It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 09:01 PM   #1

fancyface22 HB User
Unhappy Headaches while sleeping

I have been having real bad headaches while I am sleeping. I will wake in the middle of the night with an excruciating headache. I can't get up or move for the pain, until my head stops hurting. I just usually lay there until I fall asleep again. I've been having these headaches for a little over a year now. I tell my doctor but I guess they don't believe they are serious. I had a MRI done of my head but they say it was find and that was the end of it. Has anyone else have headaches like this?

Old 12-05-2003, 04:18 AM   #2

shay501 HB User
Re: Headaches while sleeping

yes.. i've had those episodes myself. although i'm not really clear if they may be anything other than migraines (continuously suffer from them myself). if the pain is excruciating enough for you then migraines could explain it. have you tried taking anything prior to going to bed? i.e. excedrin pm, tylenol pm, etc. if not.. that could help. or it seems to help me to some extent anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to shay501 For This Useful Post:
ksc1968 (12-27-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 05:34 AM   #3

saxgirl HB User

Yeah, I've had a CT but no MRI...just a couple incidental findings that my docs say don't cause symptoms. I get the headaches during the day sometimes too, but they're worse at night. I've tried all the usual migraine stuff...imitrex, ultram, inderal, vicodin, acupuncture, etc...the only thing that's helped is topamax. I guess it can't be too serious, b/c I've had them for a few years & I'm still here.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:14 AM   #4
Inactive

spongebob_mom HB User
Yes, I understand

I am notorious for getting headaches in the middle of the night. I hate it because that's when your body is supposed to be resting. Nothing is worse than waking up in pain. My hubby is used to waking up and hearing me rub my head, near tears. It's awful, I know.

I have told my Dr. the same thing. I don't know why sleep triggers the headaches, but for me it does. I took Pamelor for a while and I had great success with it. It was so great to sleep all night with no headaches. BUT, I couldn't tolerate some of the other side effects. I'm going back to my Dr. on Monday to try something new.

Good luck, I know how annoying a middle-of-the-night headache can be.

Jane

Old 12-06-2003, 05:28 AM   #5
(female)

herzel HB User

Yes, I too get severe headaches during the night and like right now I have one so bad, I woke up with it. Sometimes when I wake up with them I take some Asprin and drink alot of coffee and sometimes that seems to help. I don't know now I just took the Asprin. I don't think anyone understands unless they too get these bad headaches.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:26 AM   #6
(female)

Laney00 HB User

yes, I wake up with them too, no matter when I wake up whether its in the middle of the night or in the morning. Sometimes I get lucky and they go away once I get moving in the morning. No idea on why this occurs....my CT and MRI was normal also...????????

Old 12-07-2003, 02:05 AM   #7

shay501 HB User

just a thought... could it be because when we're lying down more blood reaches our head and since the blood vessels may be restricted from muscle tension, etc. the forced pressure of the blood trying to reach our brains causes pain? hmm.... again.. just pondering :P

Old 12-07-2003, 08:53 AM   #8

saxgirl HB User

I think in my case, my docs are wrong about my pineal cyst being incidental. I've heard they can cause intermittent hydrocephalus, which could explain why my one CT didn't show it (the CT was scheduled, not ER...I didn't have a headache at the time). It also expains why it's worse at night (gravity) and why topamax helps (it decreases CSF production).

Old 12-07-2003, 09:45 AM   #9
Inactive

spongebob_mom HB User

I have always wondered why night headaches occur. I am glad to hear that it happens to more people than just me. I really thought this wasn't normal. I think the above post about lying down and blood flow trying to flow might have some truth to it. It sure is hard to start the day with a headache, though.

Sometimes when I get up and walk around, my headache subsides too.

Jane

Old 12-10-2003, 06:27 PM   #10
(female)

sunnybear1962 HB User
Arrow Re: Headaches while sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob_mom
I have always wondered why night headaches occur. I am glad to hear that it happens to more people than just me. I really thought this wasn't normal. I think the above post about lying down and blood flow trying to flow might have some truth to it. It sure is hard to start the day with a headache, though.

Sometimes when I get up and walk around, my headache subsides too.

Jane
I also wake up with headaches, but its not everyday, i have a bad back so i sleep on a recliner and still get the headaches, and im not laying my head flat down. usually after i am up they go away. i do go to a chiropractor every once in awhile when i cant take the pain anymore, and it usually helps when he cracks my neck. i think it is the way my head moves when i am sleeping, kind if like tilted to the left and that may have something to do with my neck and headaches. i dont really know.

Old 12-12-2003, 01:45 PM   #11

MagnaV45 HB User

I also get middle of the nite migraines. Don't know why they hit then but it seems to be the times I wake up are the worse headaches. I usually take an Imitrex or Relpax, 3 Excedrin Migraine and and ice pack then go back to bed. If I can go back to sleep then it will be (mostly) gone in 2-4 hours. Good luck and if you find a "cure" for this let the rest of us know.
r

Old 12-22-2003, 08:42 AM   #12

iamyada HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyface22
I have been having real bad headaches while I am sleeping. I will wake in the middle of the night with an excruciating headache. I can't get up or move for the pain, until my head stops hurting. I just usually lay there until I fall asleep again. I've been having these headaches for a little over a year now. I tell my doctor but I guess they don't believe they are serious. I had a MRI done of my head but they say it was find and that was the end of it. Has anyone else have headaches like this?
Have you investigated the possiblility of sleep apnea? It can cause headaches at night.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #13
(female)

calendergirl HB User

I wake up every night with a headache.At times they are so bad all I can do is cry.I have had x-rays,mri,mra,ct and shows nothing.Now my dr doesn't do anything about them.I haven't sleep all night in 3 years.I can go to bed and in 2 hrs I will wake with a h/a.I'm a nurse and I do know there is a night time headache but its getting the dr to do anything about it.I don't go to bed till 2-3 am cause I can't go to sleep and then when I do sleep I get woke up with a headache.
My h/a is always at the base of the skull in the back.I can't work cause of them.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #14

MagnaV45 HB User

As your Dr. about putting you on a mild BP med. I take 50mg. of atenalol at night and it seems to help for the most part. Then it the migraine hits in the middle of the nite I take Relpax and pain pill and go back to bed. Stress the MIGRAINE part to the Dr. My Dr. said if you have them under control during the day then no matter what you do it may still hit in the middle of the nite for some damn reason.
Blessed Be- R.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #15
(female)

calendergirl HB User

My DR said it wasn't migraines and I was on a b/p med for awhile cause my pluse rate got up to 140 and it was due to hyperthyroidism.Now that I'm on a med for that its ok and I still had the h/a even taking it.
I'm thinking about a new Dr.

Closed Thread