It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
(female)

nin5677 HB User
Topamax - side effects

Hi guys

Have just started Topamax (25mg per night) for chronic daily headache & migraine.

I am on day 5 and feel like death warmed up !!!! The main problem is that I can't sleep for more than 4-5 hours then I wake up then can't get back to sleep again. This in turn makes me feel so awful the next day.

Is this common and will this go away once I get used to the drug?

Cheers everyone

Old 09-19-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
(female)

trickey280 HB User
Re: Topamax - side effects

Whoa, I have been on Topamax for 2 months and have the same thing I wake up in the middle of the night and I am up from 3 am until the next night. Never thought it was the topamax. I started taking melatonin. a natrual sleep aid works great I don't feel groggy. I just started taking it last week when I bought my am pm pill box. I would talk to your doctor about the melatonin, I didn't but I don't want you to take it and get sick then I would feel like crap.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 05:45 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Are you going to be titrating up another dose? I didn't sleep too well either until I hit about 75mg's. Then, look out, I slept like a baby!

Old 09-21-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User

please keep posting your progress. Im having migraine struggles and for now only percocets and valium help... and even then, not totally.... AND of course, I can only take that at night. I can take fioracet (whihc ever doesnt have the codine in it) during the day... but not at night...
my docotr and I are maybe thinking of a good daily med... maybe topamax....maybe a beta blocker...
any other info on topamax? good and bad?
thanks!

Old 10-03-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
(female)

nin5677 HB User

Hi Guys - me again

Well it's me a week or so and so I thought I would update you all on my progress....

Am now up to 50mg a night - been on the for 4 nights now and have not slept for more than 3 hours a night since then.........going round the bend....

Have asked neuro for help as I can't do this for much longer....

am pain free though

Old 10-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

I'm sorry you're still not sleeping....it did happen for me, it just took a bit. When I went up to 50mg's the doc had me take 25mg's in the AM and 25mg's in the PM. It worked well for me, but I got a little sleepy during the day. Have you had any mood changes?

Keep in touch and I hope you start getting some sleep!!

Old 10-03-2006, 08:18 AM   #7
(female)

nin5677 HB User

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I feel emotionally flat if you know what I mean - but then when things get bad (alone at 2am, husband and cat snoring beside me !!!!) I could cry buckets.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi all,
here's what i read about topamax (i'm on it too by the way; i take 50 mg twice a day, and it has worked wonders in terms of decreasing the frequency of my migraines!!!)...fortunately, i haven't had any serious or even mild side effects so far (that i can even speak of or feel)...

anyway, here it is:

"When Indicated for Migraine:"
Since this is a relatively new way to use some of the newer neuronal stabilizers (anticonvulsants) such as Topamax® (topiramate) (As well as others like Neurotin® (gabapentin), Lamictal® (lamotrigine) and Gabatril® (tiagabine)) prophylactically for Migraine disease, the dosage will be directed by your physican.

**The best results were achieved at a dosage of 100 or 200 milligrams of topiramate per day

**"The key to success with Topamax is a very slow titration up to the therapeutic dose. Patients should begin taking only 15 mg, once a day, and taper up slowly from there, being sure to take it in a split dose."
The effective dosages are lower than you might think. Many patients achieve good results at only 50 mg per day."

**Possible Side Effects:

Some side effects, such as fatigue, are more likely to surface with high doses of Topamax®. Others occur regardless of dosage. While many tend to disappear after the first 8 weeks of therapy, it's still important to report them to your doctor. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Topamax®.

More common side effects may include:

Abdominal pain, abnormal coordination, abnormal vision, agitation, anxiety, appetite loss, back pain, breast pain, chest pain, confusion, constipation, depression, difficulty with concentration, difficulty with memory, dizziness, double vision, drowsiness, fatigue, flu-like symptoms, indigestion, involuntary eye movement, language problems, leg pain, loss of coordination, menstrual problems, mood problems, nausea, nervousness, rash, sinusitis, slowing of movements, sore throat, speech problems, tingling or burning sensations, tremors, upper respiratory infection, weakness, weight loss.

Less common side effects may include:

Abnormal gait, abnormal menstrual bleeding, acne, aggressiveness, apathy, bladder infection, changes in taste, bloody urine, body odor, bronchitis, cough, decreased awareness, decreased mobility, decreased sensitivity, diarrhea, digestive inflammation, dry mouth, exaggerated sense of well being, eye pain, feelings of illness, feelings of unreality, fever, fluid retention, frequent urination, gas, gum inflammation, hair loss, hallucinations, headache, hearing difficulties, heart palpitations, hot flushes, hyperactivity, impotence, increased sweating, irritable bladder, joint pain, kidney stones, loss of balance, loss of consciousness, low sex drive, mood swings, muscle ache, muscle tension, muscle weakness, nosebleeds, painful or difficult urination, personality problems, pinkeye, ringing in the ears, sensitivity to touch, severe itching, shivers, shortness of breath, sleeplessness, suicidal tendencies, swelling, vaginal infection, vomiting, weight gain,

Topamax® has also been known to cause a number of very rare side effects (typically striking less than one person in a hundred). If you develop any unfamiliar problems while taking Topamax®, report them to your doctor.

Hope this helps a little...i know it's pretty long...sorry about that...but the more informed we are, the better we can advocate for ourselves!!!

Good luck and have a blessed day!

Closed Thread