It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 08:38 PM   #1

LADY BELLE HB User
Question Headaches In 8 Year Old?

I have a 8 year old son.

Past 6 weeks, he been complain with his head hurts.

Dr saids migrains.

He cannot stand light or any sound.
No movemnet at all around him.
His vision is sligly impared, he said things look blurry.
His hearing seems to be real down at the times of the h/a.
He has a little trouble walking during this time as well.

We are on some tylone W/codeine every 4-6 hours for pain.

We have a ct set up for later in the week.

anyone have any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2004, 09:10 AM   #2

Alayna HB User
Re: Headaches In 8 Year Old?

This is alot more common than you think. I have 2 nephews that started with migraines before 10 yrs old.
1stly, throw the tylenol 3's away. For migraine in just about eveyone I know who suffers from migraine (Many in my family do, just about every other person) The codiene can actually end up causing the migraines! (it's called rebound headache, if you want to look it up) And besides, there are many other medications that work a thousand times better, however, considering your son's age, this may have limitations. Doctors tend to prescribe what they are familiar with, and some doctors are very nervous, especially with kids.
Has your son has a CT or a MRI? It might be a good idea to ask for a referral to a neurologist, who is better equipped with the knowledge your son needs to fight this anyhow.
Most narcotics don't really help with migraine. Some help you not to care that you have a migraine, but you need a migraine medication.
Aside from medication, diet and homeopathic remedies can be of service to control the intensity and frequency of the migraine.
There are a surprising amount of foods that trigger a migraine in some people, they include peanuts, cottonseed oil (which I never heard of till I started reading labels, and I find it's in EVERYTHING!) Yeast, vinegar ...there are more, search google. There are also foods to add, like salmon for the fatty acids, and low glycemic fruits and veggies. I also have known coffee to stop migraine in certain people. My brother has stopped a budding migraine cold with a stiff cup of coffee. And he never drinks coffee ordinarily, so it wasn't just a quick fix for a caffine withdrawl headache.
The herbal remedies are many, but the few that I know to have had some benifit are feverfew, candida stop (a yeast control herbal remedy, to be used while cutting sugar from the diet) as well as GSE (grapefruit seed extract- also cuts yeast).
I cannot prove it, but I beleive my husbands headaches came from an explosion of yeast and then the toxins from the yeast in his body. Just cutting the sugar reduced the frequency of headaches.
Good Luck, and if you are so inclined, God Bless. This can be a long messy road, and it really relies on your willingness to search, and not just trust what one person or doctor says. You kinda have to pick your own road, and find out what works.
Alayna

[

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2004, 12:50 PM   #3
Inactive

Pyroenix HB User

Wow, sounds exactly like me when I was that age. I started getting migraines ahen I was around 8 years old, and have been getting them periodically ever since (Im 15 now). Even tho I was so young, my doctor told my mom to give me excedrine migraine. That with sleep in a quiet, dim room helped my headaches go away faster. I thought they were food related, because I was allergic to everything when I was a baby. I still havent really found any food that triggers them yet tho >.< I think mine are mostly triggered because of a lack of water. Also, I got them much more frequently when I was younger than I do now. I just had my first one of the year today (as far as I can remember ).

Does he ever come to you and complain of blurry vision or a feeling of numbness? Those are my major cues to when Im getting a migraine. As soon as I notice, I take excedrine and take a nap. Hope I helped a little bit, and I hope your son doesnt have to deal with them too much.

Old 03-27-2004, 05:11 PM   #4

johngib HB User

aura migraines, I started when I was 7 years old I get the blurred vision, numbness, light sencitiveity, hear things diffrently hard to explain, vomitting, diarrhea, confusion what makes it hard to walk talk things like that, theres alot you can do to help prevent them, keep a jornal of his activitys, and his diets some times surtain foods causes them, video games if played alot can make him have one, but do some research.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:35 PM   #5

mitoR2cool HB User

I started getting headaches when I was 10 yrs old and they got progressively worse as I entered my 30's. I was on all kinds of medications and feeling tired/exhausted all the time. My husband noticed that when I ate more often and when I had solid foods (high proteins like meat, nuts, etc) I had fewer migranes/stress headaches. I had my bloodsugar checked out and my blood pressure. I found that I was not diabetic, but had borderline hypoglycemia, high metabolism, and low blood pressure. All of this made my headaches/migranes worse. I would end up in the ER.

Since I changed my diet and learned to handle stress better, I only get really bad migranes a couple of times a year.

My son started getting headaches at age 9. He too has been doing better with a well balanced diet and reduced sugar/junk foods. He has decreased his complaints over the last 6 yrs. As a teenager, he only gets them minimally throughout the year. This may not apply to your child, but have your peds doc do a complete physical and talk to a nutrionist. It may help to keep his glycemic index at a certain level.

My heart goes out to you, it is hard to see your child suffer.

mitoR2cool

Old 04-08-2004, 03:42 PM   #6
Inactive

Karla HB User

I would highly recomend that your child see a neurologist who specializes in ha. A pediatric neruo would be even better. Two of my sons started getting daily migraines and one also gets cluster headaches. They had MRI's done to rule out anything serious. Then the dr recomended a preventative medication to try to stop the ha before it starts. We still haven't found one that works yet and the kids are not crazy about taking medicine daily. However, they were both perscribed midrin to abort the ha once it started. The meds are very limited to what you can give to a child for ha because of their age. They also are very reluctant to prescribe any kind of narcotic because those cause rebound ha and are not good in general for little ones. i also suffer from migraines and cluster headaches so my children and I all support eachother. Try to find out as much as you can about migraines because some drs are very ignorant about them and you need to be a good advocate for you child. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2004, 06:05 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

My 7 yr old has suffered from migraines since he was 3. He had a Cat Scan done and everything came back normal. He was then referred to a neurologist who prescribed him an antihistimine for kids.(Periactin)He was getting the headaches about 3-4 times a week and it was really interfering with his schooltime. It took about a week but it finally got into his system. He takes 1/2 tab at night and 1/2 a tab in morning. He feels its a food allergy but when he gets them we keep track of what he ate and its never the same. Eventually we need to figure out what he is allergic to. He suffers much like the kids above. But in the last 4 months he's had no headaches..YEAH!!

Old 04-09-2004, 11:32 AM   #8
(female)

CTuit HB User

My son has had migraines since the first grade. As has been stated, migraines can be caused by a number of things. Keep an eye on what he eats. You might want to try keeping a journal of when the migraines occur. We finally figured out my son's were due to the barometric changes. He'd get them when a major front came through. Stress can also bring them on. The best thing most people can do for them is to try and go to sleep in a dark room. Quite often they feel much better when they wake up. My son would sleep for hours. It is also quite common for children who get migraines to grow out of them. My son is now 17 and doesn't get anywhere near as many as he used to.

Closed Thread