It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
(male)

bicpenny HB User
Throbbing pain at base of skull - one sided

Hello,

I am a 34 y/o male...new to this board.

I get a throbbing headache at the base of the skull (back of head) on my right side. Sometimes this occurs out of the blue (usually mild), most of the times it occurs after consuming a few alcoholic beverages or after strenuous exercise and it is much more severe.
This has been occuring for over a year now with no releif (chiropractor, massage therapy didn't work).
I mentioned this to my doctor today and he seemed concerned it may be an unruptured brain anerysm. Is this possible?
Everything I have read indicates that BA's rarly have symtoms until they burst, and if you do have symptoms, is within a few weeks of rupture.
My headaches have been ongoing for a while now...

Thanks in advance for any response...

Old 01-25-2005, 09:27 AM   #2

Chrislynn HB User
Re: Throbbing pain at base of skull - one sided

Hi there. I hope your head is feeling better. It seems your doctor is being pretty hasty by telling you it sounds like an aneurysm. Did he order a CT scan or MRI? I have been having pain in the back of my head (primarily left side) and it travels to my temple then to my eye then to the top of my head. I was diganosed in the ER with A-typical migraines and by a pain management doctor with chronic migraines. I have increased headache from physical activity or computer work (as my head is starting to hurt as I type right now).

What kind of a doctor are you seeing? Request a cranial CT and take it from there. You should probably make an appointment with an internist, neurologist or pain management physician.

Also headaches at the base of the skull can be caused from strained muscles, particularly in the neck. During my evaluation yesterday the doctor told me that my neck muscles on the left side were very tight and hard and that my neck felt rigid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread