It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2004, 09:39 AM   #1

mek918 HB User
Xanax helps - why?

I have had a headache - one that has never gone away, since July. After all the appropriate tests, they have decided it is migraine.Some days worse than others, but 99% of the time I can't make it through a day without medications. We've tried all the triptans, fioricet, TPIs, antidepressants to no avail. My headaches are like awful sinus infections - but I know that is not the problem. Intense pressure on my face, particularly behind my right eye, and occasional twitching.

I've been taking low dosage of xanax for the past 3 months and it definitely helps - not sure why.If I were to take more of it, I would have more relief but I'm afraid to keep increasing my dosage of this drug. I try to take no more than .5 mg twice a day.

We haven't tried antiseizure meds bc I am trying to get pregnant (the xanax won't build up in my system). My neurologist is recommending botox injections.

But I am curious to know if anyone else gets relief from xanax, and am wondering why that would be?

The Following User Says Thank You to mek918 For This Useful Post:
janmackintosh (03-09-2012)
Old 02-25-2004, 10:37 AM   #2

Tony1 HB User
Re: Xanax helps - why?

Headaches get worse and come on more frequently when you are anxious and feeling stress. At least for me. Are you always worried about getting another headache? I have used imipramine and xanax to treat my chonic headaches with success.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2004, 11:24 AM   #3

mek918 HB User

well, I'm always "worried" about it because it absolutely never goes away. The xanax actually seems to relieve the pain and pressure.

The headache usually is minimal first thing in the morning but by 10am it starts to get worse (whether I'm at work or on vacation - no difference). Gets progressively worse throughout the day. When I take the xanax, within 1/2 hour I start to get relief.

I hate taking it every day, but if it works, I'm not going to knock it for now...

Old 03-14-2004, 10:40 AM   #4

zavey HB User

it helps yer migraines? wow. i take 4mg of xanax a day, plus 2 extra mg if i have an anxiety attack. doesn't do a thing for my migraines or tension headaches...

Old 03-16-2004, 01:19 AM   #5

Tony1 HB User

Mek you sound like I me back when I had bad headaches. I would wake up and feel like I didn't have one. But of course that is all I thought about from the moment I woke. Then gradually it got worse and worse and I worried more and more. I just woke up and dwelled on it. Your anxiety and stress could be making it worse. I always found that something like xanax and ativan gave me temorary relief. There may be a reason for it.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:24 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Since a migrane is not caused by stress, but by inflammed nerves, right? the only way that Xanax may help is psychologically.

It may be directly related to your Xanax dose though. If you are not taking enough, it causes headaches.

Old 04-23-2004, 06:07 AM   #7

tanyak55 HB User

Hi everyone,
Xanax works well for most people with things like silent migraines,dizziness,inner ear disorders blah blah,because even though it is an anti-anxiety drug,it is an excellent vestibular suppressant.
Cheers

Old 04-23-2004, 10:11 AM   #8
Inactive

Karla HB User

I have taken xanax everyday for the last couple of months for anxiety and it has given me a headache and not helped my other headahes at all. Just given me a new kind of ha.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:28 PM   #9
Mart7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyak55
Hi everyone,
Xanax works well for most people with things like silent migraines,dizziness,inner ear disorders blah blah,because even though it is an anti-anxiety drug,it is an excellent vestibular suppressant.
Cheers
I have taken xanax off and on for severe vertigo; so I definitely agree. I do not take it regularly .. just when i get a vertigo flare .. usually only about two times a year and it really makes it a different. When I am having my issues with vertigo, I can't even get out of bed .. terrible balance issues. Taking a low dose of xanax really helps.
-MJ

Old 08-18-2004, 10:03 AM   #10

tanyak55 HB User

yep.Xanax is definately the way to go.You're lucky a small dose gives you relief,I have to shove at least 4mg down my gob to help,and i shouldn't because i have a dodgy liver.The only problem with Xanax is that it's very short lasting and wears off in a couple of hours.Oh well,no other meds help.

Old 08-18-2004, 10:56 AM   #11

HeadacheWoman HB User

Xanax has worked for me somewhat. I have to take 1mg at a time though, and need to take about 3mg a day to not have a terrible headache. If I don't take it, the headaches are terrible, and I've been wondering why it works lately too, as none of the migraine meds I've tried have done anything and I have a constant daily headache. I am starting to try Neurontin again and my doctor told me that I have to work myself up to a dose of about 1800mg to see any effect. Has anyone had any success with these types of headaches who have been helped by high does of Neurontin?

Closed Thread