It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
(female)

juniper15 HB User
Itchy Scalp

I have a very itchy scalp! I noticed that it started after I got my cat, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. She does like to sleep on my head though!

Any way, I get these little small bumps on my scalp and if I pick them, they bleed. But not like a pimple, it's more of a scab. Once I pick the scab it gets very itchy and irritated. When I get my haircut the hair stylist just thinks its dandruff, but it is a non-stop itch. I've also been told it could be a scalp psoriasis, but I don't know how to get rid of it because it is just insanely itchy!

I use t-jel shampoo and sometimes selsun blue and that used to work fairly well, keep the itchiness down. It stings when I put it on. But for instance, I just took a shower a few hours ago and my head is super itchy!! The more I itch, the more dandruff occurs. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Itchy Scalp

You really need to see a Dermotologist to find out exactly what is going on. Another thing is you mentioned it seemed to flare when you got your cat, so are you sure the cat doesn't have fleas? They can bite humans as well.

Wishing you luck...JJ....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
(female)

juniper15 HB User

I know my cat doesn't have fleas. I've had my cat for 8 years now. I just remember noticing the itching around the time I got her.

I probably should see a dermatologist, but I feel silly going there and the doctor telling me I just have a severe case of dandruff or something simple like that!

It doesn't always itch, but when it does it's terrrrible. Especially right now it's itchy because it is so dry out due to the crummy winter! It should be getting better now that it's almost spring, but even in the spring and summer I remember it itching fairly badly.

Thank you for your input though I apprecaite it!

Old 03-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Oh, I thought you said you noticed it when you got your cat so I thought it was recently. I had 2 cats at the same time and one, although short haired my nose use to get so itchy when I would snuggle with him???? Neither went outside so I knew they were fine, but strange his fur bothered me.

Don't feel silly going, that's what they are there for. I also noticed this year with all the snow and freezing cold weather I have much drier skin and scalp then I ever remember having. I'll be glad when winter is over. Hope you get some relief soon.

Good luck...JJ...

Old 05-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
(male)

DannyTX HB User

Did you ever figure out this problem? I could have written this story about my head to the "T", except for the part about the cat. I am experiencing exactly every symptom and have used each of the products, as well as Scalpicin, with barely temporary improvement maybe for a day or so. Actually Scalpicin helps with the itch, but doesn't cure the problem.

I would sure like to know if you found some over the counter cure before I go to the doctor.

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-16-2011 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi cats might also carry things like mange at an early stage that is not noticeable and probably mites or other bugs that might not be so visible because they can be so very tiny especially in the young stages. I suppose allergy to the cat might be another problem (Candida Albicans might cause the allergy in the first place).

If the dermatologist is visited it would be important to speak about the cat. There are other difficulties that can cause scalp problems also such as infection with a germ or a simple lack of vitamin C from foods (I would not bother with the factory made ones). Sometimes a fungal infection can be a problem with the scalp because of moisture from you and the cat together. The fungus likes dark, heat, moisture and food. If one has been eating sweets the food is present. Of course if one had antibiotics in the past that can aggravate any Candida (fungal) problem that may be there.

One source I read about suggests jewelry wearing should be stopped and if not the scalp might get scabs. One reason is likely that jewelry is not often sterilized and can easily get germs and be dirty. Even if it is washed it still can be a source of potential infection especially for certain types of workers. Are there any problems with the gums or with loose teeth?

Last edited by sjb; 05-16-2011 at 06:27 AM. Reason: additions made

Closed Thread