It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 08:20 AM   #1
(female)

mandy. HB User
Post migraines for 16yrs getting worse :(

HI,
I've been a migraine sufferer for 16 years now since i was 15
its taking over my life at first I used to get only 2-3 a week but for the past 18 months - 2 years its been a nightmare, i'm lucky if i get a day off, sometimes i get them where they are continuous for four days constant it starts with a heavy sensation over the top of my right eye then as the day goes on it moves down my face covering the vision from my r/eye. I cant move normally I have to move around in slow motion or else I get like a lightening strike straight through to my brain. it hurts ouch. then i'm literally sick and lights and noise are a no no.
its like a storm inside my head .I'm seeing a nuerologist who although i've had them for 16yrs hasn't given me any test ct scan or nothing. she tried saying it was rebound headaches. yeah right! so to prove her wrong i've come off my medication and am just taking the topamax she's prescribed. (which isn't doing a thing at all) but if it was rebound headaches it would have stopped by now so I have to bear the pain and agony to prove a point so she might take me seriously and do some tests I've tried all types of medication but nothing works i'm at the end of my tether this cant be normal. mandy

Old 11-14-2006, 08:30 AM   #2
(male)

oldman21 HB User
Re: migraines for 16yrs getting worse :(

Mandy,
My wife had migraines and she cured them by going to both a chiropractor and a special type of doctor who practies "functional medicine". she still gets them but only like 3 times a year. The chiropractor was so good that he helps me too. I guess your neck and nerves get stuck and only and adjustment can fix it. the regular docs could not do anything. She also had to stop eating foods she's alergic to (like milk and wheat). I guess the main thing is to try many different things and test. You can find a better doctor at [url]www.functionalmedicine.org[/url] Good luck and don't give up, keep trying. Your body is like a car, you have to find the right mechanic and keep testing - their are no absolutes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
(female)

mandy. HB User
Thumbs up Re: migraines for 16yrs getting worse :(

HI i've tried all the obvious things like cutting out foods and changing diet, but to no success ive also tried accupuncture with no luck i'll look into the chiropractor though thanks for the advice mandy

Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
(female)

mandy. HB User

hi ive tried all the obvious things like cutting out foods like pasta wheat dairy products etc; but no luck ive also tried accupuncture and yoga as somebody told me this would help but no it didn't, I'll definately look into a chiropractor though its another option, thanks for the advice mandy

Old 11-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

CT Scans are probably not needed - doctors generaly do them in headache patients because they are expected, not needed.

Try taking naproxen (3 Aleave) at the first sign of an attack.... this isnt associated with rebound, and should offer some relief.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:23 PM   #6
(female)

Wendiloy HB User

Mandy,
Oldman21 is right. I don't know too much about the chiropractic part of this, maybe that can be of some help, too, but his wife's doctor also did something else, that we did with my daughter. The food thing. And rebound headaches are a part of of it. My daughter has been suffering from migraines for a long time. She started with them when she was 10 or 12. They weren't too bad, then. But then they got worse. She has been suffering with them for about 5 or 6 years, of a more severe degree. Ultimately, they have occurred about 5 times per week. She has been to neurologists, and on really nasty medicines. (Of course, anyone suffering from headaches SHOULD see a doctor - you would not want to overlook something important).
I had wondered about mercury from almagam fillings, allergies, and also Candida. Last year I had her use a product from the health food store (but regular stores carry them, too.) It was a "whole body cleanse". This particular product helps to cleanse the body of lots of stuff, including candida[/I] and metals. (She insisted on wearing lots of jewelry for awhile). The long-and-the short-of-it is that when she used this product, and then went on a very specific healing diet - her headaches went away. (But only until she ditched the diet - then they recurred.) That period of time was the longest she had gone without a headache (without using Excedrine) since she had been much younger. She is now on the treatment, again.
(The point about rebound headaches is repeated by doctors, naturpaths, and lots of others, too. Unfortunately, constant use of pain remedies and caffeine make the problem worse, ultimately.)
In order to get more information about this topic, just look on the internet under the following topic searches: candida headache; leaky gut; leaky gut headache, or simply candida. You may be surprised at what you find. A SPECIAL NOTE: MY MOTHER ALSO SUFFERS FROM MIGRAINES - SHE FOUND THAT SHE WAS SUFFERING FROM HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, AND WHEN SHE WAS PUT ON MEDICATION FOR THAT, THE HEADACHES SUBSIDED. She still gets the auras, though, and I suspect that she has the same underlying cause, as my daughter.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:52 AM   #7
(female)

mandy. HB User

Thanks for the info Wendiloy I'll look into that I am open to anything that will help cheers Mandy

Old 11-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #8
(female)

TexanLady HB User
Lightbulb Re: migraines for 16yrs getting worse :(

I think the issue with headaches is deeper than most of us want to dive into - on the doctor side, and the patient side. I have had migraines since I was a teen (I'm 45 now) and my son has them (he's 12). I've been to doctors, chiropractors, neurologists; had cat scans and MRIs; I've been on every headache, anti-depression and anti-seizure medication currently on the market - as well as pain medication, and I'm currently taking Topamax. I've been through a very intense headache study with one of today's leading doctor's of migraine technologies in Houston, Texas.

I truly believe that we have not learned enough about what causes headaches and that the causes are very different in each of us. We each have to be very proactive in our treatments, and we have to work with our doctors AND our diets to effectively treat them. I also think they are hereditary. My mother never has headaches but my father does. I have them, but my siblings very seldom do. I also think I carry a lot more stress than most of my other siblings and I don't handle the stress as well, another factor that probably causes tension.

What do you think?

Last edited by TexanLady; 11-17-2006 at 08:50 AM.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:11 AM   #9
(female)

mandy. HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanLady
I think the issue with headaches is deeper than most of us want to dive into - on the doctor side, and the patient side. I have had migraines since I was a teen (I'm 45 now) and my son has them (he's 12). I've been to doctors, chiropractors, neurologists; had cat scans and MRIs; I've been on every headache, anti-depression and anti-seizure medication currently on the market - as well as pain medication, and I'm currently taking Topamax. I've been through a very intense headache study with one of today's leading doctor's of migraine technologies in Houston, Texas.

I truly believe that we have not learned enough about what causes headaches and that the causes are very different in each of us. We each have to be very proactive in our treatments, and we have to work with our doctors AND our diets to effectively treat them. I also think they are hereditary. My mother never has headaches but my father does. I have them, but my siblings very seldom do. I also think I carry a lot more stress than most of my other siblings and I don't handle the stress as well, another factor that probably causes tension.

What do you think?
yes im with you on that one I think they have got worse due to stress I am on topamax too but they dont seem to be working there lokking into upping my dose so hopefully they will wopk better then thanks for the post mandy

Closed Thread