It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User
Migraine Aura - so similar to stroke it's scary

Just a thought. Has anyone else wondered this?

Sometimes migraines with aura (the visual things, numbness in hands and side of body, inability to speak, comprehend, read/write, talk, etc) seem SO similar to the common symptoms of a stroke, is anyone ever nervous that one day they might be having a stroke and not do anything about it because they don't realise, because the symptoms are the same as for a migraine with aura?

This scares me. Also, reading that 40% of strokes that occur before the age of 50 are migraineous strokes doesn't help either. Does this mean that people with migraines with aura have somehow weakened their brain and are more susceptible to early strokes? EEEP!

DOes anyone else wonder if they've actually got any mild brain damage from repeated migraines with aura? Sometimes I really do wonder this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

DogMom22 HB User
Re: Migraine Aura - so similar to stroke it's scary

You are right, migraine aura symptoms are so close to stroke, my first migraines had me in the ER because I thought I was having a stroke - I didn't even mention the headache I had by the time I saw the doctor! After I understood they were migraines I would still go to the ER after one with an aura to get a a neuro check even though I was pretty sure that it was just another migraine, eventually I stopped going to the ER as I recognized the symptoms and eventually my aura's stopped, they are rare for me now, now I just get the migraine. However I have some advice/suggestions that can maybe help ease your anxiety and concerns over determining whether you are having a stroke or a migraine. You should talk to your doctor about this - I do not have a medical background.

Anyway, you can ask your family or friends to do this when you are having an aura (aka stroke symtoms) to help you determine whether you need immediate medical attention for a stroke. Please note that this test is not endorsed by the American Stroke Association (they have not taken a position on it one way or the other) but I have read many positive results about this test and it has been widely distrubuted via email and I fully believe if people in general employ this many lives can be saved. It's simple, it's called the SMILE test and should be performed on the person who you suspect might be having a stroke or you in the case of having a migraine aura and you want to assure yourself it is not a stroke. Tell your friend of family member you are having an aura (attack is probably a better word) and to give you the SMILE test:

1) Ask the individual to smile
2) Ask him or her to raise both arms
3) Ask the person to speak a simple sentence coherently

If the person can't do even one of these seek immediate medical attention, I think (not quite sure on this one) if you get medical attention wthin 3 hours the impact of the stroke can be completely minimized.

I too have often wondered about any damage being done when these attacks happen. Nothing I have read or been told has lead me to believe that, although it sure is hard to believe when you have these things. I will tell you that I had many of them in my twenties and as far as I can tell I didn't experience any long term damage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 01:16 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User

Thanks so much for that information, it's really helpful.

I think for me it's not really that right now I'm scared I may have a stroke and not know, it's more just for when I'm older and perhaps at more risk of having one.

Any long term damage for me just seems to be...it seems as if I'm so much more forgetful and vague and sleepy than I used to be all the time. My eyes have never been the same either. Always sort of weird...not flashing, but just sprinkling of faint light. I also find they are super sensitive to light. If I get a photo taken, for other people the light remains in their eyes for maybe 1-2 minutes but for me it's still there when I blink for up to 10 minutes.

I also find when I get very tired, I feel terribly weird and sick. Like a migraine may come on. I have to keep reassuring myself I am just tired and not feeling pre-aura weirdness.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

I've been wondering the same thing a lot lately. I have even gone to the mirror & smiled at myself trying to give myself the smile test. I guess that is getting paranoid but after years of migraines I expect anything to happen. Have you ever experienced moments b/4 a migraine the feeling you are about to loose consciousness? It lasts for just a split second. I also have seizures & inner ear problems so I never know what is happening. I don't like losing control.
Good luck!

Old 05-28-2006, 01:05 PM   #5

rikki HB User
Lightbulb Re: Migraine Aura - so similar to stroke it's scary

Hi,
I too often wonder the same thing. I have really bad auras from time to time. They occur several days in a row, then my not happen again for months. I also do not always get headache pain.. I get the visual disturbance,numbness, tingles,weakness, funny densations heavy limbs etc... I often wonder how would I know if this was indeed a stroke and not an aura...How long should I wait if I am not sure..What about damage being done to my head...But everytime I do drag myself to ER they say its a complicated Migraine....

Old 06-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
(female)

stressed17 HB User

yea i am only 17 and i get this. i first had it not long after my cousin died 5 years ago, i can remember it clearly i couldnt speak properly i was speakin like a baby. at first the hospital told me i was havin mild strokes, i was astounded because i thought it was only old people that had strokes and i was only 12 at the time.since then i had an mri scan and other tests that came back that it was JUST migraines. dont know y they sed just though because migraines are horrible i hate them they have ruined my life for a while but now i am finally at nearly 18 trying 2 get my life back.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi all,

I just popped in here out of curiosity to see if anyone's had auras without ever getting the headaches? But I see some of you have. In my early 20's I started getting these weird visual problems out of the blue. Sometimes it's just a bunch of bright lights, or zig zags, sometimes seems like a mirage or as if you're looking under water; but it wasnt until I lost almost all of my sight (got all these symptoms plus all my vision to the sides, up, and down started going black, until I could only see a small amount directly in front of me).

I went to an eye doctor, they tested my vision and found all to be normal but suggested I go see a neuro -something or other. I couldnt afford it, so never went but over the course of 17 years now i get this on and off.

A few times, though I couldnt really place myself as to where I was & felt like I couldnt talk right. But it would always go away. And these events never seem to correlate with anything. At this point in life, I finally have insurance so I probably could get it checked out...but I figure since this is going on so long & I usually seem fine afterwards, I never worry about it anymore. And i've been through the spiel where doctors tell me "I'm fine" so it's like I dont want to bother anymore. Ok, sorry...im done with my rambling <LOL>

Closed Thread