It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
(female)

devynlauryn HB User
Dying previously dyed hair

my natural hair color is dark brown but i've been dying it honey blonde (which is actually a light light brown) for awhile and today i tried to dye it a little darker but it ended up turning out alot darker. i want to know is it safe to dye it lighter again in a couple of weeks???? i've heard mixed answers when it comes to dying previously colored hair lighter. some say i cant, some say i can, and some said i have to bleach it first but im terrified of bleaching it!

Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
Re: Dying previously dyed hair

I have dyed my hair back-to-back a few times due to color issues. My hair is blonde and very fine. I've had no problems. Once my hair turned out grayish-brown - yuck! My niece told me how bad it looked. I had just done it the day before. I stopped and got a lighter color and did it again. Came out much better. Now I have to make myself stick to the same color. What works for me is Loreal 9N. I can only use N = Natural. Cannot use Warm or Golden.

good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Honestly, to put dye on top of different dye, I would go to a salon and have it done professionally. Yeah, it's more expensive, but your wouldn't want to turn your hair green or something.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

To each her own. I've had more problems at salons dying my hair than doing it myself. I was supposed to get brown with blonde highlights. I got the blonde highlights but my hair was this weird dingy dark brown and my face was dyed too. I was wondering why the girl who rinsed out my hair was rubbing so hard. It took them the whole next day to get it to a neutral color!

I could go on, but you really have to do what you feel is right. You could just test a small area if you aren't sure.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

From my personal experience I would wait and let the dye wear off.

If you do decide to dye your hair again in a couple of weeks, remember your hair is very porous and will grab color quick.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
(female)

sunkissed89 HB User

never be afraid of having your hair bleached. as long as you trust your hair stylists, you are in good hands. there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to color it back to a lighter color. ask for a protein treatment at your salon you visit and you will be fine..after all of your coloring is done, get a deep conditioning treatment and you will be just fine! and maybe a trim to take care of the split ends.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

There are things you can do to get rid of the color you don't like.

You could try first using a harsh dish washing liquid.The kind that you have at kitchen sink like ajax or joy.They will help strip out a lot of the color.The more you wash,the better.

If that doesn't work,try COLOR OOPS. You can get it at CVS,or rite aid.
It basically shrinks the color molecules of the dye and then you just shampoo them right out.It works wonders for people who have gone too dark and it should take you right back to the color you had.
Is is not harsh at all,unlike bleach.

I've used it many times when I went too dark.Just make sure to follow the directions.

Last edited by WhenItRains; 11-09-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Closed Thread