It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #1
(male)

njochum HB User
Sudden "electrical shocks" in the head

Has anyone ever had sudden "electrical shocks" in the head, mostly happens in the front and around the temple. It usually lasts a second or two then it's fine. It happened recently, I've had a lot of stress this last week and I also have a bum shoulder (partially torn rotator) which affects my neck. Anyone have any insights on what might cause this? And should I seek attention?

Thanks

Old 06-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
(female)

frustrated grl HB User
Re: Sudden "electrical shocks" in the head

Electrical shocks are never fun. I would look into a pinched nerve that may be causing trigeminal neuralgia. I have it and when I am under stress and or extreme heat I get what feels like pin *****s in the left side of my face. There are meds that help. Mine is easily controlled. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #3

jriegel HB User

this sounds like a cluster headache (a specific burst of excruciating pain, typically located in one area and lasts for a few moments or sometimes up to an hour). i get these. didn't used to but one day they just started. no fun.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ahall HB User

I agree with the pinched nerve. Go see a chiropractor and get some relief, he'll take care of the shoulder too.

Old 06-30-2005, 06:09 PM   #5
(female)

cheer up HB User

I've had those same shooting pains in temple or elsewhere on the skull, on and off for years. Also was a big time migraine sufferer in my forties and had bad regular headaches prior to that. Now I still get the occasional migraine or bad tension type headache.

Back to the shooting head pains -- Really get your attention, don't they???

I have seen them described as ice pick headaches. You can look this up in books or on the web. Also, the trigeminal neuralgia someone mentioned is a possibility. Thus far I've had them come on go at intervals during a day, but lasting just a few seconds. I've not yet had one that lasted longer than a minute. But once they start, they are likely to repeat a few times more the same day (in my experience, anyway).

Naturally I expect more and am rewarded with more!

It's all fun, isn't it? I can't figure out when they will hit or why, but I am also a very anxious person and a worrier and prone to panic attacks so I figure it's all tied in together.

I would say try not to worry about it. It is really quite common. Of course, you could see a chiropractor or physician for additional info but I'm sure you are OK.

Closed Thread