It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
(male)

Muscn HB User
What does a migraine feel like?

Hi, Im 34 year old male, and I think Ive started to develop migraine headaches over the last few years. I had assumed I wouldve had them before this, but I spoke with my dad who is a neurologist and he said its not uncommon to develop them later in life. He also gets them by the way.

Theyve become more frequent lately. They come on quite quickly and dont feel like other headaches Ive had. It basically hurts at the temple area (above and a little in front of my ears). The pain is on both sides of my head and is kind of a dull throbbing ache straight through from one temple to the other. It even makes the hair in the temple area tingle sometimes.
It sometimes make focusing on things hard and makes looking at certain kinds of lights hurt too. I had one a few months ago that was so bad, it woke me up from a deep sleep and I was dizzy and sick to my stomach. Only after taking 4 tylenols (I know...way too many, but it hurt like hell) was I able to fall back asleep.

Im actually having one right now. Its not too bad, but again...feels like a pulsing spike driven straight through from one temple to the other and its making me kind of sick to my stomach.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone had any comments or thoughts on this. Its not bad enough to see a doctor yet, and tylenol has been working ok so far, but it is concerning me a bit because theyre slowly getting worse and more frequent.

Last edited by Muscn; 02-09-2005 at 11:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ahall HB User
Re: What does a migraine feel like?

Hi Muscn,

Im sorry that you have to go through this. I had my first migraine at 21, Im 38 now, and only had 1 a year for about 13 years. I never had a headache, I would lose my sight to all these flashing colors, however, over the past 3 years they have changed their pattern. Last wed for example. I woke up to the flashing lights, which terrify me, I lose at least 90% of my vision for up to one hour. When the lights work their way out of my vision, Im left with a sore head, confused, throwing up, tired, unbalanced, foggy headed for up to 2 days now. I turned on my computer the day after the migraine and the words started to disappear off the page as I read my email. Peoples voices sounded like one loud noise in my head.

If the Tylenol will take care of the headaches to where you can carry on with your day, but the headaches are consistant, I'd get checked for a sinus infection or maybe TMJ. If after the headaches disappear your left feeling crappy, just tired and sensitive to lights and sound, then its probably migraine. My doctor put me on Imitrex. I haven't tried it yet she said to wait until I see the flashing lights, so Im hoping this will work for me. Surely your dad can do a CT scan on you. Good Luck.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sissypie HB User

I have had migraines since I was in the 4th grade, but at the time I didn't know what was happening to me, and they continued about once a year until I was 18.

Initially, I would get an aura that consisted of me feeling like I was disconnected from my hand. Then, it would progress to a small spot blacked out in my vision that would eventually grow into lines and flashes until it was like a stobe light. Then, one of hands would go numb. As that numbness wore off, my face, nose, and sometimes tongue would get numb. After all the numbness left, the pain would start to hit. I was nauseated beyond belief, and couldn't tolerate sound, or light of any kind. The pain usually subsided by the next day, but it usually took another whole day to back to feeling normal.

My migraines came back 3 years ago, but they are different than when I had them as a kid. I only get the aura part now, and very little headache pain. But, I get them several times a month now.

Migraines are different for everyone. I've never had one that hit on both sides of my head at the same time.

I hope you are feeling better.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
(male)

Muscn HB User

Thanks for the replies. Yes, feeling better today, but I had the headache all the way until I went to bed at 2am last night. I took tylenol every 4 to 6 hours, which helped, but it still hurt. Maybe I shouldnt have stuck that crayon up my nose yesterday morning .

Ive never experienced the aura thing or any numbness but I do get the sensitivity to light and sound. I also get sensitive to movement... looking at moving objects I mean. Looking out the window when Im having one and watching cars for instance is hard. Its like I cant focus and its hard to watch. Moving my eyes around the room to just look around can be hard sometimes too.

AHall, my dad is retired actually so he wouldnt have easy access to do a CT scan. Id even be a little hesitant to ask him about a ct scan because, knowing my dad, he rig up something in the garage with garbage cans, duct tape and an old transistor radio and try to shove me in there.

Old 02-10-2005, 06:22 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sissypie HB User

Yeah, you might want to cut back on the crayons up the nose thing.

Although, a florescent crayon may be beneficial if your Dad does decide to rig you up a CAT scan at some point.

Hang in there....glad you were feeling some better today.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Your headaches while some of the symptoms sound like migrane, the fact that you get the headache on both sides at one time is NOT indicative of the classic migrane syndrome.The mi in migrane means one sided.You may have some other form of a headache, but it really does not sound like actual migrane.

sissie, just wanted to mention that I too will get that 'disconnected" hand thing with my migranes.i started getting them when I was in the 8th grade.I went to the nurses office as I was just freaking out trying to figure out why my hand did not feel like my hand.The stupid nurse decided that I was on some sort of drugs.Go figure.I kept telling her that my hand didn't look or feel like my hand and that it kind of had a mind of its own.It wasn't til the horrid headache started on the way to the docs office that when I told the doc what had happened we were finally told i was having a migrane.Geez.That hand thing is almost impossible to explain to someone.You really just cannot explain it to where someone would really understand it unless they actually experienced it for themselves.Marcia

Old 02-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sissypie HB User

Marcia,

It's really hard to explain the "hand" thing to someone else isn't it? All I can ever manage to come up with is that disconnected feeling, like it belongs to someone else. I actually have only heard of a couple people who experience this with their migraines.

Migraines are scary when you get them as a kid. I can't imagine having that school nurse assume that it was drugs! I would have been so mad!!!

I was 9 when I got my first one. Just came on out on the play ground at recess, and I never told anyone about them until I was 24 when I finally went to the ER. I had no clue up till then what was happening to me each time they occurred, but I was convinced I was in the process of dying and didn't want to upset my parents. Weird ideas we get when we are kids, huh?

I agree with you about Muscn's headaches....I have never heard of them occurring on both sides at the same time.

Old 02-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #8
(female)

violaa HB User

my headaches differ mine hurts in the temples and hurts bad i throw up and the light and sound is bad and i see spots light little lightning bugs they haave change tho now my head gets sore like a bruise my doc put me on fiorcets they work wonders then i go to put put a wet rag on my head and NO noise or light and rest rest rest good luck you are in my prayers

Old 02-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

ahall HB User

I've heard that migraines are supposed to be on one side of the head, and while my migraines are primarily ocular, my whole head feels like a huge bruise!!! Its the disorientation that makes me nuts.

Thats so funny about your dad and what he'd rig up in the garage, thats such a guy thing.

Closed Thread