It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
(male)

raven91 HB User
Troublesome Headlice

I'm a 20-year old male living with my parent and a community college student. I've been dealing with headlice, well, for a long time. I've gotten buzz cuts in the past try to eradicate the problem, however, it just kept coming back. Sometimes it was minor and the itching didn't bother, other times it was very severe.

I need to get rid of head lice so I can look for part-time work with confidence, and if I'm going to work in food service, it's especially important that I don't have a single louse living with me. But I'll admit that I also need a haircut as my hair is neck-length, very thick and curly, the ends are split, and overall it's not very presentable.

I should note that I want to get rid of lice as discreetly as possible. It's very embarrassing for me to bring this up to anyone, I don't really have health insurance to go see a doctor, and I'd rather just avoid having to do it if possible. I've considered lice shampoos, but while that may kill the lice, it would be very hard to remove them with a fine-tooth comb. (It's hard enough for me to even use a wide-tooth comb on my hair.) I don't think getting another buzz cut at a barber shop is an option, either. I've heard that barbers have a right to stop cutting your hair if they discover lice in your hair. That would be most embarrassing.

To my surprise, when using a blow dryer one day after a shower (I almost never use a blow dryer), I found a lot of dead lice falling into the sink. I kept using the dryer and found that a lot more started falling out dead as I put my hands through my hair to shake them out. It seems that the heat kills them. And this is how I've been keeping them in check for a while now. I know it's not good for my hair, but I'm about done with wanting my hair anyway.

Though the blow dryer method has been working, I still want to get rid of the lice permanently, and I've failed to do this so far. The methods I use provide temporary relief but, alas, they never go away. If you have any ways to kill them off for good in the most discreet manner, please share your knowledge with me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Troublesome Headlice

I work in an elementary school and can tell you, they are difficult toget rid of. Go see you local pharmacist. He/she can direct you to a proper product. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS COMPLETELY. You will HAVE to do the treatment again in 7-10 days depending on which one you use. Nothing else will work!

Wash ALL your bedding, clothing, anything that has come in contact with your head in hot water. You are most likely reinfecting yourself from those items. And a buzz cut is no help. Lice LOVE clean hair....not dirty hair!

Good luck.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
(female)

summer12 HB User
Re: Troublesome Headlice

Try tea tree oil. Lice hate the stuff. Good luck.

Closed Thread