It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User
topamax 50mg - very tired

anyone else feel really tired when going up? this hopefuly will be my highest dose. i took 25 for about a week and a half and now am on day 3 of 50. I get very tired... and its hard to wake up. i only get forgetful (like i was warned) when im tired.
im trying to drink a lot of water, although im not a big water drinker. otherwise, i think it might be working. i also suffer from anxiety and it seems to be helping in that area.
anyhow - how long did your tired effects last?

Old 11-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
Re: topamax 50mg - very tired

Guuuuuurl, I sleep like a newborn baby & loving every minute of it.
Been on Topamax now for 4 years!!!! The last two years at 50mgs.

"Sleep" is the best thing for migraines it appears. Reason why I always recommend taking power naps whenever possible. Really can't help it when taking Topamax.

This keeps up I might wake up in the 22nd century migraine free!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User

ha! you're funny!
dont get me wrong... ive always been a bad sleeper and now I am sleeping great. my boyfriend said i even was snoring the past two nights ! uh oh!!!
its just during the day i get a bit sleepy and then that makes me forgetful. so im hoping that goes away.
i have a migraine today... not awful, but i took my percs to try and keep it from getting bad. so we shall see. i really hope the topamax works since i dont know what else i really can try.
did it help curb your appetite? I could sure use to lose abotu 15 pounds! but Im not noticing any real appetite supression... that would be a nice thing!

Also - (and I will call my doctor about this too) I read it can interfere with birth control pills... but the study was on high doses of topamax. my doctor knows Im taking b.c. and topamax... i can only think that he didnt say anyhting cause 50 mg isnt enough to cause an impact...
any thoughts? (again, Im gonna call him tomrrow and see if Im right)
thanks for the response!! nice to read soem good results with this med.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
did it help curb your appetite? I could sure use to lose abotu 15 pounds! but Im not noticing any real appetite supression... that would be a nice thing!
Sure did. I lost a total of 35lbs. Another side benefit with the Topamax weight loss was muscle toneness. So what I did was I started jumping rope & taking long walks every day to keep the muscle toneness since I am not into excercising.
Now I am a 56 year old sexy "NaNa", kicked my "old" significant other to the curb, got a younger version & got myself a diamond belly ring on my 53rd birthday! Told my daughter, I just might get my nipples pierced on my 60th birthday if Topamax get them perkier w/o surgery. Maybe I'll settle for a tattoo or two.

To keep up with my weight, I eat a lot of "junk" food with my Neurologist & regular doctors blessing. I now weigh between 115lbs-120lbs. I am 5'6.

Not sure about Topamax & bc since it mostly messes with the "brain".

I am not going to fool ya, I also suffer from most of the other awful side effects of Topamax but, I am willing to put up with them because my migraines have reduced drasticly in the 4 years I have been on the drug.
In the 4 years of taking Topamax, I have been on various dosages until I found the right one that I can tolorate the side effects AND still be effective.
Topamax has worked very well for me. I hope it does for you also.

Good Luck to ya.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wow! good for YOU! sexy mama!!!
Im 32... 5' 6" but like 160. not a weight my body normally likes to be at... but hey... some years are chunky years!
if the med could help me lose a little, id sure be thrilled. at this point, it will probably be just cause i forgot to eat! lol
unfortunatley, at this point, i've had a migraine for 2 days... I really hope that it's just too early to tell with the topamax. i dont know what else to try if this doesn't work! it was kind of my last hope so I wouldn't have to rely solely on percocets.
I feel a bit better now,. but its only after a bunch of percs... too bad... it wold have been nice to have had a friday night instead of rushing home to take meds and get into bed...
my fioranol, which I took during the day did nothing for me today but make me feel worse.

anyhow, that is a good report to read, it gives me hope and I will be patient and stick with the med for a bit lojnger to see if ti will work for me too..... thanks so much for sharing. you sound like a very cool chick! good luck to you too!

Old 11-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
unfortunatley, at this point, i've had a migraine for 2 days... I really hope that it's just too early to tell with the topamax.
Topamax does not stop migraines. It lessens the frequencies of them. Depending on your body structure, it takes approximately a month for the med to kick in.
You must take other meds to stop the migraines in its tracks when you do get them. It's best to take the meds right at the onset of the migraine.

Ask your doctor about Zomig Nasal Spray-5mgs. The spray works much faster than the pills. For me, 5-10 minutes as soon as Mr Migraines starts knocking.
Zomig also comes in oral tabs. You do not need water. Oral tabs dissolve right on the tongue & its very sweet tasting.

Also ask your doctor about Imitrex.

I am on a Migraine Management Program which helps controls my migraines.
Topamax-50mgs (daily)
Vit B2-400mgs (daily)
Baby Asprin-80mgs (daily)
Zomig Nasal Spray-5mgs (as needed)
Power Nap-2-3 hours every day
Bryers Vanilla Ice-as needed

Old 11-04-2006, 11:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

what's zomig? if its like immitrex, it wont work... none of those work for me. i tried a bunch of those types... that's why i take percocets, its the only thing that will take it away. anyhow - im sticking with the big T for now!
the tingling in my hands and feet is a weird side effect too. creepy!
i feel better today... but tonight i feel one coming (maybe) so im back on the other pills too. just in case. i cant lose my sunday to a migraine.
thanks for the clarification.. i thought maybe the topamax would just make them go away. but even less is fine.
you know what works for me sometimes, this is weird... if i have a migraine but dont have an upset stomach (plus, I cant really take some meds on an empty stomach) a pizza... usually a good cheap one like dominos... with meat toppings. I dont know if its all the preservatives or what... but that can really help me out some nights. i have another friend who said it has helped her too. if you arent a vegetarian, try it sometime!

Old 11-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
(female)

BookwormQberry HB User

Wendy - I'm 28 and have been taking Topamax for 2 1/2 years now, started at 50mgs for 2 months, then to 100mgs for a year and a half, then to 200mgs for the rest. I had all the bad side effects but it did seem to help with the miagraines when nothing else had, so I stuck with it. I'm 5'6'' and was only 110lbs when I started the meds but only lost 5lbs +/- over all this time. When the 200mgs quit helping I ask my neuro what we need to try now and my options were to go to 400mgs or to add a different med and reduce the Topamax to 100mgs. He told me that at 400mgs the Topamax would counteract birth control and I couldn't handle any more stupidity than what I already was having so I chose to try Lyrica with the Topamax. It's been doing much better and I don't feel stupid, but I have been gaining weight (from 105 to 125 in 8 months). I also take Norco (10/325 hydrocodone) as needed for pain. I couldn't take any of the triptan drugs either, didn't phase me a bit.

As to the sleeping, I got to where if we drove to town (3 miles) to get supper I was asleep before we got there.

Good luck!

Old 11-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks for the input... always interested in hearing about peeps who cant take the immitrex drugs.
I'll make sure to talk to my doctor, but its reassuring for me to hear that at least your doctor mentioned that a higher dose would affect the bc...
good to hear that this med combo is working for you.. although im sorry you have the weight gain side effect. I guess its better than the stupid side effect! i was out last night with some friends and there were some very special forgetful moments.
good luck to you!

Old 11-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
what's zomig? if its like immitrex, it wont work
Zomig is a triptan drug just like Imitrex. Now, at first Zomig at 2.5mgs (pills) didn't work for me either. Took too long to work-45min-1hr to work. So I asked my Neuro to increase the mg dosage which she did.
A few months later, my Neuro recommended the "nasal spray" when I told her the higher dosage worked.
So, maybe you can try Imitrex again but, at a higher mg dosage or try Zomig.

I have heard some people do gain weight on Topamax. But, I think it depends on what other migraine drugs they are taking.

I only get nausiated when I get migrane *attacks*. So my Neuro prescribed Promethazine. Works like a charm.
I've used it when I go cruising as I get seasick. Works for that too!!!!
You may want to ask your doctor about it.
Prior to that I was eating Saltines like crazy. Reminded me when I had morning sickness like yesterday when actually it was 33 years ago!!!

Old 11-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

i take prochobenzaprine or something like that (wow, what a butchering of spelling!) for the upset tummy i can get with the headaches... but it doesnt always happen.
so amazing how many different types of headaches there are and how complex it all is...
my boyfriend gets migraines something terrible... between both of our headaches, if we ever have children, they are going to be in big trouble!

Closed Thread