It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 06:09 AM   #1
(female)

gelifly HB User
What do you do for migraines?

Hi, all. I'm new to the board. I've been suffering from migraines for 19 years. I was 11 years old when they first began, a time when doctors knew little to nothing about them. I had catscans, allergy tests, my eyes checked, etc., and I tried several medications (I can't remember the names of them but they all made me even sicker than I was originally). Doctors told me it was part of my *cycle*, some told me it was because I had poor eye sight, others told me it was because of the foods I ate, and still others told me it was because of stress (I grew up with an alcoholic parent).

During my last visit to my pediatrician, he told me to take 3 Advil. That's it. I scoffed, and all through high school never took his advice because I didn't like taking medicine. One day on vacation, Advil was all I had, so I remembered the doctor's advice and went for it. I'm *so* glad I did! Though it's not 100% effective, it works 95% of the time, and it doesn't leave me feeling sick or unable to function in society. I'd much rather take Advil (just regular Advil, not migraine Advil) than any other medication. They're all too strong. And I tried getting shots and having nasal treatments, but none of that worked.

I'm 30 years old now, and get the headaches less often (I used to get them 1-5 times a month). I was on birth control pills at one time and those caused me to have migraines 5-6 times a week, so I've never been on them since. I tried the diet that the doctor's suggested (no MSG, no cheese, no soda, etc.), but my migraines don't coincide with the foods I eat. If they did, I'd be getting them a lot more frequently because I am a cheese addict! For me, they are triggered by stress, lack of sleep, my cycle, and bad eating habits (skipping a meal, eating too little, etc.), so I'm always concsious of what I'm doing to my body.

Because I had such bad experiences with experimental medicine, I refuse to take it again. I don't care what they come out with, I'm sticking to Advil and 20 minutes in a dark, quiet corner. When I get one at work, I take the Advil and go into a bathroom stall, close my eyes, and put my head in my hand for 20 minutes. Usually it works. I'm interested in hearing if you've come up with your own systems as well to get rid of your migraines as quickly as possible.

Last edited by gelifly; 06-06-2005 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Subscribing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread