It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

waiting4baby05 HB User
Question migraines..what works for you?

I have been having migraines off and on for years and am now just looking into finding solutions and ways to prevent them. Before I was always able to go lay down and ride the pain out. But I can't stand it anymore and I have a baby to take care of. So that is not an option. A doctor I saw told me to look into different foods that can trigger it. I was presribed imitrex a while back, no luck. And now I am on ISOMETH/APAP/DI-PHENZ. I took it at an onset of that I thaught was a migraine and it seemed to help. I have yet to try it when I have the "auras" and numbness I get when I have a migraine.
What works for you with migraines? What foods need to be cut out? I stay away from caffeine and sugar. I don't eat dairy barely at all. And occasionally I have a drink but only once have I had a migraine after one or two drinks. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
Re: migraines..what works for you?

Check out the following link for migraine food triggers: [url]http://healthboards.*****.com/search/search_results/?query=migraine+triggers&Submit1=Search[/url]

Check out the following link for migraine diary:[url]http://healthboards.*****.com/content/article/46/1826_50671.htm[/url]

Since you have a "baby", when you put the baby down for a nap, that is when you take your nap!
If that is not possible, then you hand your baby over to your significant other and/or a family member for an hour or two to get that nap in.

What works for me is surely not going to work for you because of the baby however, the following will help to take the edge off:

An old fashion ice bag: The kind you place ICE CUBES inside. You can find this at a drug store like CVS. Use ICE CUBES NOT ICE CHIPS.
Place on top of head and/or forehead. Whichever is more comfortable to you.

My personal favorite: Breyers Vanella Ice Creme. Must be the BREYERS brand. Don't know why this brand works (must be the black dots), but it works.
You start eating it at the onset of the migraine.

Ask you doctor about Zomig Nasal Spray 5mg. - The spray works 3-5 minutes if taken at the onset of a migraine.

Vit B2 100mgs daily (over the counter) - take 4 pills daily.

Because of the baby: STAY AWAY FROM TOPAMAX!!!!!!

Others will chime in with other wonderful suggestions.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

How does ISOMETH/APAP/DI-PHENZ work? Do you have any side effects? I was just prescribed this medicine. I used to take fiornal (sp?)but with everything else I am taking, I don't want to take anything else with a chance of addiction. I am trying to stay away from anything like that...so if this is like that, I don't want to take it. Good luck with your baby!!! Treasure these moments!!! My little guy is 2 1/2 and the days just fly by.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

3 Excedrin, 2 Dramamine, and lay down in a dark room until it passes

Old 10-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
(female)

HIM HB User

this is what works for me...

after trying a few different migraine medicines, maxalt xlt works best for me. it is a little disolving tablet that you place under your tongue the very first symptom of migraine. i was out of medicine for a while, plus i try not to take them if i don't reaaaaaaaallly need to. so i learned to calm myself with breathing techniques. since you say you would lay down and ride it out...i'm sure you know what i am talking about. something that works well for me is breathing in through my mouth and exhaling through my nose. slowly. warm air, if it is cold or if you are in cold a/c (perhaps in a car) forget about it. open a window. fresh air is best.

i haven't had much problems with food being a trigger for me. perhaps i naturally avoid those...stress is an issue for me. and the migraine hits once i finally relax or resolve. (unless it is something that is bothering more than i realize)

i hope i have helped ... good luck, and talk to your dr about maxalt.

Closed Thread