It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 06:30 PM   #1

DTUMLIN HB User
Imitrex Long Term Use Side Effects?

I have been using Imitrex for my migraines for over 7 years but have found that within the last couple of years I have had memory problems which are getting worse by the day, trouble concentrating,can not put my words together correctly,and some sympthoms of depression. All of these things are not like me at all. I was given some depression medicine at one time however it did not seem to help in any way. When I started taking Imitrex years ago my doctor told me about the heart side effects with the drug. I have had no heart issue but am concerned about my mental health. I did not learn until recently that Imitrex has side effects listed along these lines. Does anyone know how long this disclaimer has been on the Imitrex packaging? I was just so happy to get something to work I never questioned what it is doing to my mind and body.

The Following User Says Thank You to DTUMLIN For This Useful Post:
peggyb68 (06-22-2011)
Old 02-04-2004, 04:56 AM   #2

zavey HB User
Re: Imitrex Long Term Use Side Effects?

i've also been using imitrex for about seven years... and quite frequently. i get migraines and tension headaches on a daily basis. i've tried just about all of the migraine medications out there and the only ones that work for me are imitrex injections and zomig zmt 5mg tablets. i also take high doses of oxycodone and hydrocodone for the pain.

i've thought the same thing about migraine medications. when a person has to use it as much as i do, what is it really going to end up doing to me? i don't know. these drugs haven't been around long enough for anyone to know the long-term effects. but sometimes it's torture laying in bed all day with the lights out, no sound, no movement, intense pain, knowing that medication is there that can help you. so i guess i choose to use the drugs. i try to limit how often i use each per month, but i know i use more than should be used.

i also have cognitive problems, which i didn't have several years ago. some of this is due to brain dysfunction/damage and some due to severe depression and medication (xanax, prozac, seroquel, etc.). as far as the imitrex causing the cognitive problems, such as being unable to focus/concentrate or remember things, i don't know what role imitrex plays in that, if any.

Last edited by zavey; 02-04-2004 at 04:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 05:48 PM   #3
(female)

Laney00 HB User
Question Re: Imitrex Long Term Use Side Effects?

I have noticed myself being a little foggy headed for the last year, and wondered why...have been using zomig/amerge for a few years...hmmm. I stopped smoking pot almost 10 years ago so can't blame that!
If anyone knows of any studies done on these drugs I'd like to know.

Old 02-07-2004, 02:34 PM   #4
Inactive

Karla HB User
Red face Re: Imitrex Long Term Use Side Effects?

I suffer from headaches on a daily basis due to migraines and cluster headaches. For several years I used Imitrix and zomig 6-8 times a day every day all the time. I finally was put on pain meds to block the ha pain and have not needed imitrix etc. in over 1 1/2 years. I have for the last 4 years had severe problems with memory and concentration. I have no short term memory at all. I can't focus it really sucks. I was put on SSDI due to this but I thought it was from depression and the headaches causing it. Now the depression has lifted and the ha have stopped but the memory problems are still there. Maybe there is something to this. I never heard that imitrix etc could cause these types of problems. I know my exsesive imitrix use caused me to have anxiety attacks but with the choice between that or pain I choose to deal with the anxiety attacks.

Old 04-22-2004, 06:29 AM   #5

debbier919 HB User
Re: Imitrex Long Term Use Side Effects?

I have also used Imitrex injections for years. I have never noticed any changes in my memory. I never knew that was a side effect.
I have actually given myself up to 3 injections a day (per my doctors instructions) to relieve my pain. I will settle loosing my memory a little to the pain that my cluster headaches and migraine cause. I don't know what I would do without my shots!

Closed Thread