It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005, 06:29 PM   #1
(female)

kentuckywoman HB User
Migraine and Lump on head above temple. Connected?

I have been suffering from migraines for about 4 years now. I take Neurontin, Elavil, and Corgard for preventives. I started getting a migraine yesterday, throbbing pain in the temple area. Sometimes I can actually feel the blood going through the veins in the temple. Last night I noticed a small lump just above the temple. It felt sore like maybe I had bumped my head, but I don't remember bumping into anything. Early in the morning, I thought the lump had gone down, although it still felt sore. I went about my day, and the headache was not too bad. After dinner tonight, my headache got worse, and I noticed the lump has gotten a lot bigger. My whole temple area feels tight, and is very painful when I move my head or to touch. Has anyone had this before? Could the migraine and lump be connected, and should I be concerned about this lump? There is no bruise or discoloration.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Migraine and Lump on head above temple. Connected?

Have you tried any of the vasoconstrictor/triptan drugs like Relpax? Maybe the "lump" would go down if you had a medicine like that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
(female)

kentuckywoman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMom
Have you tried any of the vasoconstrictor/triptan drugs like Relpax? Maybe the "lump" would go down if you had a medicine like that.
Thanks for the reply SRMom.
I cannot take any of the triptans because they cause rapid heartbeat and tightness in my chest. I think I have tried them all, Relpax being the latest. I do think this lump is migraine related as it seems to go down in the morning, but starts swelling more as the day goes on. It looks like a goose egg right now. I was suppose to see my HA doctor at Cleveland Clinic on Monday, but they called and rescheduled it for April. Someone had goofed when I was there 6 months ago, and scheduled me for Labor Day. I put in a call to the doctor but he has not gotten back with me yet. If this keeps swelling I may just go to the ER.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

April!! They should fit you in...it was their fault! The only other thing I can think of is it might be angioedema, which is caused by an allergic reaction. I had it on my eyelid and my lip last year. It got swollen and then went down a couple of times. I never did figure out what I was allergic to. It is not serious, but it sure scared me until I had it checked out. Please go the the ER if you can't be seen by your doctor...a "goose egg" on your head for no reason sounds serious.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

Quote:
I was suppose to see my HA doctor at Cleveland Clinic on Monday, but they called and rescheduled it for April.
April of 2006?

You need to change doctors & find one who has more time for their patients. You should not be delayed like that for someone elses scheduling mistake.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
(female)

kentuckywoman HB User

The lump is still there, and very sore to the touch. I hate to go to the ER if it could only be an allergy. I may try to get in to see my family doctor tomorrow. They are very good about getting me in anytime. I just had a checkup with him on Monday and I told him about them changing my appt. with the HA doctor. My family doctor told me if I ran into trouble with the HA he would call and see if he can get me an earlier appt. I really like this HA doctor, and am hoping he will call me back. He has called me himself on two other occasions. I would like to get rid of this HA before Sat. as my son and wife will be coming home for the week-end.

Old 09-03-2005, 11:33 AM   #7
(female)

kentuckywoman HB User

I just want to update those who have read this post. My headache got real bad last night and the lump continues to swell, so DH and I decided it was time to go to the ER. When I got to the hospital my BP was 198/110. The ER doctor gave me a shot of Demerol and did some blood tests. THe tests show that I have Temporal Arteritis. He did not do anything else, but suggested I get into my Family doctor and let him decide what treatment would be best for me. He also said I should see an Opthalogist as this condition can lead to blindness if left untreated. He said most likely treatment would be steroids to reduce the inflammation.
I had a good night of sleep last night from the Demerol, but the headache is back today and as in previous days is getting worse as the day goes on. I will go in to see my family doctor on Tuesday. I just did a Google search on Temporal Arteritis and the symptoms listed explain a lot of how I have been feeling.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I'll be reading about Temporal Arteritis myself now too. It sounds self-explanatory, but I wonder what causes it? I hope you will get some relief and hopefully a cure soon. I'm so sorry you are going through this. It sounds very painful.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:52 PM   #9
(female)

kentuckywoman HB User

SRMom,
Thank you gor your responce!
I went in to my family doctor today. He said that Temporal Arteritis is an immunity disorder much like rhumatoid arthritis. I have been diagnosed with other conditions that are immunity or auto-immune related. I have IBS, A skin condition called Lichen Planus, and now this. Of course sometimes I think doctors say it is immunity related when they do not know what to do. Anyway my family doctor today said he wants to check and double check before starting me on steroids. He sent me to the hospital for more blood work and a CT scan with contrast dye. My Dr. said he wants to be sure there is nothing going on inside the scull as well. My BP was still up 178/100 today, so the DR. doubled my BP medication. I got the labs and CT scan done today and I am just waiting for the doctor to call with the results.

Closed Thread