It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

kellw57 HB User
Lower dose Topamax

Has anyone started out on a lower dose of Topamax. I was wondering if you could cut the tablets in half to make it a 12.5mg dose. Then gradually build up, just at a lower rate. because I am very sensitive to meds. My doctor said I can start at 25mgs. but to go up every 2 weeks instead of every week, He thought that might help with side effects. But I would like to start out lower. I know there is a capsule form that is 15mgs. so people must start out that low.
Your input would be appreciated.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
(female)

townlake HB User
Re: Lower dose Topamax

They do not recommend cutting the pills as they are suppose to be very very bitter. I also respond to pills very easily but have found that I have to have a larger dose of these than I thought - I am now at 125 per day but I have to take three of the 25 in the morning (very early) and two in the afternoon (around 4:00 pm) cause they wire me and will keep me up all night if I don't - that is my story anyway!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

I started off at 25mg & am now up to 100mg (going on 2 1/2 years) - 50mg in the am & 50mg in the pm.
I refuse to go up any higher because of the side effects.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:13 PM   #4
(female)

mollymadison HB User

I just started Topomax Friday, Jan 6 at 50 mg and have the side effect of severe tinlging in the toes and fingers on the Left hand. Like when the fall asleep. This is a common side effect but I want to know if this goes way. I want know if this is going to go away or ir this is going to get worse as the dosage increases. I am to go up 50 mg every 7 days until I am up to 200 mg at night every day. I was told to take them at night because they help you sleep. and they do help me sleep so far. What other side effects has anyone experienced? The preventive of the migraines has not begun yet, in fact Thurs and Fri of this week was the WORST migraine of my life. Had to go to the ER and get 2 heavy duty doses of demoral.

I broke my 100 mg pills in half at first because my RX did not have 50 mg on hand and I needed to start right away. They said that it was on back order. The tast is bitter but not intolerable. Just swallow with a big chug of water.

Good luck and if any one has any input on their side effects of Topomax, please pass those on.

Thanks,

Old 01-16-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
(female)

townlake HB User

Well, I must be the strangest one yet cause they wire me - they do not help me sleep for sure and I cannot get to sleep if I take them right before bedtime - The tingling in the toes, yes it comes and goes, sometimes it is there for a day or two, not all the time mind you but definately when I first take them for an hour or so afterward, but then I can go for several days and the tingling not happen. I also have some tingling in the face on occasion - I can wipe my hand over my face and the hairs on my face tingle - kind of cool really, but it does not happen all the time. I have been taking them now since before Christmas but I had to work up to the 125 mg. I take the three 25 mg in the morning and two 25 mg in the evening. Right when I started taking them I also had several of the worst headaches I have ever had and they lasted for two days - nothing, I repeat, nothing, phased them until it was like the headache demon just gave up and went home.

Of course, there is the side effect of the coke thing but that is probably a good thing actually.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

The tingling side effects of Topamax can be reduced by taking 100mg of Vitamin B1. -eko

Old 01-22-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko
The tingling side effects of Topamax can be reduced by taking 100mg of Vitamin B1. -eko
Interesting. I take 400mgs of Vitamin B2 daily. I get the tingling feelings but not as bad as the people here seem to get them.

Then again, it could depend on the Topamax dosage &/or the persons tolorance to the side effects.

Topamax is one crazy drug. Works for me though!

Old 01-23-2006, 05:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

My Neuro made that recommendation to me, as I am on Diamox as well. I take 100mg of Vitamine B1 daily and it helps me with the side effects, especially the tingling. -eko

Old 01-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
(female)

jblakney HB User

Oh guys please becareful with Topomax and make sure they do follow-up blood work on you once every couple of months like they are suppose to. And if you are just getting started on them, make sure they order blood work one month after being on them. I too had the tingling feelings and dizziness, which I knew was a side effect. But what they don't tell you is if it persists even after being on it a month it could be doing more harm than good. Yeah the med was working I hadn't felt that good in a long time. But after being on it for a month they did the routine blood work just to make sure everything was okay and it wasn't. The meds had my bicarbonate level so out of whack. I was having the severe and prolonged tingling effects and dizziness because it was my body telling me that something was wrong. I losing lots of calcium in my blood which was ruining my bones. I did loose weight on the meds I lost almost 20 pds in a month. Reminder if you have to quit or you choose to take yourself off of Topomax, you can't quit cold turkey you have to ween yourself by dropping one pill from your daily schedule each week until you are on none.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:31 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblakney
Oh guys please becareful with Topomax and make sure they do follow-up blood work on you once every couple of months like they are suppose to. And if you are just getting started on them, make sure they order blood work one month after being on them. I too had the tingling feelings and dizziness, which I knew was a side effect. But what they don't tell you is if it persists even after being on it a month it could be doing more harm than good. Yeah the med was working I hadn't felt that good in a long time. But after being on it for a month they did the routine blood work just to make sure everything was okay and it wasn't. The meds had my bicarbonate level so out of whack. I was having the severe and prolonged tingling effects and dizziness because it was my body telling me that something was wrong. I losing lots of calcium in my blood which was ruining my bones. I did loose weight on the meds I lost almost 20 pds in a month. Reminder if you have to quit or you choose to take yourself off of Topomax, you can't quit cold turkey you have to ween yourself by dropping one pill from your daily schedule each week until you are on none.
Funny you should mention that. My Neuro does the blood test at each office visit which is every 4 months.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:42 PM   #11
(female)

jblakney HB User

Good!! Then you know he is doing his job. I loved the med. it worked for my headaches but it just didn't love me. I just wanted to let people know that way if they weren't getting blood work done then they knew someone wasn't doing their job

Closed Thread