It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

LLiv HB User
Unhappy excedrin and rebound headaches

I have suffered from migraine headaches for over 12 years. I have tried many prescription meds for prevention and to rid the migraine. Herein lies the problem. Excedrin seems to work best for me but I believe I have rebound headaches from this medication. I have daily headaches and take 2-3 excedrin a day. I was just wondering if anyone has had to be weaned off of excedrin and what methods were used? How long did it take?

Old 01-12-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
Re: excedrin and rebound headaches

The length of "weaning" time depends on how long you were taking Excedrin for your headaches and/or migraines.

For me, the weaning time was 2 1/2 months under my doctors care. She had me substitute Aleve for the Excedrins.
It gets worse before it gets better.
I was eating Excedrins like candy for 6 years. Excedrins were my lover!

Headache free for 4 1/2 years now.

PS: I am currently on a successful Migraine Management Program.

If you are suffering from migraines, hopefully you are seeing a Neurologist that specializes in headaches/migraines.

Last edited by Mz Migraine; 01-12-2007 at 06:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
(female)

LLiv HB User

I too have been taking the Excedrin for about 6 1/2 yrs. Did you have to be hospitalized or off work for any length of time? What else besides Aleve did they give you for breakthrough pain? What dosage of Aleve did they substitute? And yes I am currently seeing a neurologist.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLiv
I too have been taking the Excedrin for about 6 1/2 yrs. Did you have to be hospitalized or off work for any length of time? What else besides Aleve did they give you for breakthrough pain? What dosage of Aleve did they substitute? And yes I am currently seeing a neurologist.
I was never hospitalized however, there were times I had to take many days off from work due to my migraines.

The Aleve were "over the counter". I didn't know it came in dosages. I purchased the largest bottles CVS sold-300 capsules.
The Neurologist started me out on 2 a day & then weaned me down to only one a day.

After the weaning process then my Neurologist put me on the Migraine Management Programe.

Topamax - 50mgs daily
Baby Asprin - 81mgs daily (because I am a smoker)
Vit B2 - 400mgs daily
Zomig Nasal Spray - 5mgs as needed
Breyers Vanilla Ice Cream - as needed
Old fashion ice bag - as needed
Daily Naps - 2-3 hours

Because I am on Topamax I have to take a blood test every 4 months from my local v@mpires.

I had to take an early retirement and I am also currently on Social Security Disability because of my migraines.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

The only way to wean your self off is to S T O P

To ease the withdrawl symptoms, you could try taking Aleave, two tabs twice a day (naproxen hasnt been related to rebound headaches, or to withdrawl) for a few weeks.

Closed Thread