It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
(female)

linkayb HB User
Unhappy Permanent Hair Loss after chemical straightening

Hi,

I'm a 23, almost 24 year old woman. In 2010 I decided to get a perm, then only 4 months later got my hair chemically straightened. I loved it and was so happy to have my long, straight, thick hair back. But, gradually, a little at a time I noticed my hair falling out. Then one day in a photo I noticed that I could see my scalp through my hair. It has been 4 years and my hair has not came back. I have lost over half of my hair volume. My scalp in sensitive, especially at the crown, and hurts more some days than others. I have gone to the dermatologist and have gotten blood work done and I am perfectly healthy. The dermo's only suggestion was Rogaine. I tried that, nothing works. I've tried shampoos (Nioxin, Keranique, Ovation) and currently I am trying Viviscal hair tablet. (I'm almost done with my 3rd month) I haven't noticed a difference yet. But I need help. I am so self conscious about my hair, I think about it almost all day every day. I've had emotional break downs over it. All I do when I wear it down is run my fingers through it and obsess over how thin it is. I look at old pictures and my heart breaks. I wish I never got a stupid perm. I eat very healthy and work out at least 5 days a week also. Thank you for reading and for any helpful information.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
(female)

jw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB User
Re: Permanent Hair Loss after chemical straightening

I know how you feel I'm 68 but when I was in my early 50's my hair began to thin out all over ..it reached a stage where I had to make a decision to let it grow and pull in back and up and secure it with a barrette .or cut it real short and use hair gel but the short version was to much maintenance..so i decided to let it grow even though it is very thin and it is all be the same length it makes it look thicker and I never wear it down. ever..
I look at it this way my hair loss is genetic and I can't do anything about it..I'm athletic and keep my body in shape I hike, ski ,kayaking and bike ride..I know it is hard but try not to make your hair who you are.. like you I would love to have beautiful flowing hair like I used to but it is not going to happen.
hope this helps you somewhat

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-27-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
hair loss for women, thinning hair