It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
(male)

tamworth1 HB User
hair / scalp odour

For several years now I've had a bad odour from my hair, especially when it's wet, eg getting rained on, or sweaty, or even in the shower. It's almost a meaty smell, a bit yeasty, and I think that's the clue. I'm guessing it's a fungus or yeast that's got out of balance. I keep my hair about 3 - 5mm long, and there's no sign of a rash on my scalp. I've tried Nizoral with a slight improvement if used daily for a week, but only for a few hours. Selsun does nothing. My doctor 'can't smell anything wrong' but I know other people can and it isn't something I want to inflict on them.
I've read several old threads about this sort of thing but no solutions.
How did you all get on?
Is there something I haven't heard about?

Old 06-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: hair / scalp odour

Sometimes changing the Ph of you scalp helps try rinsing in a diluted Vinager rinse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
(male)

tamworth1 HB User
Re: hair / scalp odour

Yeh I think Ph is worth thinking about, because every bacteria/fungus, whatever, has its favourite Ph level. The salicylic acid I was looking for after researching on the net was to do with this.
Well, to cut a long story short, tried everywhere to get 'Meted' shampoo, not available here in UK now: 'manufacturers cannot supply'. Available from USA. Presume E.U. regs are to blame; they don't like salicylic acid apparently. But...
Got some 'Cocois' cream from a friendly pharmacy: coconut oil, Coal Tar, Salicylic acid and Sulphur. Also some antibacterial shampoo for dogs [sic].
Massaged cream in, left an hour. Johnsons baby shampoo got rid of that, then dog shampoo, left 10 mins.
It's over 48 hours now, and hot sweaty weather, heaving soil around in garden and no return of smell yet. I had a shower this morning which normally brings on the smell but, fingers crossed... I shall repeat every 2 days for a couple of weeks, then less often.
I also got new pillows and clean bedding, washed the underblanket and hoovered the bed. Clean towel for hair every time too.
OK, but i'm not obsessive, just obsessed, lol.

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-24-2011 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Closed Thread

Tags
hair, odor, scalp, smell, smelly