It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
(female)

flygirl541 HB User
Question Trich (Hair pulling), hair cutting, depression & OCD

Hello, everyone:
I had read many of the old threads about obsessive hair pulling and hair cutting, but didn't see any recent/current ones. I am a female in my late 50's who has experienced many stressful events in the last several years. I am currently taking Lexapro and Bupropion (generic for Wellbutrin) for depression and anxiety, but recognize myself in the prior posts about compulsive hair cutting and trichotillomania. Since I have been unemployed for several months (that's one of the big stressors!) I have been trying to save money by trimming my own hair but get carried away, and after being "good" for several weeks, went into a major hair pulling event this evening. I only pull in one area of my head; it's where I had a pilar (hair keratin) cyst removed almost 30 years ago. My pattern seems to be that I will let the hair grow out on the scar area for a few weeks/months, but then when I get stressed I will start pulling out hairs that feel "weird" until I have a big bald patch on my scalp. I think my fingers seem to think that my scalp should feel smooth or something. Arrgghh! And I really don't need a bald patch when I am trying to look good for interviews. Anyone, especially women after menopause or 50+, have similar symptoms? Would love some recommendations/insights. Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
(female)

mielsabug HB User
Re: Trich (Hair pulling), hair cutting, depression & OCD

I chronically twist my hair -- since I was a baby. I'm 39. Looks pretty ridiculous. I've tried hair clips and hats but I just end up ripping them off saying, I don't care! It's very like an addiction that way. Hair clips are effective at work though because I'm embarrassed enough to care and won't remove them. Otherwise I'll do it unconsciously.

The ONLY thing that has ever stopped it at home is cutting my favorite sections -- my top layers -- too short to twist. Oddly, I don't even think about it when I can't do it. You'd think it would drive me nuts. Apparently though, I unconsciously test it because the day it is long enough I'm back to happily twisting away.

If you have the type of hair for it, a layered, feathery hair cut works great for this. The targeted layers should be no longer than 3-4 inches.

Have you noticed a difference with changes in medication? Is it bothersome enough to out-weigh the benefits over another medication? What about when you changed to generics? I have had some pretty bad effects from generics.

Hope you find some solutions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread