It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
(female)

Mvhrt HB User
Question Ocular migraines?

Anybody else get them?

Old 08-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User
Re: Ocular migraines?

hi ......I have had a few of these before when i was under a lot of stress working and being older and finishing up law school.
I did not know what actually they were until my eye doc explained that the symptoms were that of a an ocular migrane. There is no headache....i just saw a jagged line that started on one side of my field of vision and it would slowly cross the entire field and then it was gone. Took around 20 minutes for it to go....that is an ocular migrane....Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2006, 12:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

hi ......I have had a few of these before when i was under a lot of stress working and being older and finishing up law school.
I did not know what actually they were until my eye doc explained that the symptoms were that of a an ocular migrane. There is no headache....i just saw a jagged line that started on one side of my field of vision and it would slowly cross the entire field and then it was gone. Took around 20 minutes for it to go....that is an ocular migrane....Karen

Old 08-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
(female)

Mvhrt HB User

I have been getting them since i have been pregnant... and they really really freak me out! And then I jump online and scare myself more by reading the worst outcome of what they are.... so this is why i was asking so i could find others who relate to the situation. I don't get the headaches either i just have the visuals and they last for about 20 minutes for me as well. The first time it happened I thought for sure I was having a seizure or a stroke. I tend to panic so it's very hard not to when i'm half blind so i'm doing everything in my power to understand these things so that the next time it happens i won't worry as much. Thanks for your response!

Old 08-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
(female)

Sun Flower HB User

Well your not alone. I have been suffering from from migranes for about 8 years already. But, my first one's were assoiciated with headache. Now I only get the visual disturbance (bright zig zag like lines) with no headache at all or maybe just a slight unilateral headache. I too would freak out when these first started happening to me, but I kind of got use to them and managed to live with it.

Sun Flower

Old 08-18-2006, 11:49 AM   #6
(female)

Leanne R HB User

Hi Guys,
I have recently had occular migraines (I have had CFS for 12 years but it was a new symptom) they absolutely freaked me out...I had no pain either. The symptoms are like I can feel it coming on a second or 2 before it happens It creeps over my eyes all these lines (like I am looking through a mesh or something) it gets more and more sever until I can see nothing except tiny parts of the picture.

I realised mine is due to blood pressure (mine is way too low) but now I have been given a steroid to raise it. (I don't think that you can have steroids when you are pregnant) but I am sure that it is messing with your blood pressure causing your symptoms. I found putting my head between my legs (obviously sitting down) helped as it made the blood rush to my head.

I hope this helps

Leanne

Last edited by Leanne R; 08-18-2006 at 11:57 AM.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
(female)

Mvhrt HB User

Well it's definetly good to know that there are other people out there who share this experiance and that the whole freaking out thing is basically inevitable! The last time it happened to me which was 2 days ago i was able to say- oh i know what this is and it will work it's way out in about 20 minutes and i was ok. I can relate to the whole- not being able to see during it.... it starts out in the middle of my eye and then moves it's way out towards the edge of my eye but when it gets almost to the edge... i feel like i'm losing my vision and can only see pieces of whats surrounding me.
Thank you all!

Old 08-18-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

I have suffered from migraines for 18 years now. After I had my second child I started getting ocular migraines-that was about 5 years ago. I still get the migraine w/headache and aura but I mainly suffer from the ocular migraine w/no headache afterwards. Mine is like looking through a caleidescope. Alot of times they make me feel dizzy too. I sometimes get other migraine symptoms such as numbness in my gums, tongue and teeth or dizzy spells. They are scary and I hate dealing with them. I was wondering if a preventative would work for these types of migraines?? I get them alot and wish I could lessen the amount of times I get them.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
(female)

Sun Flower HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne R
Hi Guys,
I have recently had occular migraines (I have had CFS for 12 years but it was a new symptom) they absolutely freaked me out...I had no pain either. The symptoms are like I can feel it coming on a second or 2 before it happens It creeps over my eyes all these lines (like I am looking through a mesh or something) it gets more and more sever until I can see nothing except tiny parts of the picture.

I realised mine is due to blood pressure (mine is way too low) but now I have been given a steroid to raise it. (I don't think that you can have steroids when you are pregnant) but I am sure that it is messing with your blood pressure causing your symptoms. I found putting my head between my legs (obviously sitting down) helped as it made the blood rush to my head.

I hope this helps

Leanne

There are vision disturbances caused from high or low blood pressure, but I have heard (don't know if it is actually true) that the vision disturbance isn't the same. But, anyway not all people who suffer from ocular migranes necessarily have high blood pressure. I have had them for about 8 years and my blood pressure has always been normal.

Sun Flower

Old 08-18-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
(female)

Mvhrt HB User

I would like to know if anyone has tried any preventitive measures that have worked? I have heard that Omega-3's help... i took them for four months and actually didn't have any bouts with ocular migraines.. I quit taking them 2 weeks ago and had an ocular migraine a couple of days ago... it's hard to say if they were preventing them or not since they are so sparatic. Any input?

Old 08-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #11
(female)

lexybrock HB User

Ok this is a new term to me. But I do have dancing lights followed by about 1 minute of blindness. Is this ocular migraines. I usually have this before or after migraines pain. Please help me figure this out.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:48 PM   #12
(female)

Mvhrt HB User

Hi, I think that what you are getting is arua's which can be part of migraine headaches. Do the dancing lights last 20 minutes or longer? When I have ocular migraines I don't usually get headaches just the visuals but i have heard sometimes they can be followed by a slight headaches.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:33 AM   #13
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

Yep, sounds like aura's to me, I get both-the aura with headaches and just the ocular migraines and both of the aura's are different and I can if I will just have an ocular migraine or an aura with a headache afterwards. Dancing lights, zig zags and spotted or scotoma vision are common with thw aura's that come with a headache. An ocular migraine is without a headache.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #14
(female)

juanta HB User

I can't understand why so many people have to put up with these occular headaches and that there doesn't seem to be a cure by now. First my mother had them most of her life and now I have them and they seem to be getting more frequent. I was given Toprol XL but it spaced me out most of the day while the ocular migraine, just the aura lasts me only ten minutes. As scary as it is, I would rather have the aura. Juanta.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:54 AM   #15
(female)

lexybrock HB User

Ok my doctor has just prescribed high blood pressure pills to keep the blood vessels from spasming behind the eyes to eliminate ocular migraines or auras. Ive been on it 2 weeks without another episode but thats not unusual considering i only have had 5 spells in the last year. I will keep you posted.

Closed Thread