It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 07:09 AM   #1
(female)

pinkangel670 HB User
Menstrual migraines?

My neurologist prescribed Fioricet (acetaminophen, caffeine, and butalbital) for me about 5 years ago for tension headaches. I only got them 1-2x a month, but they were lasting 3-4 days with nausea, vomitting, and sensitivity to light and sound. Recently, I started keeping track of the headaches and found that I was getting them 2-3 days before my period. So I looked online and found 'menstrual migraines', which are common due to the hormonal changes in women each month. Does anyone else have these? The Fioricet works GREAT for me, and usually a 30-day supply lasts me a year.
~pink

Old 12-14-2004, 11:31 AM   #2
(female)

treefarmer HB User
Re: Menstrual migraines?

Hi pink,

OH YEAH! For years now. Have done things from taking the birth control pill nonstop to curb the hormone fluctuations (works pretty well) to taking Imitrex to deal with the headaches that sneak through anyway. Hormonal migraines are very common for many women.

Do you ever experience dizziness just before you get a headache? I felt that last month just before my period (I stopped the birth control pills a couple months ago) and I also got the usual hormonal headache. Just trying to see if others experience dizziness related to headaches too.

Terri

Last edited by treefarmer; 12-14-2004 at 11:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2004, 05:22 PM   #3

baby_doll82 HB User

i get hormonal headaches two days after i start my period, and it sucks, and then they last for a week, i usually end up in ER or at the dr's office, cause nothing will touch the migraine, not even vicodin, which is what i have for "breakthrough pain", so i know what you are going through...and i'm only 22, and i get these all the time, not just around my period and i can't find anything to prevent them, or to help them, unless i catch it in time, sometimes i will wake up with a full blown migraine, and i can't get rid of it, but i don't know anymore

Old 12-15-2004, 08:53 AM   #4
(female)

treefarmer HB User

baby doll,

Have you tried any of the triptan meds like Imitrex, Zomig, or Relpax? They work wonders for me.

T

Old 12-15-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkangel670
My neurologist prescribed Fioricet (acetaminophen, caffeine, and butalbital) for me about 5 years ago for tension headaches. I only got them 1-2x a month, but they were lasting 3-4 days with nausea, vomitting, and sensitivity to light and sound. Recently, I started keeping track of the headaches and found that I was getting them 2-3 days before my period. So I looked online and found 'menstrual migraines', which are common due to the hormonal changes in women each month. Does anyone else have these? The Fioricet works GREAT for me, and usually a 30-day supply lasts me a year.
~pink
As a matter of fact I am having one now Mine change either before, during OR right after. Lately it's been before.
Like another poster... I did the non stop BC. Now I am off the pill all together and that made a huge difference.
I use to take Fiornal but I can't function during the day on that. I take Amerge, Toradol and inderal la a beta blocker,
I take the inderal every single day. Toradol helps me a lot and if it gets real bad I bust out Amerge which is highly recommeneded for Hormonal migraines.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:12 PM   #6
(female)

treefarmer HB User

Bell,

You said stopping the non-stop BCP made huge difference. Can you tell me how? Was it a good change or a bad change?

I only stopped the BCP all together two months ago, so I'm still working this out. Typical for me I have the headache on or about the day my period starts. This last one only lasted for a day or two, but I've had them last 3 days and those are the time I live on Imitrex!

Terri

Old 12-16-2004, 12:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefarmer
Bell,

You said stopping the non-stop BCP made huge difference. Can you tell me how? Was it a good change or a bad change?

I only stopped the BCP all together two months ago, so I'm still working this out. Typical for me I have the headache on or about the day my period starts. This last one only lasted for a day or two, but I've had them last 3 days and those are the time I live on Imitrex!

Terri
It was a good change in that the migraines aren't as intense and not as frequent.
Imitrex is noturious for causing rebound migraines. It gets rid of them but they come back with a vengence. That was the first migraine med I used (nasal spray variety).
I see a neurologist once a year and have tried so many meds. Thus far Amerge is working best with the least amount of side effects. He also gives me valume . I find the PMS and tension in my neck bring them on during that time as well. He will only prescribe 70 a year so if I feel that neck tension start I will take a valume at bed time with the Amerge. This works pretty well for me

Last edited by Bell99; 12-16-2004 at 01:31 PM.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:57 AM   #8
(female)

treefarmer HB User

Bell,

Thanks for clarifying. Even though it's only been a couple months since I've been off the pill, I did definitely notice that the headache I got last month wasn't as severe and only lasted 1 day. That didn't really happen before.

It's funny what you say about Imitrex and the rebound headaches. They definitely get the headache to go away for me (I take a 50mg tablet), but I've def. learned that the window of relief is only about 6 hours before I have to take another (that's the "come back with a vengeance" part). Then it was just an every 6 hour cycle until the darn headache went away. I told my doc that I'd gotten to the point where because I've been taking Imitrex for so long, I can't get anything else (like extra strength aspirin or something) to even budge one of those headaches. She said that was common, that the brain had worked up a tolerance or something, and to try mixing it up. I think she did give me some Amerge and it worked too. I've also tried Zomig and Relpax too. I'm just hoping now, as I go forward, that like you the headaches stay lesser in intensity so I don't have to rely on those abortive drugs too much.

Thanks again,
Terri

Old 12-17-2004, 01:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Terry-
I hope it helps, going off the pill. It's been a little over a year for me and it was a slow gradual change. Mind you I am not migraine free but one can always hope right?
I had a terrible reaction to zomig, made my arm go numb scared me half to death... I have tried every med out there. Problem is now I have developed a heart condition as well so I have to be real careful, can't take anything that makes the heart race which is pretty much most meds.
You may want to ask also about a preventative, beta blocker or calcium channel blocker. I take Inderal not only for the migraines but to slow down my heart beat.

Old 12-18-2004, 02:04 PM   #10
(female)

treefarmer HB User

Hi Bell,

Yeah, I think since it's only been a couple months I want to let things settle out a bit. I've been on the pill for 20 years with a couple of stints of taking it non-stop like I was until I just quit here in October. So, needless to say, at age 41 I really have almost no idea what my regular cycles are like or how I'm supposed to feel!! So I'm going to see what happens. I think one change I'm going to make, due to what you've shared about Imitrex, is that the refill I need to pick up at the pharmacy I'm going to just let stay there. I think maybe I'll take a break from Imitrex for a while since it's so hard on the rebound aspect. Seems weird after all these years of struggling with this to think that (a) the pill, and then (b) the Imitrex were culprits together in probably making my headaches worse!! Maybe I'll ask my OB-GYN (who, luckily, happens to be a personal friend) for some samples of Amerge and give that a try.

Cheers!

Terri

Old 12-18-2004, 02:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Hi Terry.
I too am 41!!! I always ask for samples before I get a script. I tried Axert and it worked pretty well but all in all Amerge works best. I get the 2.5 it's more economical that way. What I do is break them in half. They are shaped like cresent moons. I will end up taking a whole pill usually by the end of the day. I also take Toradol which helps a lot it is a anti inflamatory and it's pretty cheap. They give it in shot form at the ER. Also this is a God Send.... Bengay/Icy Hot Or Tiger Balm on the back of the neck and forehead OMG also ice packs are good

Old 12-26-2004, 07:54 AM   #12
(female)

kbalough HB User

Ladies!
I'm so happy to find this thread, I started migrianes with last pregnancy, after delivery We tried EVERYTHING! In the med department. Imitrex, inderal, we even tried low dose estogen, now Mirena IUD, the only thing that seems to work is Fioracet and Motrin, If it's really bad, I must do the ER trips. I'm going back to Neuro this week. IT is hormonal. I have to take the Fiorcet one to two, every 4 to six hours depending on pain level. Any thoughts?

Last edited by kbalough; 12-26-2004 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Tags

Old 12-26-2004, 10:45 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalough
Ladies!
I'm so happy to find this thread, I started migrianes with last pregnancy, after delivery We tried EVERYTHING! In the med department. Imitrex, inderal, we even tried low dose estogen, now Mirena IUD, the only thing that seems to work is Fioracet and Motrin, If it's really bad, I must do the ER trips. I'm going back to Neuro this week. IT is hormonal. I have to take the Fiorcet one to two, every 4 to six hours depending on pain level. Any thoughts?
Mine started with my first pregnancy almost ten years ago! After the birth they got even worse.
I have been seeing a Neurologist for 6 years now and he says he hears this story all the time with women.
Usually in the ER they give shots of Toradol. This comes in pill form. I just started taking it a few months ago and had pretty good luck. The trick is taking it the second you feel one coming on. It isn't Narcotic so it doesn't have all those side effects.
One of the killers with the Menstral Migaines for me is I crave chocolate , if I eat any it makes it much worse.
Sometimes being a woman can sure be the pitts !

Old 12-31-2004, 08:45 AM   #14

MagnaV45 HB User

I get menstual migraines on days 0,1 & 2-the day before I start and on the first couple days after that, not the only migraine I get just the most predictable. I take fioricet for ovarian cysts, Relpax, vicoden (only when severe), Advil Migraine and ice packs for the migraines. Usually just go till I can't anymore then find a hole, climb in and pull the hole in after me . I am 44 and perimenopausal so the ha are even more unpredictable. One thing I did when I could find it was use loose feverfew leaves and make a tea with it twice a day. The herb is pretty harmless-a chrysanthymum type plant-I think. Ask at the health food store if your interested. Good luck
BB -- Magna

Old 01-03-2005, 06:08 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

I used to have menstrual migraines. I've been seeing a health practioner for a couple of years now. He has regulated my estrogen and progesterone and the migraines have stopped. I went off the pill and he adjusted a little more. The periods are a little heavier, but no migraines. I'm scared to go back on the pill (if i need to for obvious reasons ), it takes about 3 cycles to see how my body adjusts.

I still have sinus problems/headaches. Occaisionally it will go into a migraine, then i use the imitrex nasal spray.. mostly because it helps the nausea. I'm a little screwed when it comes to pain relief.. I can no longer take any type of anti-inflammatory (advil, aleve, excedrin).. one dose tears up my stomach for 2-3 days.

Closed Thread