It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
(male)

nezkeys79 HB User
major scalp tightness / dryness

Hi there guys and girls. I am a 29 year old male. About 3 years ago my scalp started to get really dry and flaky (although for as long as I can remember my face, arms, and legs used to go dry here and there after a wash but nowehere near on the scale of what it has been in the past 3 years. I have also had a rash on my chest since puberty, and incidientally I dont grow any chest hair and have gynocomastia (which I have done nothign about until recently but I was refused an operation anyway)

My parents said I suffered really bad from cradle cap as a young child and that I used to burn in the sun almost always. I do remember being a teenager though and burning all the time in the sun, and having stress about my gyno.

Anyway more recently I visited my gp about this scalp condition and have been keeping a diary. Please give advice wherever you can. Thanks in advance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When this first broke out 3 years ago I shaved my head completely and used nizoral shampoo every day and betanovate lotion on my scalp liberally. It disappeared within a few days.

6 months later it returned and I was prescribed the same thing again only this time it did not work at all. The doctor said that whatever was causing it had become resistant to nizoral and told me to not shampoo or conditioner at all. Since this day it has just continued to get worse

A further 6 months later I had an outbreak again and the doctor refused to prescribe nizoral saying it was pointless. A local chemist said its just a trial and error case of trying everything until something works. So then I took his advice and over the course of a year spent lots of money on "anti dandruff shampoo" over the counter, including the "simple range".

After nothing working I eventually (2 months ago) was told to try shampoos without "sls" in so I bought "dr organic" shampoo and conditioner, and horsetail tablets from holland and barrett. The conditions did ease slightly but now it seems to be getting worse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIARY(same thing every day):

Used Dr organic shampoo and conditioner
Symptoms Pre Wash - Tightness, Dryness, Flakiness
Symtpoms Post Wash - Redness, Body itching, even more tightness/dryness
Applied "nivea enriched for dry skin lotion" directly to my scalp. Tightness goes. Burning sensation appears and redness but that goes after 10 minutes or so.
Night symptoms - Dryness, Flakiness, Back of scalp very sore
Took 3 horsetail. Drank 2 litres of water. Re applied nivea in evening.
(I did the above for 14 days straight. Nivea was taking tightness away but was making my scalp burn for a few minutes)

On the 9th day strangely my head went greasy instead of dry and I had all these larger scaly patches (rather like segments on a football) which just peeled off. This never returned after this one day I did nothing different

3 days ago visited gp and was prescribed capasal from gp. 10 minutes after showering the tightness was far worse on scalp and face, and the smell of the coal tar was unbearable. I applied doublebase cream on my scalp(had ran out of nivea) and my scalp felt burning all over so washed it off with cold water, major tightness was still there. I returned today and explained the results to a different gp and was prescribed nizoral. Just like capasal the tightness went worse on scalp an face (eyebrows, nose, facial hair, forehead, behind ears, knuckles, chest).

I have not applied any cream or lotion to anywhere after showering on the advice of this gp and the condition although its tempting too because everything is so tight almost feels as if I have a shield on my scalp that is about to crack dunno.

Please help!!!!!!

ps...i very rarely have itchyness, and if I do its not enough to want to scratch profusely

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread