It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2003, 10:14 AM   #1

Floridiangirl HB User
Question armpit rash/fungal infection

Seven months ago, a rash developed under both of my underarms. It first looked like hives, covering huge portions of my underarms and sides of my body. The rash then evolved to what looks like half-dollar sized red circles/splotches in the center portion of my underarms (worse under the left arm, and more like a sprinkling of red under the right). It itches, particularly when I feel hot or sweaty. I have been to 2 different dermatologists and was first told it was contact dermatitis from my deoderant. I have since stopped using deoderant (for 3 months now!!) and the rash has not improved. Also suggested to me was a fungal infection, and I am on my second prescription cream, also no improvement. I am desperate for suggestions.

Old 01-26-2003, 12:19 PM   #2

SobeStar HB User
The only thing I've experienced that is close to your description was a reaction to my deoderant (like your doctor suggested yours was). It was a very specific deoderant made by Secret - other Secret fragrances and lines were totally fine and no other deoderant has irritated me since. I would get a red bumpy hot ichy rash in the armpits, but it would go away within 2-3 days after using something other than that specific Secret one. I'm sorry I can't help you more!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2003, 10:07 AM   #3
(male)

deckard HB User
Hi, this is her boyfriend. Short of slicing her armpit for a biopsy is there anything else she can try? Even after seeing 2 derm's we still don't know if it's contact dermatitis, a fungus or something else entirely. Seems like this shouldn't be that hard for a skin doctor to identify but no such luck so far.

She wears only cotton shirts, no deodorant for months now and so far unable to narrow it to any kind of food reaction. Heat and moisture do seem to irritate the condition but things like Gold Bond, Hydrocortisone and prescription anti-fungal creams have had no discernible effect.

Old 01-28-2003, 10:24 AM   #4
Veteran

Anonymity HB User
Has anyone suggested that it could be folliculitis? Folliculitis is an infection of a hair follicle. It is often caused by bacteria that gathers on used razors. I had it once, and it caused a nasty rash under my arms, more on one armpit than the other. The doctor gave me a mild oral antibiotic and told me that disposable razors (or the blades in non-disposable razors) should really be thrown away after each use. I haven't any idea whether this is what you have, but it's any idea. By the way, even if you haven't been shaving, you can still get folliculitis other ways. Razor bacteria is just the most common way to contract folliculitis. You might ask your doctor about it. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Anonymity (edited 01-28-2003).]

Old 01-29-2003, 03:51 AM   #5

BlueBee HB User
Hi Floridiangirl~

This could be a long shot, but it could be a yeast infection, believe it or not. Not to be offensive, but are you overweight? I suffered the same thing as you a few years ago, had it really bad, under the breasts and armpits, it itched like crazy. The dr. prescribed LotriminAF. The nurse told me right after bathing, dry off really well, blow dry the infected area well and apply the cream. It went away after about 2 weeks. She told me they can linger for weeks and weeks.
IT was in the heat of summer when this occured.

Old 01-29-2003, 05:59 AM   #6

Floridiangirl HB User
Hi BlueBee,
No, I am not overweight, but what you said is something my second dermatologist had mentioned to me....that it is common to get this type of rash under the breast line as well as armpits. I would think that a yeast infection, like you suggested, is very similar to a fungal infection (what this derm thinks it is). I should mention this to her because maybe she'd prescribe a slightly different med that would actually work. Thanks for the thought!

Old 09-19-2003, 10:49 AM   #7

MWizard HB User
I also had a rash comparable to yours. I thought at first that it was razorburn, but even after I stopped shaving, the rash progressed. It was very itchy, and burned. It was also hot to the touch, like my armpits had a fever. Everyday that it went untreated, it spread. I finally went to the emergency room, and the doctor told me that I had a fungus. I was prescribed a oral steroid, and clotrimazole cream. It cleared it up, but as soon as I tried to use deoderant again, almost immediately the rash reappeared. Now, I spray my armpits everyday with Tinactin to keep the rash from coming back. It works, but I still haven't found a deoderant that I can use.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:32 PM   #8
Inactive

LeeLee3 HB User
Lupus causes circular rashes. Lupus can affect just the skin - skin lupus, or the body - systematic lupus. Both types of lupus have the circular rashes and/or butterfly rashes as main symptoms. There are specific tests that your doctor can do, such as a lipids test, that will determine if you have lupus. The way I understand it, certain people are predisposed to have lupus, and things like major stress, overexposure to the sun, major lifestyle changes, etc. can bring it out. I noticed a circular, silver dollar shaped rash on the back of my neck after going to the tanning bad frequently. I stopped going to the bed and it went away. I had no other symptoms of lupus, so I'm not sure if I just had skin lupus, or if it was even lupus at all. Anyway, I would go to your doctor to be on the safe side.

Old 09-19-2003, 03:44 PM   #9

Floridiangirl HB User
thanks for the recent input. As an update to my original email, I finally concluded that the rash was due to deoderant-anti-perspirant. It took 4 months of not wearing any at all (not even natural doederant) before the rash went away. When I tried the regular deoderant again, the rash returned in 1 week. Like MWizard said, I am having a hell of a time with the deoderant thing now. I can only wear a little bit of natural deoderant and that stuff really doesn't work well. Isn't there anything out there that WORKS and doesn't have harsh chemicals?

Old 11-06-2003, 01:45 AM   #10

Lexi1234 HB User
check out:
[url]www.hs-usa.org[/url]

Old 11-12-2003, 05:56 PM   #11

CouldUseSomeHelp HB User
sounds like a cure

I'm sure glad you've found the solution to the problem. Cause I know what a chronic itch can do to a person's thoughts, especially if you dwell too much.
Anyhow, I'm one for being glad it was no more than an allergic reaction..

Old 11-13-2003, 09:54 AM   #12
(male)

KingFootie HB User
CouldUseSomeHelp,
May I ask what were you allergic to?

Closed Thread