It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
(male)

ny2125 HB User
children and headaches

our daughter sometimes complains about headaches, mostly when we are in the car. she is four years old and we do not notice any odd symptoms or such. then sometimes when she says she has a headache at home, its usually before she eats or drinks something and then is fine. to our knowledge she is a healthy girl. my wife does get car sick and complains about it a lot. not to brag, but she is a very smart and "sharp" little girl who seems to pick up on a lot of things and understands a lot. any suggestions or feedback would be great! thanks!

Old 04-24-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
Re: children and headaches

Have her checked by her pediatrician. 4 year old should not be getting "headaches".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
(male)

ny2125 HB User
Wink Re: children and headaches

so are you saying kids dont get headaches??? i have just done a lot of research and i found out they can be common among children. tension, bad sleep patterns, not eating properly or drinking, watching a lot of tv can cause headaches in kids. migraines are common too. she was checked about a year ago (exam) and had her eyes fully checked and said she was fine. obviously if she starts vomiting, vomiting upon awakening, losing balance, feeling weak, or odd sensations then i will get her to her dr. asap. i just wanted to see if others w/kids have experienced this. her headaches come out of nowhere, and then are gone just as fast. she'll mope for a few minutes and then bam, running around and acting fine. and if she is doing something she likes, she so far has not complained of a headache during that time. i did notice that when she gets these aches, usually they are on days she has a pony tail in, didnt get enough sleep, or eat/drink much. i am not trying to sound like i am denying anything bad can be there, but i dont want to become a hypochondriac parent and make her one too.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:21 AM   #4
(female)

lauralu2000 HB User

Alot of children complain of headches. As parents we wonder ...how in the world can someone so little suffer from a headache? But they do...just like we do....your daughter may just be one of those ppl that when she gets alittle dehydrated she starts to get a headache. Alot of ppl are like that.
Also alot of children and women get headaches and sensitive scalp when they have been wearing a pony tail too long. I would keep some mental notes concenring it. Or even some real notes in a notepad just in case over the years she is one of the unlucky kids who gets migrains. For sure you will want to keep track of the pattern at that time.

Some of the signs to watch for if this is something more serious would be if her her eyes start to move wierd. Or one goes in . Vomiting, vision changes, balance problems. It sounds as if though for now.....she is just one of those kids that has some headache difficulty.

Last edited by lauralu2000; 05-03-2006 at 07:23 AM.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

Have your child checked out by a pediatric neurologist. One who specializes in headaches. I would check at your local hospital for one for starters and/or your childs doctor may be able to recommend one.

BTW, finding out the cause of your childs headaches has nothing to do with you or your child becoming a hypochondriac. You are being just a concerned parent.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2006, 06:55 AM   #6
(male)

ny2125 HB User

she had a pretty good exam by her doctor. we explained everything. obviously it is something we will watch out for. these headaches come and go very fast, usually when she is bored, tired, hungry, or in "trouble"! that is the pattern we are picking up on. she has so far never needed meds, never been stopped from any activity, no vomiting/nausea, nor other neuro signs.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
(female)

Drewtn HB User

My first thought was dehydration. It is really easy for kids to get dehydrated. I would try to make sure she gets enough water each day for sure. A ponytail can cause head pain too. She probably can't differentiate between the different kinds of head pain so to her it is all a headache but she might have a couple different kinds. You might also just glance at how she sleeps. Her neck position and pillow can make a difference too.
Wish you the best of luck and I hope they go away!!
Drew

Old 05-21-2006, 03:00 AM   #8
(female)

pamsview HB User
Lightbulb Re: children and headaches

I have a daughter who has suffered headaches since about the age of 7 years and just got used to them. We had several trips to various doctors and had various painkillers/ tests/ drinking more fluids/ schoolitis but had no success. They were never severe enough for her to miss school but niggled in the background and spoiled life.

As luck would have it, she started work as a dental nurse and the dentist made her a gumshield to stop teeth grinding and the headaches have improved significantly. It would never have occured to me to mention headaches at a dental check but it could have saved years of pain.

Hope this helps someone else

Last edited by pamsview; 05-21-2006 at 03:01 AM.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
(female)

zizi02 HB User

Dear ny2125,
Not sure if you are still a member. I just wanted to learn how your daugter is doing since my daughter (5 yrs old) is having the exact same type of headaches as you describe here. I asked her pediatrician about it during her 5-yr checkup but she just told us to keep an eye on it, and call her immediately if none of the triggers such as car ride, etc are present when the headache occurs. Nothing came up during her eye exam, but I see here that teeth grinding may play a role as well although I haven't noticed it before.
Thanks in advance for any info you might share.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:54 AM   #10
(female)

pamg6 HB User

I have a couple of friends that their children get Migraines. I know that one of them was quite young when hers began and the other child maybe about7 or 8 years of age. I know they both would vomit the pain was so bad. My daughter used to be this trooper of a traveller, and about 1 or 2 years ago, began to complain of car sickness!! She hasn't said to much about headaches...aybe one or two of them and just mild. She is 11 now. I either heard or read that car/motion sickness goes hand in hand with Migraine syndrome!!!

Pam 3

Last edited by pamg6; 04-18-2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: typing errors

Closed Thread