It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

Sowul HB User
Headache that won't go away

First off... I'd like to appologize for the length of this post =) I just like to give all the information right off the bat.

Found this board while searching about headache information. Hopefully someone here can help me better than my doctors. Ive seen two neurologists, family MD, chiro, eye dr, dentist. Family MD told me my headaches were Occipital Neuralgia (sp?) and to take anxiety medication and read some books on zen mediation. Neurologists have told me they are migraines and not occipital neuraglia. I have another appointment with one to review blood tests and brain scans and all that jazz.
Family history is filled with people would have migraines and anxiety disorders. I do suffer from anxiety problems, but I just feel that they aren't the cause of my pain. I've always delt with anxiety using calming music or white noise machines. I'm rather opposed to medication as I'm very sensitive to most medication side effects (had to get off birth control due to side effects, which was about a year ago.) Used xanax for anxiety for last three months, but didn't notice any difference w/ headaches so I stop using it. Over the counter pain meds don't touch the headache. I stopped drinking caffiene about 4 months ago to see if that would help, and keep a very low sugar organic vegetarian diet. Blood work on vitamins and everything else have all been normal.
Here's the symptoms:
headache hit me sometime in late January after serious stress/anxiety attack triggered from school. (I'm a 22 yr college student, no other health problems) and hasn't gone away since. I've had it for 7 months now. Not one day has gone by that I haven't had this freakin headache. It ranges from a boring dull pain to a severe poking feeling on the bottom left side of my head. Sometime it travels up to the temples, behind my eyes, lower head, but usually sticks to the left side. I've had some visual auras that I've typically gotten with migraines in the past (I've had migraines about 5-6 times a year since age 7) that range from tunnel vision to lots and lots of sparkles hanging in the air. I've also become very sensitive to sound. Loud noise doesn't really bother me, but quiet small sounds are incredibly loud to me. (like my typing right now) Sounds are starting to make me feel very ill to the stomach (dr. said that was motion sickness related) The pain doesn't really feel like my past migraines (pain actually only goes away when I excersize, then comes back immediately after I stop) I randomly lose feeling in my feet and hands, and sometimes they get super tingly. My left side is a little more sensitive to the touch and my right side is more numb on my whole body. The headache sometimes causes confusion, attention problems, and extreme irritability (my boyfriend is ready to kill me for my 24/7 bitchiness). I feel like all my doctors don't know what they are talking about.

Anyone else going throught this. This headache is causing me to miss too much class and is driving me insane. Not to mention I'm fearing it's never going to leave.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks... and again... super sorry about the long read!!!

-Casey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
Re: Headache that won't go away

What type of migraine medications did your neurologist prescribe? You did not mention any!

Certain foods can cause migraines. Suggest you do a Google search for a list of these foods.

Sometimes the weather can play a factor with certain people.

Over excertion, bending up & down.

Since you do not like taking meds, ask your doctors about biofeedback treatments, consider taking Vit B2 400mg/daily & try to take a nap every day.

Personal Opinon: Best thing for migraines are prescribed medications. Especially if they work, the side effects are worth it.

Others will pop up in here with other ideas.

Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
(female)

Searching:S HB User

I understand. I've gone though the same thing. With headaches that lasted from 3 weeks to 6 months... over the course of the last 3 years. I've tried tons of meds, all the docs. like you say ... and it doesn't seem to help, tried different stuff, like the chiro. have you tried different diets? Some food might be to blame, it might take a while, but what you do is try taking one or two foods out of your diet for a month and see if it improves, you can get lists of some of the main foods.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sk777 HB User

I have recurring migraines, also tension headaches that turn into migraines. I have this constant left eye pain that has been going on for 1.5 yrs. I think it's the neck muscle (I also have disk problems). I have tried, in addition to several meds, accupuncture, which did help somewhat, particularly the intense massage they give you afterward. I decided it was the massage and that it would be cheaper to go get one of those chair massages every so often. Anyway, I recommend trying accupuncture and/or massage.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
(female)

Moonstar HB User

My sympathies..it's nasty to have a headache that won't go away. I had one quite a few yrs ago that lasted for over a yr.. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who's had a headache like that, I swear everyone thought I was lying or just plain crazy. One day i woke up and it was gone.. felt like something was missing because I was so used to having it there.
I've seen 3 neurologist, one when I was little and the other 2 since I was a teenager. Their only answer has been it's stress related you'll have it the rest of your life..deal with it.. which doesn't suit me.. I don't believe it can be solely stress. Like you I've had migraines from a very early age, I was about 4 when they first started.. though I tend to get at least 2/month.
So far I've found that advil migraine pills have helped better than anything my doctor has ever given me to try.. they usually will at the very least calm it down to a dull roar.. especially if I take them early enough.
Good luck with your headache..I hope it goes away very soon.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:14 AM   #6
(female)

gingerweezie HB User

I feel for you. My headache like yours started last December 27th and didn't go away until last month, June. I still get them a few times a week but not everyday 24/7. I'm seeing a doctor and taking meds but if you don't want to or can't go that route right now, try vitamins and herbs. Along with my meds I take 3 caplets daily of a Magnesium / Calcium / Zinc combo pill, along with 2 calpets of an herb called Feverfew. You can research them. They are very good for headaches. The first one I got at Walmart and the Feverfew I got at a vitamin store like GNC, both were under $5.00 each. It's worth a try!! Please post again if you have more questions or have any success with anything! Good Luck!! Don't give up! Ginny

Old 07-17-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
(female)

Sowul HB User

Quick update...

After seeing 2 different chiro's, one recommended getting a two hour deep massage that would tear my muscles in my neck, shoulders, and at the base of my skull. The massage actually has taken the edge off of my headaches for 24 hours now. I have 4 two hour massages with a doctor set up for the next week, so hopefully it keeps working. They think that is the trigger for my headaches since my neck and shoulders are really tight and since I hold all my tension there, it is causing those muscles to tear away and setting off severe headaches and worsening the occipital areas.

I definately suggest other people with my symptoms try a deep should and neck massage.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:51 AM   #8
(male)

nmajdan HB User

My girlfiend has had a headache since Easter. She has been to the emergency room twice and to a neurologist 3 times. I'm really getting fed up with this neuro. He just keeps prescribing more and more of the same medicine (Topamax) that isn't working. Today, he told her to start taking 4 pills twice daily (200mg/day). But she has been taking different amounts of this medicing for over 2 months and nothing has come of it yet. I'm really getting fed up with him and may go to a different doctor. A CT scan was conducted during one of the ER visits but no MRI has been done yet. This doctor of hers just came in for 1 minute and wrote a stronger prescription and thats it. I'd like for her to get a massage, but as we are students, our budget is very limited.

Old 07-18-2005, 02:42 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmajdan
My girlfiend has had a headache since Easter. She has been to the emergency room twice and to a neurologist 3 times. I'm really getting fed up with this neuro. He just keeps prescribing more and more of the same medicine (Topamax) that isn't working. Today, he told her to start taking 4 pills twice daily (200mg/day). But she has been taking different amounts of this medicing for over 2 months and nothing has come of it yet. I'm really getting fed up with him and may go to a different doctor. A CT scan was conducted during one of the ER visits but no MRI has been done yet. This doctor of hers just came in for 1 minute and wrote a stronger prescription and thats it. I'd like for her to get a massage, but as we are students, our budget is very limited.
Topamax is not a cure for migraines. All it does is lessen the frequency of them. Unfortunatly, with some people it takes time to find the proper dosage for this to happen.

Also, your girlfriend should be taking other types of migraine relief whenever she begines to feel a migraine coming. Some examples:
Zomig (Spray)
Imitrex
Firocet

If she is not taking any of the above, strongly suggest that she ask the Neurologist for some samples if she is unable to afford them and/or have health insurance. Do not be ashamed to do this. I have full health insurance & always ask for samples at every office visit. Especially the Topamax as that is the most epensive.

This site should be very helpful for your girlfriend: http://www.needymeds.com
-----------------------------

Have your girlfriend watch what she eats. Certain foods can trigger a migraine.
Do a Google search for migraine food triggers and/or migraine triggers.

Weather can trigger migraines, especially the summer months.

Keep a migraine calander. This will help keep track of the migraines & help figure out what triggers them. Take calander to doctors for his/her records also.

MRI will show nothing if girlfriend is really suffering from migraines. You cannot see pain. Reason why nothing will show up on the CT scan if normal.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
(female)

Sowul HB User

update:

My new neurologist has put me on topomax and prednizone (sp?) and firocet to start today. I told him I need to wait till finals are done w/ in school, which will be this next wednesday. I'm really not looking forward to medicating myself because I'm fairly anti-perscription, but am getting desperate.
He diagnosed my headaches as a combo of new persistent daily HA and occipital neuralgia. Anyone know any good internet sources to look up the New daily HA's?

ANy info would be great. thanks

Old 07-27-2005, 07:27 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowul
update:

My new neurologist has put me on topomax and prednizone (sp?) and firocet to start today. I told him I need to wait till finals are done w/ in school, which will be this next wednesday. I'm really not looking forward to medicating myself because I'm fairly anti-perscription, but am getting desperate.
He diagnosed my headaches as a combo of new persistent daily HA and occipital neuralgia. Anyone know any good internet sources to look up the New daily HA's?

ANy info would be great. thanks
Internet sources=information overload

Just use Google as your search engine & go from there.

BTW: Headaches & Migraines are 2 different medical conditions. So when you do your research you will need to 2 seperate ones. One for occipital neuralgia & the other for headaches (HA).

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2005, 03:24 PM   #12
(female)

Sowul HB User

thanks for everything.
I haven't started my medications yet because I want to see if a change in environment will have any effect on my headaches. I'm also a little wary of taking migraine medication if my main problem is occiptal neuralgia. Right now I live in Utah at a very high altitude and willbe spending the next two weeks at sea level. I'm curious to see if the altitude change will break my pain cycle. And if not, I guess I'll be joining the world of topomax users.

So far, the only medication I've used is the Frovatriptan that made my headaches much worse, not to mention extreme joint pain all over my body.

I guess I'll just keep on truckin' for now.
-casey

Old 08-22-2005, 06:13 PM   #13
(female)

Sowul HB User

So quick update. I'm growing to hate my doctor. It's amazing how hard it is to find a doctor that will give you the time of day and not just write you a perscription to shut you up. ugh!!!! Had a follow-up today so the dr could tell me that everything was fine w/ my test results (mri, bloods tests, blah blah blah) and he asked me if the prednizone/topamax/flovatriptan was doing anything and I told him no i was just tired all the time and my headaches are worse and I'm more frustrated...so he said to just up the topamax to 75mgs in a few days and give that a go for a week. He also told me to take 50 mgs of Indocin twice a day for a month (it's kinda like vioxx). When I asked him about side effects, he pretty much just blew me off (just like the last neuro i went to) and was out the door. It's really frustrating for me because I keep asking him why I have a headache and what it could be caused from and the only thing that ever comes out of his mouth is stuff about doping me up on pain killers. All these stupid medications just seem to be making me really grumpy and numb (emotionally) and my headache just keeps getting worse. Sorry for the bitching... I just needed to vent somewhere!!!! UHGH!

I'm so frustrasted w/ not being able to really trust my doctor. He just doesn't seem to care and he certainly doesn't listen to a thing I have to say. Anyone else have this problem? I'm wondering if it's just me or if it's Utah or what?

Last edited by Sowul; 08-22-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #14
(male)

benk HB User
Thumbs down Re: Headache that won't go away

i have had the same headache for 2 days now, which is the longest i've ever had a headache for. it's an on-off headache and it's severly painfull. i cant sleep at night, and if i do manage to doze off, i'm painfull awakened to a throbbing in the left side of my brain. im going to kill myself if this headache does not go away >

Old 06-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #15
(male)

timmy22 HB User

i have the same prob sowul, had headaches now for 4 months, pretty much everyday, been to doctor about 7 times, just gives me crap pills that dont work! its so frustrating! we live in a world now where you are treated like cattle when you go to a doc! they tap in your complaint on there screen, and a list of drugs will come up, and they just pick one!!!!!! hope it works out for ya mate

Closed Thread