It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
(male)

joewho79 HB User
Sharp, Painful Brief Headaches

I am a 24 year old male from Alabama. I have been diagnosed with an Anxiety disorder in the last two months. The last few weeks, I have been getting Horrible, Sharp, but Brief pains on the Left side of my neck, and the pain shoots through the Left side of my head all the way to my left eye. The pain is does not last long, but is Very Sharp and stops me in whatever am doing.
Anyone have anything like this, or know what may cause this pain? Any help would be welcome! Thanks!
Joey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
(male)

mohouse HB User
Re: Sharp, Painful Brief Headaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewho79
I am a 24 year old male from Alabama. I have been diagnosed with an Anxiety disorder in the last two months. The last few weeks, I have been getting Horrible, Sharp, but Brief pains on the Left side of my neck, and the pain shoots through the Left side of my head all the way to my left eye. The pain is does not last long, but is Very Sharp and stops me in whatever am doing.
Anyone have anything like this, or know what may cause this pain? Any help would be welcome! Thanks!
Joey

Dude, I have the same problem. I have been diagnosed with PTSD from my experience in Afghanistan. Just two months ago like your self. My Dr. Gave me Zoloft. I could not take that stuff. It made me go nuts!! So my Dr. switched me to Welbuturin. I cant tell if it works because I still have anxiety attacks, but atleast it doesnt make me feel like I am in a state of mania. However, I have similir headaches to yours. Out of the blue I will get a surge of sharp pain in my brain, either the right side or the left side. It lasts maybe 3-6 seconds and then when it is over, it is over. It is a horrific burst of pain. I started having these for over a year since back from Afghanistan however never this frequent. I was exposed to some low level radiation in uzbekistan at an old russian base too. This may be the cause of some of my problems. However I think maybe the Wellbuturin is making my head-aches appear more often, now daily (about twice a day average) Before Wellbuturin, maybe 4-6 times a month. Now my right ear aches and my outer lobe of my ear tingles. Have you been exposed to any radiation, and have you seen a Dr. If so, are you taking any meds. I have a new appointment on the 18th to discuss my head aches. I ll post once I get a diagnosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #3
(male)

mohouse HB User
Red face Re: Sharp, Painful Brief Headaches

Check out this post I found on the FORUM from CIN66 I am going to get a MRI done.

03-11-2005, 05:59 AM
cin66
Junior Member Join Date: May 2004

BE ALERT to short sharp stabbing pains in head!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all just want to warn people that short (10-15 seconds) sharp stabbing pains to the head can be a very significant sign that a brain tumor is present. My 18yo son was having these numerous times a day - and each time we took him to the doctor they would insinuate that perhaps he was getting a migraine or as they mainly come on after any physical activity, exertion headaches. He had suffered with this for some time and then last tuesday got a massive headache from nowhere at 11pm and began throwing up saying his head was going to explode...he could barely walk and so i took him to hospital. By the time we got there (15 minutes) his lips and eyelids and entire face began to swell. They immediately got him a cat scan which revealed a 3cm diametre tumor on his brain with a 12cm diametre cyst overlying it. The pressure on the brain was so much so that they did not think he would make it to the operating room. Thank god he did survive and is making a remarkable recovery. If not for an observant dr that insisted on a cat scan he would not be with us today. My son also had other problems such as vertigo, dizziness and loss of balance - but this was ALWAYS put down to an ear problem. So PLEASE if you experience these 'short sharp pains' to the head - please insist on a catscan or MRI as even though it could be nothing at all - it could also very well save your life!!

I scoured the net many times looking for information on short sharp stabbing pains to head and found numerous people enquiring about the same thing - but with no results, other than 'exertion headaches'...so hopefully this post may get others to insist on getting a catscan - as this was the major symptom to my sons tumor.

His tumor was a pilocytic astrocytoma, which is relatively benign (can change if not caught) although the tumor was not the immediate risk to his life last week, rather the overlying cyst and pressure on brain was, it could of had potentially fatal consequences if not acted upon so quickly. This tumor generally affects younger children (my son was just unlucky to get it at his age), and if picked up upon early enough can have an excellent cure rate. My boy will now have MRIs regularly (as although most of the tumor has been removed - residual cancer cells are still there) just to make sure it does not get aggresive - if any changes come about he will get hit with radiation and chemo to blast the rest of the tumor away, at present they say has already been thru enough trauma...so will just watch and see.

Cindy

Old 03-14-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
(male)

joewho79 HB User

I have not been exposed to any radiation in the past, that i know of, so i dont think that is my problem. I had a CAT scan done on friday, and the doctor told me it looked fine, and that they are the best way to tell if anything is abnormal, other than a spinal tap, but he didnt feel i needed one of those, so im kinda relieved of that. I am going to a Neurologist on friday, so maybe he can shed some light on the subject.
Joey

Old 03-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #5
(female)

SangReal HB User

Sounds like you could have paroxysmal hemicrania, a headache syndrome similar to cluster headaches. Let us know what the neurologist says.

<3 Mary

Old 03-14-2005, 02:50 PM   #6
(male)

joewho79 HB User
Smile Re: Sharp, Painful Brief Headaches

I will! Thanks!

Old 03-31-2005, 09:10 AM   #7
(female)

GlamRockGoddess HB User

I've been researching this too because I have been getting them. They have continued to get worse. So I looked on the Internet many of the sites said that it was an aneurysm http://www.westga.edu/~wmaples/bonnie.html
or a brain tumor.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #8

luckyotoole HB User

I have the same things....starts off as a sharp like zapping pain in the back of my head...I've been feeling lightheaded once in a while...anyway I had an MRI w/ Contrast, and MRA and a CT scan...nothing showed up...I'm thinking it's the muscles in the back of my neck...they said you have muscles all over your entire scalp and nerve endings that sometimes go haywire....better to get it checked and be sure and then know it's nothing to worry about.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:06 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Junior77 HB User

Can anyone give me some advice. I've had a lot of stress/anxiety and still have some at the moment. I get sharp pains at the top top left side of my head. It doesn't feel like a headache, the pain feels more closer to the scalp area. The left side of my jaw gets a little numb, mostly tingly. And I gotta grind my teeth to get the feeling out. I also have the same sharp pain feeling around the front hair line of my head, some to the right of it.

Closed Thread