It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
migraines and birth control

My doctor diagnosed me with migraines after the CT scan didn't show anything abnormal. I have done some reading and it seems that increased levels of estrogen and birth control can cause migraines. It occurred to me that my migraines have gotten worse since I switched my brand of birth control. I am going to see the doctor on Tuesday to talk about switching again. Is there anybody who has had this problem that found a brand which doesn't cause migraines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
(female)

pamelasuern HB User
Re: migraines and birth control

I am suffering from migraines and when I tried a birth control patch, it threw me into continual migraine episodes. I also suffer from many episodes of dizziness, I believe connected to my ears. I have gone on 30-day antibiotic courses in order to get rid of infection. I am getting dizzy more and more. I also get red on the left side of my body, primarily my ear and face, when I am in pain or do not feel well. It feels like my skin is on fire. I have had headaches since I was a little girl, but they have gotten stronger and more frequent. I seem to be sick all the time now. I go days with the headaches and all I can do is lay down because I get so dizzy that I can hardly stand it. When I lie down I am spinning like I am drunk, it takes a few minutes of lying down for the spinning feeling to go away. I need direction on whom or what might help me. I know I am allergic to MSG. Not allergic to foods. My GP has tried different medicines, but my situation is worse. I am going to ask for a referral to a neurologist. I am 60 pounds over weight. Within my complaints, if anyone finds it ringing a bell, please talk to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

kehormer,
From my experience in the past, Mircette (sp) was the kind of BC that helped me the best to keep my migraines at a minimum. Another thing that helps me, that many people in the world don't believe in, is my chiropractor. My dad is one and I have had to find one since I live 900 miles away from him. Anyway, you might giving a Chiropractor a shot. But, if you don't want to give them a shot, try Mircette and see if that helps. I am on the patch right now and I do notice that I get more migraines than I used to when I was on the patch but, because I hate taking pills, I find that it is better to be on the patch. Ask you OBGYN if Mircette might work for you. Talk to him or her about your symptoms. Good luck! I hope you fine relief.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:32 PM   #4
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

My doctor has just changed my bc pill from Alesse to Yasmine, she says this relatively new bc pill can help some people that suffer from migraines. Hopefully this will help me, she said to give the Yasmine pill 3 months to see if there will be any change in my migraines and if not she would try me on a preventative. Good luck and if you find one that works, please share the info. Thanx

Old 06-27-2005, 06:40 PM   #5
(female)

KQuinn HB User

Hi, I am new here and have experienced migraine headaches for the past 12 years. I was on Microgestrin (generic for Lo-Estrol) and only had two bad headaches since I started using them six months ago. I had my yearly today and my doc switched me to Alesse since I had to go to the health dept. this go around (between jobs) and they only had Alesse as the closest thing to being sucessful with migraine patients. I was wanting options from others that experience migraines and how you have all done taking Alesse. I have been sucessful so far in not having headaches by taking Co Q-10 in the morning and Magnesium in the evenings and have not had a bad migraine since I started this natural supplementation. I get horrible migraines with the works and wanted to see if I will be successful and not fear taking Alesse. THANKS!!

Old 06-27-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

I have been on Yasmin for 3 mths now. I have just started my forth package today and my migraines have improved significantly! I get maybe 4/mth now but I use to get 16-20/mth! There were times I would get 2-3/day! I suffer from migraine headache w/aura and just the eye/occular migraines w/o headache. I use to be on Alesse while I was suffering from all these migraines. I know all birth control works differently for eveyone, so what might not work for me-might work for you. Just keep the Yasmin in mind if the Alesse does not work out for you. Maybe your natural supplementation is doing the trick for you and it won't matter what kind of birth control pill you use. By the way, what is Co Q-10 and what form does it come in-liquid, tablet?? Do you find it in a health food store?
Thanks and Good luck!

Old 06-28-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
(female)

KQuinn HB User

Hey Calgary Girl! I get my Co Q-10 at Walmart, they have the best price for them. I take Spring Valley 50 mg in the mornings. However you can take two at two different meals. Your migraines sound TONS worse than mine, so you might want to try this. Also I take 200 mg of Magnesium at night with a Vitamin B to help my body absorb it. I read on the net that helps. Currently I am using Brewers Yeast tablets, which contains like 3 types of Vit. B. Anyhow, the nurse practitioner that did my exam yesterday said that our bodies can tolerate 400 mg of Magnesium a day, so maybe that will help your headaches. I feel bad for you, I have never had them that bad, however when I do get them, they really suck and make me very sick. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! Kristen

Old 06-28-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

Hi Kristen,
Thank-you so much for the response! I think I will have to march my little butt to Walmart this weekend and check it out. I should have mentioned that I have severe problems swallowing pills-I can swallow the bc pills but that is about it! I chew my extra strength tylenol-I know it sounds gross but I don't taste anything anymore, I've done it for over 25 yrs now. This is why I have such a hard time finding supplements or even meds that may work for me. Thanks for the information though and I will go have a peek to see what I can find.
Thanks once again and good luck to you too!
Chris

Old 06-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

friendof HB User

Hey Calgary Girl
Funny, my wife tends to get bad headaches or migraines just after the start of her pills. It used to be worse when she was on another brand for a long time, sorry I can't remember what brand, then she switched to Alesse and didn't seem to get any headaches like that anymore. But now it seems they are starting to come back more and more. Not sure what's up with that.

BTW I hear ya on the swallowing part! I can't either and I tend to chew Excedrin when I need to get rid of a headache if i'm not eating something. Pretty much any other pills I take I take with food to fool myself. Ha!

Old 06-29-2005, 04:12 PM   #10
(female)

KQuinn HB User

GNC carries a magnesium powder if you can stand mixing the bitter substance in juice. I did not like the taste. Good luck!

Closed Thread