It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

Back of head pressure and sudden brain shocks

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
ToPHeR35
(male)

ToPHeR35 HB User
Back of head pressure and sudden brain shocks

I started having random brain twitches/sudden shock type feelings in the back left area of my head a few weeks ago. Nothing serious or lingering, just sort of a sudden jolt. Also my ear on the left side seems to pop alot. Not a loud pop, just a dull one without any type of hearing loss or pain.

Within the past week I have been feeling some pressure in the back of the head. Nothing seriously debilitating, but just enough to know it's there. Sometimes in the middle of the day it does slighlty increase and i still get the random shock type sensations on the left side. The shocks are instantaneous and come on randomly and make me stop and worry but there are no after effects. My ear still pops on the left side as well. Is this something serious or maybe bad posture or allergies? I work in an office at a computer and I do look down alot at my tablet at home (bad posture). I'm just worried of something serious like an aneurysm or brain tumor. I saw my doctor last week and he didn't seem worried saying the ear popping could just be a slight inbalance and reccomended flonase.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
tyyy68
(male)

tyyy68 HB User
Re: Back of head pressure and sudden brain shocks

Do you have dizziness when the shocks happen?

I've been having similar symptoms (back of the head pressure, occasional shocks, and dizziness) for the past three months and was also concerned. I would obviously get checked by your doctor if the symptoms continue, but I had blood work and an MRI of the brain done recently and both came back clear, so definitely stay optimistic.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
ToPHeR35
(male)

ToPHeR35 HB User

Maybe slight dizzines but no loss of balancd or loss of memory or anything. Just dull pressure and the random zap/shocks in the back left side. I did feel a little drowsy and not wanting alot of stimulation today, but i workout every morning no problem. mostly comes on when I'm sitting or laying down propped up reading or something in bed. The zaps scare me when they do happen for fear of a rupture or tumor or something, but they're just random and a split second in length.

Last edited by ToPHeR35; 03-28-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
ToPHeR35
(male)

ToPHeR35 HB User

The shocks have slowly diminished over the past couple days. I maybe had 1 minor one yesterday, but nothing serious. The new thing is constant head pressure, particularly in the back of the head. Sometimes it will travel to the front around my nose and slightly in my upper cheek, but the majority of it seems to be at the back of the head. It will also travel around to my left temple area as well. Could this be sinus related? It's nothing excruciating that has me laying on the ground or anything. It's just pressure and I feel drowsy and sort of drunk-like? My left ear still pops as well.

Last edited by ToPHeR35; 03-30-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
tyyy68
(male)

tyyy68 HB User

Honestly, I feel like I could've written your post myself. I suppose it could be sinus-related, but after all my tests (including the brain mri) came back negative, my doctor feels like they're tension headaches from anxiety.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
ToPHeR35
(male)

ToPHeR35 HB User

Thank you tyyy68!

It feels so reassuring to know that I'm not the only one with these same incidents!

It's so weird because I would say about 2 hrs ago it was at its most "severe" moment. Again, nothing debilitating but enough to make you stop and think what's going on? It felt all around the back of my head and sort of also in the front around the nose and cheeks and then went away, but not completely. I still have the very dull pressure but it seems to move around now from left to right to back etc... My left ear is still randomly popping, but it isn't clogged. The head "zaps" seems to come on when I have my head looking down at like a tablet or something, but none yet so far today. My biggest fear is brain tumor or anyuerism even thought I don't have any other symptoms that would apply so maybe it is anxiety? I am recently coming off of Gastritis/GERD and re-injured my surgical repairs shoulder a couple months ago that I'm still have issues with and no diagnosis....

Old 03-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
tyyy68
(male)

tyyy68 HB User

I completely know what you mean. I've been searching for answers for months about what this could be, and nothing ever seems to turn up. There are a lot of people with similar symptoms though, so that's reassuring. My worst problem has been the head pressure in the back of my head (and sometimes on the top and slightly in the front) and brain fog which have been easing pretty significantly lately, but every now and then (it generally happens once every few weeks) I get a buzzing sensation in the back of my head for a few seconds and then feel pretty dizzy. I get that the uncertainty can be worrying, but it's important to remember that the chances of having a brain tumor are pretty astronomically small, even more so compared to tension headaches or anxiety which can cause all these symptoms we've been having.

Last edited by tyyy68; 03-30-2015 at 02:24 PM.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
ToPHeR35
(male)

ToPHeR35 HB User

It's funny you mentioned top of the head as that is where my dull pressure is currently right on top slightly in front of the ears and kind of in the temples. I realize it's my anxiety thinking worst case scenario as I am a very healthy 27/m who works out every morning with no problem. I did notice that turning my head to the side I will get some dizziness but nothing that makes me fall over or anything.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #9
tyyy68
(male)

tyyy68 HB User

We're pretty much in the same boat. I was a completely healthy 21 year old man before this happened. My symptoms have definitely gotten better lately, so there's light at the end of the tunnel. It may take a while, but you'll get back to normal. In the meantime, try to think positively. Worrying will only make the pressure worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to tyyy68 For This Useful Post:
ToPHeR35 (03-30-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
ToPHeR35
(male)

ToPHeR35 HB User

So today the pressure isn't as intense, but I am noticing constant dizziness and I still have my ear pops. Could the dull pressure, dizziness, and ear pops be related to an ear infection or something? The slight head pressure seems to come on more so when I sit down... Now I am feeling pressure on both sides of my neck like right underneath my ears. Came on kind of intense with pressure also around my nose and eyes as well, but mostly behind the ears at the neck and the dizziness. Just took some allergy medication about 30 mins ago so we will see if that helps...so weird..I also just had a quick "zap". It seems to somehow be connected to some movement in my nose, but it's like deep in back like behind the cheeks. I'm so confused. Now I feel it all on the left side right above my ear.

Last edited by ToPHeR35; 03-31-2015 at 02:00 PM.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #11
Renee1117
(female)

Renee1117 HB User

Hi Sorry you are going through this, I know how you feel. For three months I've had the same symptoms, dizziness, pressure in my head, sometimes brain fog , neck pain, back pain, ear pressure, tingling in my arms and legs all on my left side. Now I have pressure and tenderness on my scalp and above my right ear and eye floaters, which is from my occiptal neuralgia. I didn't have a fever but I felt as if I had some sort of infection as I was tired all the time. Through this time my anxiety was through the roof and I googled all the time, which did not help at all, but I was trying anything to make myself feel better, which in the end caused me to be stressed out. So try to stay away from google if you can :-)

I've been to the ER so many times as well. I had a CT scan w/o contrast that was normal as they were making sure I did not have a stroke. I had a electrocardiogram and wore a heart monitor for 72 hours, which all came down to chest pressure and palpitations. ( All my anxiety). I recently had a MRI done of my cervical spine and my brain to rule out anything abnormal. My results came back today and I have bulging discs at c2-3, c3-4,c4-5 and c5-6. They also found a 0.66cm Thornwalt cyst. which I have to go to the ENT for. I do have allergic sinusitis as well so I am not surprised that this is related to my nose. Also bulging disc can cause dizziness and pain as well as head pressure as it can be pressing on a nerve which causes head pressure and headaches. I am going to get PT and nerve blocks in the meantime.

For my infection that I believe was related to my ear, I drank vinegar, lemon, garlic, cayenne pepper and honey and I still am, for my immune system and to fight any infections. I am not sure if you are allergic to any of that, but for me it helped a great deal for the infections. I was also on prednisone for a while which helped a bit, but gave me a stomach ulcer in the end.

I hope that you find out what is causing the pain for you and wish you the best. Stress and anxiety can also make things worse, stay positive.

God Bless.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #12
ToPHeR35
(male)

ToPHeR35 HB User

Thanks for the reply Renee!

I am starting to have similar symptoms to your post.

My current symptoms are the pressure in the back of the head, random popping in my left ear, dizziness, and now I am getting the eye floaters more so in the left eye. The pressure seems to be more so in the back and back sides of the head, but will also travel around to above the temple area from time to time. Is also seems like the dizziness is more sudden when I turn my head too quickly. Also, when I lay down to go to sleep I feel some pulsating like it is my heartbeat in the back of my head and also can hear it if I sleep on my side. I don't have any intense headaches, however.

Last edited by ToPHeR35; 04-13-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:24 AM   #13
Renee1117
(female)

Renee1117 HB User

You are welcome.

So sorry you are still in pain.

I would suggest getting an MRI of the head and cervical spine. This is also good for the ENT doctor to review if needed. Try not to stress and if you can use cold packs to relieve pain I would try that more so than NSAIDs.

Also getting your eyes checked may be an option as well with the floaters. My floaters are still present but not as much. I am still waiting to see my ENT, in the meantime I am getting PT
I too notice if I turn a certain way I was dizzy and driving around a curb was awful for me. I think I also had some middle ear infection. But cervical neck issues can affect your ears as well.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #14
ToPHeR35
(male)

ToPHeR35 HB User

Similar symptoms today.

A few eye floaters in my left eye and random left ear popping/clogged feeling. I will also get occasional dull dizziness if I move too quickly like going from walking to sitting. It's weird because I don't really have a vision problem, but I do notice the floaters in my left eye and I don't have any balancing problems.

Last edited by ToPHeR35; 04-14-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #15
Renee1117
(female)

Renee1117 HB User

I am glad that you are not off balance that is one less thing to worry about.

The ear popping is weird, I know when I turn my head to the left or right, I can hear my sinuses popping if that makes sense. It could be related to ENT, or your neck. Inner ear infections can cause these things from my experience, but so can the neck.

Reply Reply