It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

Jakki416 HB User
Exclamation Headaches, Swollen Optic Nerves..

My cousin is a 30 year old female. Over the past two months she'd been going to see the doctor constantly because she was getting severe headaches in the back of her head. Each doctor she went to see could find nothing wrong, and usually sent her home with no information on what was wrong with her, and a few bottles of pain killers.

Finally about a week and a half ago, she awoke the find that her entire body was numb and she couldn't move. She could barely move her lips to speak.

She was taken to the emergency, where once again they found nothing wrong, despite the fact that she couldn't move, and she STILL had a headache. They decided that they would send her home with painkillers and no answers once more, despite her paralysis (which turned out to be temporary), but our family objected, not wanting her to go home and to get worse.

So that evening, when visiting hours were over, and our family left the hospital the staff at the hospital decided that she was making up the entire ordeal, and took it upon themselves to lock her in the psych ward, stating that she was depressed and a danger to herself. Can you tell me ANYONE who is going to walk around bouncing off the walls, having a good time, while experiencing a several severe symptoms that people in the medical profession can't explain?

Needless to say, we had her discharged early that morning, to the protests of the staff. (Isn't it funny that they wanted to keep her when they thought she was crazy, but were ready to discharge her despite the fact that she was obviously VERY ill?)

Anyway, she went to another doctor today, who told her that her optic nerves were swollen, and he too can't find the reason for any of her symptoms.

My question is, does anyone know of someone who's experienced these types of symptoms? Sever migraines located at the back of the head, temporary numbness of the entire body, and swollen optic nerves? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to ask the doctor to test for? ANY kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

~Jakki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
(female)

rachel4123 HB User
Re: Headaches, Swollen Optic Nerves..

has she ever had a MRI of the brain? There could be a number of issues here. Or it could be just migraine disorder. An MRI is the best.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
(female)

lauralu2000 HB User

Swollen optic nerves is a classic symptom of an illness called psuedotumer ceribri or another name for it is benign intracranial hypertension.(of coarse it could be something else...but swollen optic nerves is a deffinate sign of this illness) If your friend has this the drs will first need to do an mri to rule out a brain tumor. If that comes back clear than they dxs this illness by doing a spinal tap. Your friends spinal fluid would be elevated over 200 or 20 depending how the Neuro reads the number. Both numbers mean the same thing. this is a rare condition and alot of drs do not know alot about it. Please please have your friend checked by a Neuro and ask about this. You can google benign intracranial hypertention or psuedotumer cerebri and get info that way as well to take to your friends drs. Many many people are misdiagnosed with migrains as well faking it ect. when in fact they are suffering terribly before someone actually takes them serious. You can lose your eyesight as well. If your friend has this and her/his optic nerves are swollen for a long period of time the eyesght can be lost. I hope you get answers soon. Your friends story, unfortunately is not uncommon because so little is known about this illness and alot of drs do not know how to treat it. Good Luck to you and post back and let us know how your friend is.......

Old 06-27-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

stressed17 HB User
Unhappy Re: Headaches, Swollen Optic Nerves..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakki416
My cousin is a 30 year old female. Over the past two months she'd been going to see the doctor constantly because she was getting severe headaches in the back of her head. Each doctor she went to see could find nothing wrong, and usually sent her home with no information on what was wrong with her, and a few bottles of pain killers.

Finally about a week and a half ago, she awoke the find that her entire body was numb and she couldn't move. She could barely move her lips to speak.

She was taken to the emergency, where once again they found nothing wrong, despite the fact that she couldn't move, and she STILL had a headache. They decided that they would send her home with painkillers and no answers once more, despite her paralysis (which turned out to be temporary), but our family objected, not wanting her to go home and to get worse.

So that evening, when visiting hours were over, and our family left the hospital the staff at the hospital decided that she was making up the entire ordeal, and took it upon themselves to lock her in the psych ward, stating that she was depressed and a danger to herself. Can you tell me ANYONE who is going to walk around bouncing off the walls, having a good time, while experiencing a several severe symptoms that people in the medical profession can't explain?

Needless to say, we had her discharged early that morning, to the protests of the staff. (Isn't it funny that they wanted to keep her when they thought she was crazy, but were ready to discharge her despite the fact that she was obviously VERY ill?)

Anyway, she went to another doctor today, who told her that her optic nerves were swollen, and he too can't find the reason for any of her symptoms.

My question is, does anyone know of someone who's experienced these types of symptoms? Sever migraines located at the back of the head, temporary numbness of the entire body, and swollen optic nerves? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to ask the doctor to test for? ANY kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

~Jakki

im 17 from west midlands
my mom has today been 2 the eye infermary they have told her she has got this swollen optical nerves. we are all now very worried because from internet research there are sum pretty horrible reasons for this. she has got 2 have a brain scan in 2 weeks. i just hope it isnt a brain tumour. plz right back and give me your opinions it would be much appreciated! thanks sarah xxx

Old 06-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
(female)

lauralu2000 HB User

Stressed17. Please read my post right above yours. Your mother could have psuedotumor cerebri as well. The deffinition of the word psuedo is false. So psuedotumor actually means false tumor. There is no tumor in ones brain. However the symtpoms present themselves as if there is one. MRI"s have to be done to rule out an actual brain tumor. Swelling of the optic nerves is also a sign of a possible brian tumor. It is also a classic symptom of psuedotumor Cerebri. If after they do the tests and if they find no tumor than usually an LP is performed and if the spinal fluid is elevated than a dx's of psuedotumor is given. This illness is a dx's through exclusion of other possiblities.

Keep us posted how your mother is doing. I hope she does not have a brian tumor or anything life threatening. I can only immagine how frightened you must feel. Hang in there and good luck to you and your family

ALso another message to the original poster of this thread. There are stories from people online who have gone through exactly what your cousin is going through and were not taken seriuosly by the medical profession. Finally finding a dr who took them seriously and pushed farther and did an LP and found very elevated spinal fluid level and dx'd psuedotumor cerebri. Please I hope you have did an internet search on this illness. There are online support groups as well where you can find a ton of info on this illness to show to a dr and see if htis is what your cousin is suffering from. You can also get info from the Intracranial hypertension research foundation. I have read very similar stories to your cousins online after my daughter was dx'd with this. It is very rare and there are alot of the medical profession that go their entire careres and never see a case of it.

Please post back on how your cousin is doing. I just would hate to know someone esle out there is suffering with this illness because of stubborn uncaring medical professionals who are failing to help her.

Closed Thread