It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Sharp pain top right side of head.

I have had this happen to me before about a year ago but not as often as it is happening this last two weeks. I have had a couple migraine headaches in the past also but this seems different. All of the sudden it have been getting this really sharp pain on the top right of my head and then it hurts really bad where I am gritting my teeth and then it goes away in just a minute or so. It happened a couple times last week and then now today it kept happening to me about 5 times. Then after I felt kindof out of it like I couldn't think straight and felt a little confused. I feel better now that I am home and have had time to relax and eat supper. Can drinking coffee cause these kinds of symptoms because that is the only thing I have been doing different in the last two weeks. My neurologist did say that coffee can cause headaches but I had not had anything this weird yet when I spoke to him last. I do also stare at a computer screen for my entire job so maybe that didn't help since it happened while I was working. Any comments or similiar experiences would be great.

Old 01-29-2005, 04:50 PM   #2
(female)

sallyfree HB User
Re: Sharp pain top right side of head.

I have had something like that happening the last two weeks myself. It hurts sharp on the back left occipital side of my head. Was told that it may be because my blood pressure was up, and they gave me blood pressure meds, but I have never had high blood pressure either. One other doctor told me that sounded like herneiated disk in my neck. All I know is that nothing seems to be helping at this point. And no kind of pain medication seems to help either. And it hurts like I am being stabbed with a knife.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

hi, ive been suffering these sort of pains for over a year now and seem to be getting worse,i have shooting/stabbing and all weird pains and sensations which seems to come from right in the middle off my head and like you they really hurt and are very scary to have.my head feel like its going to explode .i have migraines everday and tension/pressure headaches [had those for 5 years] severe pain in eyes and pains in neck,dizziness,i feel ill everyday but doctors say its just headache.ive had 2 clear scans but i still think its more than a headache.how can these pains in our head be normal???i sometimes think ill never have any answers,im only 27 and really dont want this pain for the rest off my life! do you have any other symptoms?

Old 01-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

The only other symptoms I didn't mention would be feeling sick to my stomach after I get a headache. I also a couple times had the Aura symptoms of a migraine headache. I could see these little star, light looking things in a line across the middle of my vision. Then it moved up and to the right gradually over about 4 hours until it was gone. My doctor said that was normal for migraine headaches. I did notice yesterday when I got that pain in my head again for just a few seconds that it happened when I looked up and to the right and so when it started to happen I looked down and tried to relax my eye muscles and the pain went away. I think it's harder to deal with when I am at work though because I can't just walk away from my job I have to keep working. I hope mine doesn't keep getting worse.

Old 01-30-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
(male)

BrianKosh HB User
Exclamation Re: Sharp pain top right side of head.

Vascular headache.. ( as some people quickly translate it to a migraine.. there are several types of migraines so if u are thinking of just the classic version, there are others....) have u had any tests, particularly an MRI and/or a ct scan.. ?(cat scan.. which btw, is not a doctor who holds a cat sporting binoculars and having it look over your body.. )

in a lot of migraines, caffiene and ergot is used to stop them.. there are other mild vascular constrictor's, and some potent ones..

There is also suppose to be a lot of triggers of migraines.. what triggered mine, I really don't know.. I was prescribed a bunch of meds, and before anyone sighs at that, it was that, or suffer or take increasing amounts of pain killers.. mine would occur about every 2 weeks, would begin on a thursday and end on a sunday, just my luck, right? I thought that was kinda weird till I met others who had the same symptoms... and the same 4 days for the event.. after about 6 months things started settling down..

I have even had a prescription of anti-imflamatories and muscle relaxers.. (not to worry, nothing horrifically potent to whack me out, but those with another med did wonders for me..) no, I did not have the classice puke up, flashing lights and total misery that sent me to the hospital.. just the total misery version..

A withdraw from coffee can cause issues if the coffee has caffiene in it...

tension headcahes can be nasty as well as sinus.. rule these out before it's decided to be a migraine. Yes, i still get headaches, I also cheat by taking a narcotic pain killer, at night time.. I have preference to sleep instead of climbing the walls.. it was not originally prescribed as treatment.. I have actually gotten a headache off of a narcotic pain killer.. And does laying down and trying to rest do anything for me, usually not.. I can no longer sleep headaches off.. they enter my dreams..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari7171
I have had this happen to me before about a year ago but not as often as it is happening this last two weeks. I have had a couple migraine headaches in the past also but this seems different. All of the sudden it have been getting this really sharp pain on the top right of my head and then it hurts really bad where I am gritting my teeth and then it goes away in just a minute or so. It happened a couple times last week and then now today it kept happening to me about 5 times. Then after I felt kindof out of it like I couldn't think straight and felt a little confused. I feel better now that I am home and have had time to relax and eat supper. Can drinking coffee cause these kinds of symptoms because that is the only thing I have been doing different in the last two weeks. My neurologist did say that coffee can cause headaches but I had not had anything this weird yet when I spoke to him last. I do also stare at a computer screen for my entire job so maybe that didn't help since it happened while I was working. Any comments or similiar experiences would be great.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I have never had a MRI. Apparently my doctor does not feel I need one. I would feel more comfortable having one since I am having some new symptoms lately. I seem to have the classic Migraine though because of the visual disturbances I have had. The time I had the flashing line of light in my visual that seemed to move up and to the right over time then disappear I was totally relaxed. It was on weekend day and I was just sitting on my couch relaxing. I had no pain at all just the Aura visual disturbance then felt sick to my stomach. So I know that is not a tension headache.

The sharp pain in my head is different. My doctor said that when you drink coffee every day with caffeine (what other reason to drink coffee is there I say) if you drink it in the morning you are having a withdrawl every day in the afternoon and that is when I have been experiencing this pain. I however did not have any caffeine today and I got the pain in my head just for about 10 seconds today around the same time of day I always do. It was my first day without caffeine in weeks though. I'll have to cut it out totally and see what happens. It's tough during the week though when I am dead tired and have to go to work and be on top of things.

Old 01-30-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
(male)

BrianKosh HB User
Exclamation Re: Sharp pain top right side of head.

I forgot to add, i can't drink drinks with caffiene anymore w/o getting a headache or having stomach ( actually colon ) issues..

The mri is probably overkill, it is just i was put through a battery of tests.. that was one of them..

Classic migraine: Migraine headache with aura (loss of vision or other visual symptoms, paresthesias, motor dysfunction) precedes the throbbing headache. 15-20% of migraines are classic.

Common migraine: Migraine headache without aura. About 80% of migraines are of this type. nausea and vomiting may also occur.

Vertebrobasilar migraine headache accompanied by dizziness or ataxia, hearing symptoms (other than phonophobia), nausea and vomiting, and sometimes loss of consciousness. This is rather common as about 1/3 of all persons with migraine experience true vertigo.

Acephalgic migraine: Aura without headache. This diagnosis is generally made when persons who have headache and aura, also have aura without headache. Acephalgic migraines are generally thought to occur only about 1% of the time, but this is a hard number to pin down.

Complicated migraine is accompanied by a neurological deficit. Complicated migraines are rare, again probably less than 1%. They tend to reoccur in the same people rather than being scattered randomly across all migraine occurences.

Ophthalmoplegic migraine, patients present with double vision. Third nerve palsy with headache is the most common type. Again, this is a rare variant, tending to reoccur in the same people. ( my father supposedly has this..)

Yes, i know but.. i actually had a class in college about... yes, headaches..
yes we had a lengthy discussion on that stuff....
too bad that was a few years ago,.. it's getting blurry.. (memory..)

the only thing is,... I've had what felt like a mixture between classic and common.. and it never sent me crying/screaming anywhere.. however common fits better.. but still, I never lost my cookies..

good luck, hope u feel better and up to par very soon..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari7171
I have never had a MRI. Apparently my doctor does not feel I need one. I would feel more comfortable having one since I am having some new symptoms lately. I seem to have the classic Migraine though because of the visual disturbances I have had. The time I had the flashing line of light in my visual that seemed to move up and to the right over time then disappear I was totally relaxed. It was on weekend day and I was just sitting on my couch relaxing. I had no pain at all just the Aura visual disturbance then felt sick to my stomach. So I know that is not a tension headache.

The sharp pain in my head is different. My doctor said that when you drink coffee every day with caffeine (what other reason to drink coffee is there I say) if you drink it in the morning you are having a withdrawl every day in the afternoon and that is when I have been experiencing this pain. I however did not have any caffeine today and I got the pain in my head just for about 10 seconds today around the same time of day I always do. It was my first day without caffeine in weeks though. I'll have to cut it out totally and see what happens. It's tough during the week though when I am dead tired and have to go to work and be on top of things.

Last edited by BrianKosh; 01-30-2005 at 10:06 PM.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:27 AM   #8
(female)

rugerbird15 HB User
Question Re: Sharp pain top right side of head.

hey everyone,

I know how you feel. for the last two or three years i have had these sharp pains in the top back of my head. in the last tree days they have become even sharper pains that my eyes water. the night before last i was washing dishes and the sharp pain came and i can almost swear i nearly lost all consiusness. I am almost 17 and i am terrified of these occurances. my parents don't seem to think there is anything unuasual about it. but they dont have the sharp pains either. I noticed that when i get these head pains lately i suffer from a headache in my shoulders and neck and the rest of my head. i seem to get an upset stomach and i become listless. these head pains last between 5-15 seconds of pure agony if anyone has any idea as to why my head may have started this i would love to know. another symptom i forgot to mention earlier. i want to sleep, i mean just lay down and go the sleep. i am now exhausted and i just got up about 4 hours ago.
do any of you have the same symptom? or differant ones.

thanks
rugerbird

Last edited by rugerbird15; 02-03-2005 at 08:31 AM.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

i have heard to that sinuses can cause these pains.i will be asking my doctor about it at my next app on tuesday

Closed Thread