It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Headaches before your period?

Any women get migraines or headaches before or during your period? Do you have any advice on how to prevent these? I do have migraine meds but wondering if certain things like diet, exercise, supplements, etc help too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
(female)

cjdearden HB User
Re: Headaches before your period?

I have had regular, can expect them every month for five days - menstrual migraines for about a year now. I have immitrex to help the migraines, but I don't know what can help them as far as diet, because they seem period consistent. Maybe it's because we all eat so much right before the period, and if you're me, you eat a lot of foods you don't normally eat at that time. I'm not sure. I know that if you start taking 500mg each of calcium and magnesium... that should help a lot. Good luck. I hope to learn from your question too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Yes as a matter of fact I have one right now!
I take Amerge. Dr. told me it is best for mentral migraines.
I also take Magnesum and put icy hot patches on temples and forehead and pray for the best. I am on day two of mine.

Old 05-01-2005, 06:40 AM   #4
(female)

gingerweezie HB User

Like Bell99 I also have a headache right now. I start taking Calcium / Magnesium caplets about 7 days before my period starts and it really seems to help. Give it a try. I bought mine at WalMart, under $3.00 a bottle for the combo.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:06 AM   #5
(female)

MLWC HB User

I also get menstrual migraines...been and gotten worse since I've been on the pill. They usually show up the week of my period. They're not as much due to the food you eat as much as your body's sensitivity to the big fluctuation in estrogen that occurs right before. Some people are more sensitive than others and so a hormonal fluctuation in one person can trigger problems but not in another. Having a familial history of migraine also puts you at a bigger risk.

The week I'm getting my period, I will usually try to take an aspirin and an acetominophen (tylenol) in the morning with my breakfast. This way if it comes on during the day, I can have already taken the edge off of it. If I'm going to wake up with it, though, I usually feel it in the middle of the night and I FORCE myself to get up and take something, otherwise I'm in BIG trouble when I wake up.

Ah, the joys of femininity!
-MLWC

Old 05-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I have also been taking calcium/magnesium for several months, along with a Super B vitamin that is supposed to help. For a while I thought it was helping but the effect seems to have worn out this month. in fact, i have another one today and my period ended three days ago. This is supposed to be a good week! Being a woman is so difficult. I am on the pill - do you think going on Seasonale (where you only have three periods a year) might help? Or do any of you know anyone who takes that?

Old 03-04-2006, 01:21 PM   #7
(female)

cuckoobirdy HB User

I have been getting hormonal migraines since last July. The neurologist that I see for them also helped me figure out that I get one at ovulation too.

I am into week 2 of trying Seasonale at the recommendation of my GYN. I am already gaining weight....And I still had a headache on day 16 of my cycle but can't make sense of that since technically I am not ovulating.....

So, I have used Frova and Imitrex in the past but both meds make me really tired. My triggers are bright light and perfume and these have not gotten better with Seasonale so far.

I will have to pick my poison I guess depending on whether I still get a migraine during my trial with Seasonale.

Closed Thread