It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2003, 03:28 PM   #1

legsarebad HB User
Thumbs down scars from ingrown hairs

Okay, here's the story. Last year for the first time ever, I started getting ingrown hairs on my lower legs. Not knowing much about what to do about this problem, I tweezed all of these hairs. That was not a good idea. It has left scars on my legs. Over the summer it cleared a bit, but the scars were still noticeable.

Now the problem is back and I've used aha lotions, loofas, etc. Nothing works. I've shaved and tweezed because that's the only way I could get rid of these. Once again, I've got red marks where these hairs were and nothing I've tried will get rid of this problem. The dermatologist prescribed Triamcinolone, but after two weeks, there isn't much difference in the redness of my legs. So after reading some messages here, I've done this:

Ordered TriReduction Protect & Restore Basic for the scarring and redness and Tend Skin for the ingrown hairs. I hope these products arrive soon because I don't know what else to do.

If anyone knows of anything else that I can do in case these products don't work, please tell me. I'd love to be able to wear shorts sometime soon. Is there any hope?

Old 05-20-2003, 08:44 AM   #2
(male)

FargoUT HB User
Tend Skin is great, although I don't pay for it. To me, it's far too expensive for the amount supplied. There is an Internet recipe for the same stuff. Look under Google for Tend Skin recipe, and you'll find it pretty quickly. There are only about five ingredients in Tend Skin, so it is very easy to replicate. Basically, you just need 70% Isopropyl Alcohol, Witch Hazel (I like to add a few drops of Tea Tree Oil too), and a bottle of non-coated, regular aspirin tablets (which is acetylsalicylic acid). Mix the witch hazel and alcohol together and drop about twenty tablets of aspirin into each bottle (try buying the same size bottles of Alcohol and Witch Hazel--you get twice the product). Let the aspirin dissolve (it will leave white junk on the bottom, but that's not a problem). I've heard that Propylene Glycol has something to do with it, and I believe this is a main ingredient in antifreeze for your car. Just look it up on the internet and see what they recommend.

On an additional note, you can buy Neutrogena's Body Clear Body Lotion (white stuff in a bottle) and Isopropyl alcohol. Neutrogena's product has all the ingredients of Tend Skin (and then some). Just use a cotton swap to apply the alcohol, and follow up with the Neutrogena lotion. Same results (in fact, it's better since the lotion contains aloe vera to help calm irritated skin).

[This message has been edited by FargoUT (edited 05-20-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2003, 02:10 PM   #3

just_imagine HB User
Thanks for that info...I also have scars from ingrown hairs, but they're on my bikini line and inner thighs...I'm thinking of try the Neutrogena MultiVitamin moisturizer because I heard it helps fade scars too...what do you think?

Old 05-20-2003, 05:49 PM   #4

Vlasik HB User

Tend skin will solve your problem. I used all the time and IT WORKS.

Old 05-23-2003, 11:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
I keep hearing about Tend Skin in regards to ingrown hairs. How does it stop the hairs from becoming ingrown and does it do anything else?

Old 05-24-2003, 12:13 PM   #6

legsarebad HB User
Update:

The Tend Skin came in the mail yesterday. I immediately tried some. Within a few hours, about 3/4 of my ingrown hairs broke through the skin. My legs are still redder than I would like them to be, and I still have some bumps, scars, and ingrown hairs; but I've only used three applications so far. My legs do look much better, and I hope by the end of the weekend that they will improve even more.

Old 05-25-2003, 06:47 PM   #7

scmom HB User
Talking

My sister was just asking me about this problem! She has very curly hair and gets really bad ingrown hairs from shaving. She's tried Nads but says it's too involved. Can anyone pass some advise to me on this subject? Thanks !

Closed Thread