It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
(male)

KelMCC HB User
Smile Pain at base of skull

This is my first post to this forum.

I am a 46 year old male.

I have a headache with the following symptoms:

Tenderness to the touch on on the scalp at the top of head and down both sides behind the ears.
Stiffness of neck.
Acute pain at the base of the skull aggravated by swallowing.
(Some temporary relief can be achieved by firmly squeezing the neck directly below the skull between thumb and forefinger).
Slight discomfort in temples. (Some relief with light massage)
No reaction to pressure on any of the sinuses.
Constant thirst.
Slightly sore throat (probably due to becoming exhausted).
Very low grade feeling of nausea.

History:
Day 1: The pain began in the intercostal spaces of the rear lower ribs and felt muscular in origin. This was painful enough to prevent me sleeping as I was unable to find a comfortable position in which to lay.
Day 2: The pain moved upwards to the intercostal spaces between and directly below the shoulder blades and gradually became a stiff neck with some pain (4/10) at the base of the skull. Later the pain in the back disappeared and the pain in the neck intensified (6/10). For some reason I felt as though I suffering some toxic reaction to something although I have not been exposed to anything toxic that I can think of.
Day3: Right now - 2:30 AM and unable to sleep owing to pain in neck.

Medication:
I have been taking Citalopram 20mg for about 4 months to good effect. A recent family event triggered a deeper depression and my doctor upped the dose to 40mg 1 week ago.

What do I think may be going on?
1. I may have unwittingly injured myself. I feel that this is unlikely although I did fetch and carry about 30 gallons of water to top out the tropical fish tank three days ago.
2. I have come into contact with a bacterium, virus, or toxin.
3. (My favoured thought). The increase in Citalopram is probably just kicking in and having a negative physiological effect.

I would very much appreciate any comment (qualified or not).

Thank you.

Regards,

Kel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2004, 06:24 AM   #2
(female)

plus1more HB User
Re: Pain at base of skull

Kel, the sensitive head, temple area, and neckpain sound like my TMJ (TemporalMandibular Joint) problem or it may be that you did just strain yourself carrying that tank. Check out the TMJ message board to be sure.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:01 PM   #3
(female)

queenpooch HB User
Re: Pain at base of skull

Kel,

You are describing exactly what I went through when I had TMJ! I was almost suicidal with the pain. I don't know if you got help in the TMJ board, but I found out that PROZAC was making me grind my teeth at night, which caused the horrible headaches. (I am 46) I stopped the Prozac in Sept. of '04, but since it takes weeks for Prozac to completely leave your system, the teeth grinding continued. My dentist fitted me with a (very expensive) front teeth guard which has made all the difference! If I forget to wear it, my husband says it sounds like I'm chewing rocks and I have a headache the next day that NO amount of ibuprofen will touch.

Get this: a lady in the health food store told me that teeth grinding is really caused by wanting revenge on someone! Interesting, huh?

Anyway, I hope you're better. Let us know how you are!

Closed Thread