It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2005, 05:47 AM   #1
(male)

rdmartinga HB User
Can Mold Allergies & Infections Trigger Migraines?

It seems for me that mold allergies and sinus infections trigger a migraine-style headache for me (diagnosed as atypial migraine). Is this true for other people? Also, I'm wondering if a staph colonization in my sinuses is triggering my current two-month problem with a continuous migraine-style headache.

Anyone know if it possible to be allergic to bacteria in the same way you can be allergic to mold? For example, I have a staph colonization (no longer an infection – but abnormally high presence of staph) in my sinuses. Could I be allergic to the presence of the staph. Can I be tested for bacterial allergies?

I have severe mold allergies. When I have a big exposure, this triggers some sort of burning sensation in my head. Doc's best theory is that the burning is a secondary neurological reaction, such as some form of migraine (even though it's not at all like a typical migraine and I don't respond to migraine medications). A little Decadron (oral steroid) usually provides a lot of relief from the burning, so short-term flare-ups are not much of a problem. I also get this severe burning sensation whenever I have a sinus infection.

I was recently on oral antibiotics (Bactrim) for more than 6 weeks for a stenotrophomonas maltophilia (SM) sinus infection. I had the burning sensation the whole time. I'm now free of the SM infection, but not the burning. However, my sinuses are now colonized with (but apparently not infected by) staph aureus (SA). The doc is refusing to make any connection of the SA colonization with the burning, but there is no other apparent explanation.

I would appreciate hearing any ideas or stories of similar experiences. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: Can Mold Allergies & Infections Trigger Migraines?

I think we may be in the same boat...does it almost feel like an itchy feeling in your sinuses? Sounds weird...but this is how I feel most days

Old 03-07-2005, 05:05 AM   #3
(male)

rdmartinga HB User
Re: Can Mold Allergies & Infections Trigger Migraines?

For me, it's more of a burning sensation. And it's not every day. I'll go months with no problems. Then it's triggered by a big mold exposure (which makes sense to me, since mold is obviously an alleregen) or by a sinus infection/colonization (which doesn't make as much sense unless bacteria can be an allergen in the same way mold can).

Closed Thread