It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #1

joepchs HB User
Pinching Head Pain

Hey everyone, first comment! OK, let me start. Hopefully someone can give me a little peace of mind. I am a college student who about 2 months ago lifted a heavy heavy chest with my arms spread and pulled out a lot of muscles in my neck and shoulder.

For about a two weeks my shoulder hurt and I could barely move my left arm. Then the pain traveled into knots in my back and then up my neck. But the worst part, for about a month and a half I have been getting constant pinching and stabbing pain on the top of my head.

It travels from the front top to the back top. I am thinking it is muscular because it feels like nerve pain. I am quite the hypochondiac and have been VERY stressed over this pain since it is on my head and almost feels like it is itching constantly and very sharp stabbing.

I went to the doctor and he gave me muscle relaxers, they don't seem to help except make me a little more tired. Although, it is only my third day taking them, so I should give them more of a chance. I cannot concentrate in school and have been feeling very anxious about this that it is something worse.

I feels a little better right when I wake up, but then the pain comes back again 24/7. It hurts more when I think about it and get stressed over it. So I would like to hear everyones input on this. I am not sure if this is cronic tension headaches from my pull or something worse. I am interested in everyone's input. I am pretty sure it is not a migrane, since I am not sensative to light and it feels like more pinching nerve than pounding. I am constantly upset about this and afraid it will never go away. Please Help!! Thanks so much everyone!

Last edited by joepchs; 09-17-2006 at 05:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 06:37 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User
Re: Pinching Head Pain

Hi, Sounds like you really messed up a lot of muscles in your head and neck According to my dr, muscle relaxers aren't a med that builds up in your body. They are kind of a take as needed med. They may be working more than you think. Until I injured my neck, I had no idea how many muscles a person actually has on your head alone. The muscle pain I experiance causes all kinds of weird sensations on my head. If you can, I would try some physical therapy or at least get someone to rub or massage your muscles--and that includes the ones on your head. Stretching excersises help a lot too. I use a lot of heat and ice also.

When you saw your dr did he do any x-rays? It's possible you have a bulging or herniated disc. Try not to stress about it--that doesn't help

Old 09-18-2006, 08:05 AM   #3

joepchs HB User

Yeah, I really think I did mess up my body. At the time I didn't realize how heavy it was unfortunately. I am just very nervous since I never had something take this long to recover. It has been about 2 months constantly, and nothing seems to help at all (message, heat/cold), but I guess it could take a lot longer than that. He did not take x-rays but if this continues I might go back this week. I stress way too much about this and can't make it better. Thanks for your response. I will post an outcome hopefully soon.
Joe

Old 09-18-2006, 11:05 PM   #4

joepchs HB User

The pain today is excruciating like all the time everyday. I went to the doctor and told me to stay on the naporson and skelaton for my head pain. I get so nervous, and feel worse when I read these forms and people have these conditions for YEARS . From this I am getting so anxious I lost 10 pounds in a week, I don't want to eat or sleep.

I have been perfectly fine before I hurt my neck. Has this been the case for most of the people that get headaches so long? Please tell me some things that have been helping. I feel like I am going crazy, I am in constant panic attacks and no one can sympathize for this killing type of pain. Will this ever go away?

The only thing that helps for me is when I wake up in the morning for about 30 minutes the pain subsides. What the heck does this mean?

As to quote wooowwee "I am usually a glass half-full person, and lately, I don't feel like being that way, although the alternative goes against my true personality. I just want to be CURED and enjoy doing even the simple things again."

I cannot let this hurt me physically/mentally anymore. Please help.

Joe

Last edited by joepchs; 09-18-2006 at 11:17 PM.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:14 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Joe, I have been given tons of meds since my neck injury and so far the two best things besides the topamax that have worked for me were the naproxen and skelaxin. Please try to eat and sleep, your body needs these things to heal up. I know it's hard, but you need these things.

I'm the same way, I'm good for just a bit in the AM, then things go to crap on me...I try to beat the pain by taking my meds before the pain starts. That helps a lot. What kind of pillows are you sleeping on? I used to sleep on two, now I sleep on one. See if you can find some "triggers" that might be starting your pain.

As for reading about other's problem's on the board--we're not always hearing about the ones who did get healed up or started feeling better. It does happen Injuries can take a while to heal...,but I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
(female)

mumof3fairies HB User

It is weird that you are mentioning that because I have had that pain but that particular pain only lasts a few seconds. It runs up from behind my left ears up to the top of the left side/back of my head. I also get this crawling feeling on my scalp and wonder if both of these are due to my bulging discs in my neck. Do any of you guys have any ideas for me?
TIA.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:41 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

TIA--I have had that same thing happen also--I've always thought of that crawling sensation to be my muscles tightning up on me. It's a very strange and awful feeling. I also have TMJ, and that contributes to some of my pain around my ears. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's causing my pain: the TMJ or the bulging discs. Your bulges could be pressing on nerves too. Something you may want to discuss with your dr

Old 09-20-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
(female)

mumof3fairies HB User

Hey Bluesteam,

I forgot to mention that I know I clench my jaw. I almost positive that I don't grind, my husband said that he never hears me do that but I know that I clench in the day and night. I have used a retainer type thing mad by my friends hubby and that didn't seem to help although I probably didn't give it a fair go. I know I can feel my muscles tighten in my face at times and I can occasionally get tingling in the tip of my nose. I am sure that all of my neck problems etc can be a cause but I don't know what to do about it.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #9
(female)

mumof3fairies HB User

Sorry I pressed the wrong button here.

Last edited by mumof3fairies; 09-20-2006 at 02:12 PM.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #10

joepchs HB User

I went to the dentist, I am negative for TMJ. I went to the doctor and got a Cat Scan and everything tested negative. I am really happy about this. By hearing this I feel better, and feel that I am on the road to recovery. I personally think since I strained my neck, I got so nervous and tense that it made it worse. Not thinking about it and keeping my mind of it (I know it is hard) but really helps. Thanks everyone.
Joe

Closed Thread