It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User
Headache relief when lying face down (head to side)? CSF-Blood patch.

I went to the Neurologist today and he thinks I may have a spontaneous Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF) and is suggesting a "blood patch". Unfortunately he said there is no way to really tell where the location of the leak may be.

I get most relief from lying face down in bed with my head to either side lying very still. Postural Headaches are supposedly relieved in this position and are supposedly rare.

Can anyone elaborate or enlighten me on what kind of headaches or problems may be relieved by lying face down? I can not lie on my back looking up at the ceiling because I get too much pressure in the back of my head in this position resulting in pressure and dull achey pain. No drug has helped with the exception of the occassional Ibuprofen, and that only works sometimes to reduce but not eliminate the symptoms.

And finally has anyone experience with:
headache relief in the face down position
CSF Leaks and Blood Patches for repair?

Please share your experience or opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User
Re: Headache relief when lying face down (head to side)? CSF-Blood patch.

Hi--

Have you had a spinal tap lately? That could cause a csf leak, in turn the headaches, and the doctors say the blood patch will cure it instantly.
I had a spinal tap a few months ago and had terrible headaches for about a week, and my doctor told me if they didnt go away to come back in and get a blood patch. I never had to but I heard they cure the headaches.
Good luck to you.

schao

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

No Spinal Tap. It's "spontaneous". I do have neck probems and have read that spontaneous leaks athough rare can occur as the result of injury (trauma - even trauma that may have occured years ago) and in some cases even from osteophytes. There doesn't seem to be a lot of general knowledge about how they occur, reliable ways to locate the leak (Unless of course caused by a puncture) or how effective blood patches are. I want to avoid an intentional puncture of my spinal chord (to place dye to find the leak) so I will probably try the suggested "blind" patch, where the blood is injected in the suspect area and hopefully finds its way to the leak.

This is why I posted this note I'd like to see if anyone has first hand experience with this type of headache. The primary symptoms are relieved when lying flat and increase when sitting or standing.

Please advise

Thank you

Old 11-28-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
(female)

konniep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by notpain
No Spinal Tap. It's "spontaneous". I do have neck probems and have read that spontaneous leaks athough rare can occur as the result of injury (trauma - even trauma that may have occured years ago) and in some cases even from osteophytes. There doesn't seem to be a lot of general knowledge about how they occur, reliable ways to locate the leak (Unless of course caused by a puncture) or how effective blood patches are. I want to avoid an intentional puncture of my spinal chord (to place dye to find the leak) so I will probably try the suggested "blind" patch, where the blood is injected in the suspect area and hopefully finds its way to the leak.

This is why I posted this note I'd like to see if anyone has first hand experience with this type of headache. The primary symptoms are relieved when lying flat and increase when sitting or standing.

Please advise

Thank you
I had to have a myelogram once, where they drain all your spinal fluids out and inject dye into your spinal cord to get pics of it and tell if theres a disc ruptured. I do have a ruptured disc in my neck and 1 bulging beneath it. But after that myelogram, I couldn't sit or stand, the only way I could get any kind of relief is to lie down and it still wouldn't absolutely go away. But it helped so much!! I had it for about 1 week. So my mom called dr. that performed the procedure and he told her to bring me in and get a blood patch. What they did to me was they put me to sleep, took some of my blood outta my arm and injected it into the hole that they drained the fluids out from the myelogram. So they knew where mine was, but I don't know how they would find yous. I woke up and felt like a new woman!! No headache!!! It's worth it!

Old 12-07-2005, 07:28 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

I had a lumbar blood patch "blind", it was no help at all. Don't know what to try next. I asked for a cervical patch, but they wouldn't do that. The doctors know I have problems in the neck, but refuse for some reason to look at the area. I know it's "safer" to do the blood patch in the lumbar spine, but why "Hope" it works it's way up.

I don't feel very confident going back to a doctor who doesn't have the confidence to insert the needle in the cervical spine. That's why they have flourscopy. I've already had 2 cervical needle proceedures in the spine. What good is it to treat an area and hope it will help another area? The success rates are dismal. I'm getting very tired of throwing money away on guesses, and even more frustrated by the complete lack of diagnostic skills of 90% of the physcians I've seen.

Honestly, I've shown phlegm samples (I hack up green/yellow crud onto a tissue and put in a plastic baggy) to 3 ENT's and all 3 have dismissed it. It's NOT normal to do this. I have confirmed sinusitis on my MRI scans. Yet they just say something like MRI's overread. I had one ENT tell me to take a broad spectrum anti-biotic. I asked what would happen if it was fungal, he said you will get much worse? I was baffled at the response! There must be some way to test this phlegm? If I were still in College I'd take my own sample in the Biology lab and culture it myself?

What do doctors do exactly?

Old 12-15-2005, 05:52 AM   #6
(female)

Randi And. HB User

I suffer from Severe Migraines. I am 18 and have been having them since i was about 10. The only relief i have is laying face down, with my head to the right side... (i always get my migraines on the left side of my head, going down into my neck, and eventually down into my shoulder blades and back).I feel so much better laying with my head to the right, becuase it puts pressure on the side i have the headache on, and i never found out why that is. I need to be in the complete darkness and have no sound at all so i can fall asleep. Sleep is my only cure. I have had tests beyond tests and MRI's and tried different medications such as replax, skelaxin, imetrex, topamax, and so many more. All of which were different methods from at home shots, pills, to nasal spray. Nothing works besides laying on my side and being able to fall asleep. I can elborate when you say laying on your side helps, i'm sure this is not the only option, but it sounds like you get the same ole great Severe Migraines like myself....from what it sounds like to me...i have the same feelings as yourself. Hope this helps!

Closed Thread