It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 08:21 AM   #1
(female)

mmyers HB User
Question In your opinion, what is the best brand of hair and nail vitamins?

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the best brand of hair and nail vitamins? In particular ones that can help stop thinning hair.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2003, 09:35 AM   #2
(female)

Susannah HB User
My mom had thinning hair while she was on some anti-depressant drugs, and the doctor told her to just start taking Vitamin E, zinc, and selenium, and to take about double the recommended dose on the bottle. Her hair came back in. My dad's hair started thinning, and he tried the same combination. It worked again. So, this is what I would suggest.

I don't thinkn it matters what brand, but in general, capsules and/or liquids are better than solid pills, since your body can break them down and absorb them more easily.

Susannah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 05:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
I don't have any health problems and had noticed that my hair was excessively moulting, no matter what the season. Personally i think losing 100 hairs per day is a load of b/s!! It's fine for somebody with very thick hair, but if you have fine hair naturally and were to lose 100 hairs every single day you would soon end up with nothing as the baby hairs can't grow fast enough to keep up with the hair loss.

Anyway, i read in a few places that certain ingredients in shampoo can possibly result in losing hair at a more rapid pace. These ingredients are ammonium laureth sulfate and sodium laureth/lauryl sulfate. I purchased a shampoo which specifically stated that it didn't include these ingredients and i noticed for the first time in 2 years that my hair wasn't moulting at such a fast rate. Now during the day when i run my fingers through my hair, which is very long, i rarely have a hair come out. After washing i have what i feel a "normal" amount come out, but nothing like the quantities which would have come out over the past 2 yrs. Possibly some of us might be allergic to the detergents used in a lot of shampoos.

Old 09-13-2003, 05:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
As for vitamins, there are a lot of "hair, skin & nail" type vitamins and they all have pretty much the same ingredients, especially Biotin, which is a B vitamin and helps things grow.

I've recently started taking a women's formula type vitamin and the brand name is Swisse. I read on these boards somewhere that it can take up to 3 months to see results from vitamin intake. The shampoo i mentioned, i began using that early this year and i saw results after 7 days and it's name is Organic Botanicals by Avalon. It's an American product i believe, so if you live in the States you should be able to find it somewhere and they also have a website and you can buy off the net.

Old 09-13-2003, 11:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
audrey if you are post menopausal the hair loss may be a result of a drop in estrogen levels which causes the hair follicles to shrink and fall out...as i understand it there is no "fix " for this type of hair loss...however my internist says that the supplement biotin is good for hair and nails.......

Old 09-15-2003, 10:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bjg.....I'm no way near menopause so i know it's not from that. I also knew i wasn't moulting due to the seasonal changes. At first i thought it was just another sales gimmick, but it was worth spending $10 to find out that this shampoo really did help me. After washing my hair i used to lose mature hairs, but also far too many baby hairs. Now i dont lose many baby hairs at all and a lot less mature hairs as well.

It probably isn't for every person who is losing hair at a rapid rate as some people may have health issues connected to the hair loss which need to be addressed, but for people who have tried everything and are healthy then i think it's worth a go.

Old 09-19-2003, 10:52 AM   #7
Inactive

LeeLee3 HB User
Biotin and silica have really helped mine to grow faster. I take 1600 mcg of biotin and 11 mg silica daily.

Old 09-20-2003, 05:07 AM   #8

cloverberry HB User
calcium is the best hair and nail product to me. I started drinking more milk and calcium fortified juice and my hair is thicker and my nails are harder.

Closed Thread