It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

lewisf HB User
bad reaction to Imitrex injection ?

I am curious if anyone has had a bad reaction to an Imitrex or similar injection. I went to my doctor while suffering from a two day migraine. She gave me a shot of Imitrex and told me to lay down. (because it can lower your blood pressure). Almost immediately, I felt ten times WORSE. It started at the back of my head and tightened my chest, throat, and sinuses. I can never remember being in so much pain. I really thought they were going to have to rush me to the hospital. It was awful. They then gave me a shot of Toredol (spell?). It finally kicked in after an hour. The next day I got another headache and had what I can only describe as a "chemical hangover". I took Zomig that next day and I had a similar reaction, but less severe. Does anybody know what/why this happened?

Old 12-31-2004, 08:07 AM   #2

MagnaV45 HB User
Re: bad reaction to Imitrex injection ?

Lewis
The reason most Dr's want you to have your first shot of Imitrex in office is because for many it make the ha "10 times" worse for the first 30-60 minutes. I was one of the people who went on the shots as soon as they were available to the general public many years ago. Within 20 minutes of the shot I would get a hot feeling in my head, ears and my throat felt like I had Strep or something it was so sore, hard to swallow too, nausea went through the roof :0. I also thought my head was going to split down the middle from the pain. I curled into a fetal ball on the Dr's table . Within and hour of the shot the ha was gone. I could function but was shaky and a bit queasy. I used the shots for 3 years cause it was the only thing available that would stop a migraine.

As for the day after effects--could it have been from the severity of the ha? I feel wobbly, tired and out of sorts for 24 hours after every bad migraine. It really is called a migraine hangover in some circles.

I have found Relpax in the last year. It is better for many than Imitrex -- less (much!) side effects. Zomig did not help me. I wish you luck.

BB -- Magna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2005, 09:52 PM   #3
(female)

RhondaV123 HB User
Re: bad reaction to Imitrex injection ?

I can't have Imitrex because I have an alergic reaction to it. It feels like I can't breath, like my throat is closing up. For now, I just take pain pills when it's really bad. And if I can catch my headache in time, Excerdian Migraine works wonders for me.

Closed Thread