna bring more hats!

The following user gives a hug of support to noevr:
writeleft (11-20-2010)
Closed Thread