It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2004, 07:54 AM  
(female)

Dee74 HB User
Sudden severe headache, numbness in face?

Hi all, not like I don't have enough medical problems as it is, now I've got something pretty weird going on. I'm a 29 yr old female.

Yesterday, I was just sitting here, smoking (yes I know, bad bad - trying to quit though), and all of a sudden, I got a SEVERE headache that felt like electrical shocks going from the back of my head on the left side, through my head to the front right side. Then the dizziness and facial numbness came. The numbness was mostly on the left side on my cheek spreading just to the outer right corner of my mouth. This lasted for about 10 minutes max.

Then last night, it happened again, only the numbness was just right around my lips. I wasn't smoking at the time. I woke up this morning with the same thing, only the headache is no where near as bad, and is mostly just in the back of my head. The numbness is only my bottom lip. It's not completely numb, more like a pins and needles type of feeling. I'm extremely tired even though I actually got plenty of sleep last night. I can barely keep my eyes open.

I'm calling my doctor first thing in the morning.. does anyone have any clue what this is??? I was thinking maybe it was related to smoking, like possibly just a lack of oxygen type thing, but honestly I have no clue. I do suffer from headaches quite often, mostly tension type, with the occasional migraine that lasts for 3 days.

Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2004, 04:41 PM  

beach_tiglet HB User
Re: Sudden severe headache, numbness in face?

I think I would go to the ER NOW. I don't mean to alarm you, but when the headache comes first, and the headache and dizziness come second, that could be a problem other than a migraine, a more serious problem. It could just be a migraine, that has happened to me before, but my doctor has made me come to the ER for CT scans and other tests when the symptoms go in the order you have described. Hopefully it is just a migraine, but you DON'T want to mess with it. DO NOT mention migraines to the ER admitting person, just say you have severe head pain, dizziness, and numbness and it is scaring you. Describe everything you did in your post, just leave out the fact that you have migraines so that they don't leave you sitting out in the waiting room forever. Please let me know what happens. Dana

Old 06-14-2004, 04:40 AM  
(female)

Dee74 HB User

beach_tiglet, thank you for replying. As you can see, I'm still alive

My husband was trying to get me to go to the ER last night, and I WAS tempted, but I have been a few times already because of severe migraines that I get that last for 3 days at a time. A cat scan was run the last time I was in. I think it was probably a year ago-ish? Not really sure, so I HIGHLY doubt they'd even consider doing another one.

The headache is still there, just not the electrical shock-like pain. More of an all over throb with a tight and heavy feeling in the back of my head. I'm still getting really dizzy, but only when I stand. The numbess, or pins and needles feeling is just staying in my bottom lip.. almost right in the center. Also last night, I had a pretty bad bout of double vision, but it only lasted for about half an hour. This could be a weird migraine I guess.. not sure, it's definately different from the others. I keep thinking, or maybe just trying to convince myself, that if it was something serious, something would have happened by now.

I am calling my doctor as soon as her office opens this morning.. just to see what she says.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-14-2004, 04:57 AM  

beach_tiglet HB User

I'm glad you're hanging in there...I have complicated migraines with stroke symptoms...my neurologist has always said that if the dizziness and numbness come first, everything is ok, but if the headache comes first, get to a hospital as it could be a stroke or something serious. In my case, it was just a long drawn out complicated migraine, but it scared even the neurologist. They have never hesitated to run CT scans on me when I have strange headaches like that just to make sure. The insurance has never questioned them. It hasn't happened often, but too often for my liking, it's scary....I hope your doctor will take it seriously or that you will go somewhere soon. Please keep me posted.

Old 06-14-2004, 05:00 AM  

beach_tiglet HB User

How is your walking...are you having trouble walking in a straight line, tripping, etc.? The dizziness and double vision with the pain in the back of the head scare me.

Old 06-14-2004, 05:17 AM  
(female)

Dee74 HB User

This morning, I'm walking ok. Last night when the double vision hit, I couldn't walk a straight line to save my life. I felt like I was going to pass out every time I stood up and I just couldn't see straight at all. My husband had to help up the stairs last night because I kept tripping and I didn't want to fall.

I spoke too soon when I said the electrical shock like pain was gone this morning.. it just hit again a couple minutes ago, but it's not NEAR as bad as yesterday and seems to be centered in the back of my head only.

Could it be a pinched nerve maybe? I mean, could that make you dizzy and all? It just seems weird that it's all coming from the back of my head.. or at least that's where it seems to be coming from.

What makes me think it's a migraine is the fact that it hurts to touch my head back there.. just the slightest touch hurts like hell. It always does that when I get a migraine.

See, I've already got alot of medical probs going on as it is.. I've got unexplained joint and muscle pain with a bit of weakness at time. Doc thinks either Fibromyalgia, MS, Lupus, or even Lyme. I'm actually supposed to go to the Rheumatologist today to get the blood results back on the Lyme test and a few others. This has been going on for over 3 years now. I don't know if any of this is tied together with this weird headache or not. I'm wondering if NOW they'll want to do an MRI on my head. That's one test that's never been done yet.

Old 06-14-2004, 05:52 AM  

beach_tiglet HB User

It's normal to have trouble walking with the double vision, I was wondering what it was like walking when the double vision cleared up and its fine...that's good. I would think that they'll still want a CT scan...that's how they can tell if it's a migraine or something more serious. The part of my head affected when this happens gets really sore too, but because I have stroke like symptoms, we've had to sit down and talk about the progression and how do I know when to be alarmed and not alarmed, especially since I do have high blood pressure.

It freaked me out the first time it happened and the time the symptoms went in reverse order. My husband had a massive stroke at age 32 and so I guess I'm just hypersensitive and overcautious with things like this. Are you calling the neurologist this morning?

Old 06-14-2004, 06:07 AM  
(female)

Dee74 HB User

Well, I don't have a neurologist, so I'm just calling my regular doc.. she won't be in for another 20 minutes. I'm not sure what she'll want me to do. Only prob is that if she wants me to come in or go in for a cat scan anytime soon, I won't be able to since I have no car.. my husband has to take our only car to work each day. He's supposed to be getting out early today anway to take me to the Rheumy, but he may have to get out a little earlier if she wants tests done asap. I have no other way to get around. It sucks

Old 06-14-2004, 06:12 AM  

beach_tiglet HB User

Yeah, that does bite...when I had to go to the ER that time the doctor to me to meet him, I was so dizzy I couldn't drive, and my husband was a long ways away at work. I was at work, like an idiot, so my assistant principal took me to the ER and my husband met us there. Is there a neighbor or someone who could take you in a pinch? Maybe it won't come to that. We've almost talked until the office has opened...

Old 06-14-2004, 06:18 AM  
(female)

Dee74 HB User

I'm not really having anymore trouble walking than I normally do. I'm always clumsy on my feet - it's just part of whatever is going on with me besides this headache thing.

Right now, I'm not really DIZZY, but I swear I feel like I'm on drugs or something. If you've ever taken strong painkillers, you'll know that "high" drugged up feeling you get. That's what I feel like this morning. Kind of like I'm in a daze. It's weird. But I also get that feeling by the third day of my migraines. They ALWAYS last 3 days.. rarely 4 days, and then I'm exhausted.

When I get the migraines though, I don't have a sound sensitivity, just a little sensitive to light. Doc has never really told me if it's just classic migraine or what kind it is really. She's given me a few different things for them.. none that have helped though. There was one that I took that made it ten times worse, and I landed in the ER that night and was actually given Dilaudid and Phenergan because it was so unbelievably bad that I was vomiting constantly. I'm wanting to say it was Maxalt that I took that night, but I'm not sure though. A cat scan was done that night but they found nothing.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:23 AM  
(female)

Dee74 HB User

lol I'm trying to kill time so I don't think about it so much. It actually makes the pain worse to lie down.. it's like the room starts spinning when I close my eyes. So I'm just trying to stay busy here.

I don't have any neighbors that can drive me anywhere, not today. My one neighbor/good friend that usually gives me a ride if I need it has a doctor's appt herself this morning and she's actually keeping the kids for us this afternoon so that I can go to the Rheumy.

If my hubby NEEDS to take off a little earlier, he can probably do it, but boy his boss isn't gonna like it much at all. Oh well I guess.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:30 AM  

beach_tiglet HB User

It's ok...the doctor's office should open any minute now...how old are your kids?

Old 06-14-2004, 06:34 AM  
(female)

Dee74 HB User

ok calling now.. I'll let you know what they say.

Hey thanks I appreciate this.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:37 AM  
(female)

Dee74 HB User

well alrighty.. gotta wait for the nurse to call me back. yay. grrrrrrrrrrr

Old 06-14-2004, 06:39 AM  
(female)

Dee74 HB User

oh and my kids are 7 and 10. They're at school right now. So at least I'm not up and down chasing them around.