It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User
If Overcounter Psoriasis/Seborea shampoo doesn't work, would Nizoral Prescription?

I told my dermatologist that i started this over the counter Psoriasis/Seboreha/dandruff shampoo and it's not working at all.

In fact, every day my whole scalp and eye brows have huge white flakes that pop out and everyone can see. thank god i still have hair to cover. But i'm getting bald already so .... Age 31.

anyways.. The dermatologist told me to use Nizoral prescription
but I tried it sometime ago and it didn't work. I will get the prescription and try it again.

so is there a way to beat my genes?(father has it too)

It's sooooo itchy and i have millions of flakes and all kind of dandruff and i can look at my scalp it looks like a land full of crap. The ones that are visible and you can pill out but it's nasty..then under those are new ones forming and it's just aweful....

Last edited by MrDister78; 10-20-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
(female)

mielsabug HB User
Re: If Overcounter Psoriasis/Seborea shampoo doesn't work, would Nizoral Prescription

I know this thread is outdated but I have a suggestion that others might find helpful.

I am now using baking soda mixed with my regular shampoo (in my hand) to combat the Seborrheic Dermatitis -- soak for 5 mins, rinse with cold water, same with conditioner; done 2x per week. After showering spraying vinegar (mixed 2Tbs/2 cups water) directly into the scalp and on skin helps prevent the flaking and seems to lessen the re-occurrence as well. You may not need this once the condition is under control.

I have had it for 15 years now and was certain that only Prescription Nizoral 2% would work for me. Eventually (about 3 years ago) I started needing to apply it for 30 minutes to be affective. And shortly thereafter my hair started thinning. I was using the generic version if that matters to anyone.

After reading some posts online about baking soda I tried it. The hand-fulls of hair shed instantly stopped -- 2nd shampoo. The Seborrhea is held at bay for the normal week or so that other medications produce. When I do it regularly it gets better and better until I almost think I'm cured. But it comes back if I stop.

Side effects:
1. Burning if I leave it on too long -- this gets better as your skin gets used to it, but don't push it; rinse as soon as the "itch" starts.

2. More tough, leathery scaling and flaking if either left too long and burned, or done too often, or waiting too long between shampoos. I find moisturizing helps with my face, ears and neck for this, as well as the vinegar.

3. Dry hair. You must rinse with cold water to help combat this. Moisturizing shampoos and deep conditioning is a mandatory. Very occasional egg protein treatments help me too. Hair dye does not help. Since it is a must for me, I keep it to highlights twice a year. You can also try a second wash with normal shampoo to get any baking soda out of the ends.

4. Oddly, the baking soda face wash seems to help my acne too. But don't soak it as long as the face, or use a strong mix (with cleanser)! If scrubbing makes your acne worse be careful of that too. I wash my face again with my mild cleanser to make sure the Ph goes back to normal.

5. TMI time: baking soda is the opposite PH you want in your lady parts. To avoid problems, rinse very well. I also use a squirt of the lite vinegar solution there after the shower to balance the PH.

6. The vinegar solution prevents ingrown hairs after shaving. So use it on those spots too.

Also, for what it's worth, experiment with different brands of shampoo and hair dye (if it's a must.) This all started for me when I used Clairol Herbal Essence hair dye. I know it's not the cause. Hormones are (I have other symptoms.) But it seems like it was the catalyst that set off a symptom I didn't previously have. I am stuck with it for life now.

I would use the No-poo hair washing method (baking soda only) but I just can't find a way to spread it through my hair like shampoo. I also like to avoid baking soda anywhere except my scalp if I can because my hair is so dry and fine when I use it. The same with vinegar. I tried diluted vinegar rinses when I was younger. My hair started pulling apart, as if I had bleached it to death, after a few months. The stylist pointed it out to me. This is the reason I put both only at the roots of my hair.

I am not a doctor or dermatologist! If you have sensitive skin use very little baking soda, and soak only for 2 or 3 minutes. Experiment with time and amount. Hope this is helpful to some people.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread