It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
(female)

plus1more HB User
Headache then shortness of breath

I'm getting these really bad sudden headaches every couple months for about four days straight. I had a CAT scan and MRI but they didn't find anything. When I get the sudden headache it usually follows with shortness of breath. It's been going on for a little over a year. My doc gave me an inhaler, but it doesn't work. Sometimes I don't get the headache and I feel fullness in my stomach like I've eaten a large meal and get that shortness of breath. Doc had my gall bladder checked but they didn't find anything there either. Advil & Aleve don't help much. Sometimes it feels like I have fever or flu but take my temperature and nothing. I also feel like I'm going to pass out but never do. I went into the ER and they did an EKG and said my heart was fine. What do you think? Maybe a respiratory problem? What should I test for next? Would appreciate any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 10:46 PM   #2
(female)

SkeochGirl HB User
Lightbulb Re: Headache then shortness of breath

Have you looked into the possibility of having acid reflux (GERD)? GERD has been known to cause respiratory problems in people and from personal experience it can cause a wicked headache. I can't speak for the respiratory issue but there have been times the reflux has woken me out of a dead sleep with a headache. There are OTC medication such as Prilosec but sometimes it needs to be treated with prescription meds like Prevacid, Protonix, nexium etc. There is also a variation of GERD called LPR that needs a double dose of GERD medication and even longer to treat. With the stomach fullness you mentioned it is worth a try if you haven't done so.

Shandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
(female)

plus1more HB User
Re: Headache then shortness of breath

Shandi, thanks for responding. I'll have to read up on GERD. During my headache days something just wakes me about 4 a.m. but no headache. I do feel the lack of sleep all day and the headache comes midmorning. Should I stop eating certain foods? I stopped drinking coffee, chocolate and I try to stay away from dairy.

Old 03-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
(female)

SkeochGirl HB User

Headaches can really be so many things and stress can cause so many more things! Fatigue as well as stress can bring on headaches, and it doesn't need to be when you wake up.

I brought up GERD because of your other symptoms...the fullness in the stomach area, respiratory problems. Yes, anxiety and stress can cause those too but they happen in GERD as well. And it definitely causes headaches. Foods that trigger GERD include caffeine, chocolate, tomatoes, citrus, peppermint. Smoking irritates GERD as well as stress.

Whatever it is i hope you can find relief. I have had my headache for 10 days now and get to go into MRI tube on Tuesday to rule out some things. Unfortunately MY GERD is flaring from all those headache meds they gave me so it is complicating matters.

Shandi

Old 03-05-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
(female)

plus1more HB User

Shandi, again thanks. Ten days with a headache! You'll be in my thoughts Tuesday. I did the MRI thing, and I'm not comfortable in small places. I came out of there with a severe headache and thought they must have found something. They didn't. The peppermint also sounds like a familiar trigger. I brush my teeth with something pepperminty or wintergreen and I did recently have spaghetti. This is really making me think. Hoping you feel better soon.

Closed Thread