It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

caisaco HB User
greasy, gross, stringy hair even after washing? poor diet?

I have been to a salon and asked, all the lady gave me was a stripping clarifying shampoo and I used it twice now with hot water. When I flat iron my hair it becomes wet feeling and stringy! No volume at all. I used to wash my hair every 5 days (my hair is dyed bright red and it got used to not washing) but ever since a month ago it is nasty after just a night of sleeping. It looks alright and clean if I don't flat iron itn but I'm not giving that up.

Could my diet be making my hair so gross? It is very damaged from previous permanent dyes (then I discovered veggie hair dyes to make it super bright red) so it's wet slash damp after styling then volumeless and greasy looking when I'm finished.

What is sebrum or sebum or whatever comes out of your scalp? I have not been eating healthy at all this past month, not sure if my hair is physically suffering. I want my old hair back that was fluffy and full of volume even after straightening it!
Help please I'm 19 I want my good hair back

I used to dye it with loreal hicolor hilights but it was so drying. Last month I used Pravana semi perm dye (it has a lotttt of keratin and protein and you can let it soak in your hair all night if you want) could it have ruined my hair? It doesn't fade out really but ever since then my hair texture has changed for the ultimate worst. Or maybe plus a bad diet? I've heard some people can't handle protein in their hair and some can

Last edited by caisaco; 04-10-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
(female)

mielsabug HB User
Re: greasy, gross, stringy hair even after washing? poor diet?

It could, indeed, be the hair dye. Try going back to another brand for a month or two to test.

I have had shampoos completely change the texture and behavior of my hair. I never thought shampoo mattered much until recently. Namely, Pantene Great Lengths shampoo actually made my wavy hair straight! No volume loss and no greasiness so it wasn't a weighed-down problem -- just straight. (You might even like this!) I like my easy scrunch-and-go hair so I changed shampoos and immediately got my wave back.

In conclusion, test the hair dye. Test shampoos. (Drug and health food stores accept returns within 30 days. Keep your receipts!)

Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
(female)

caisaco HB User

It has to be the vegetable dyes.. I used Pravana, that ruined my hair so finally after a month I bought Paul Mitchell clarifying shampoo and scrubbed the heck out of it in hot water, dried it and did a test with my flat iron and it didn't come out wet or gross or greasy at all and it was good.

OKay.. so that night I dyed with La Riche Directions hair dye to Red again and it made it silky soft with the volume I used to have and I didn't need a washing for 5 days.

I washed it last night and flat ironed my hair, and the mess is back again, it looks, smells, feels greasy!

So now I'm confused.. maybe it is my shampoos D: I just don't know

Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
(female)

summer12 HB User

Please know,you are not alone with this problem. The cause of the excessive oil could be many. It can be hormonal,medicine provoked,chemical makeup,poor hair products,etc. Is your facial skin also oily? If it is more your hair and scalp,make sure you use a professional product,preferably a good clarifying shampoo,and then make sure you rinse,rinse,rinse(with cold water). I also would try using vinegar after you shampoo and then rinse. It will strip out any leftover product still on your hair.Also,be careful,what else you are using on the hair. Gels,hair spray,etc. can build up and cause excessive oil,if not washed out. Goodluck.let me know if this helps.

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-26-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Removed posting rules violation. Ms_Mod

Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
(female)

caisaco HB User

I do know what it is now.. it is my veggie dye, and silicones make it that way so I use all cone fre stuff. It still can get a little gross but barely.. it sucks though

Old 06-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
(female)

summer12 HB User

Was the vegetable dye you used to dye red,henna? You have to be careful mixing henna with other coloring products,as it has the same ingredient as in a perm. Please lay off dying your hair,get a deep conditioner,put it on before bed,with a plastic wrap,and be kind to your hair. I have seen women lose their hair,because of harsh chemicals,and want better for you. I know not everyone can afford to go to a stylist,but at least,try to find a beauty school,and have an instructor look at your hair. Take care.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
(female)

caisaco HB User

No I use conditioning veggie dyes you're supposed to leave on for hours. I always have luck with La Riche Directions veggie dye and it makes my hair soft.

But for some reason any veggie dye I use makes shampoos and conditioners "sit" on top of my head and make it look so gross.. so cone free hair products work better but they don't completely eliminate the problem. Which sucks. Permanent red called Loreal HiColor Hilights work but it is too damaging, BUT I can use any shampoo or conditioner. I only use that dye for my grow out

Old 06-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
(female)

summer12 HB User

What are cone free?The reason the products just sit on your hair,,is because when you use the vegetable dye,even if it does make your hair soft,it strips your hair of any oil,and so shampoos and conditioners won't work. I'm glad you have come up with somewhat of a solution,still think you should use a deep conditioner. Extra virgin coconut oil is fabulous and will last forever.

Closed Thread