It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Want2feelgood HB User
Well... Ocular Migraine?

I think I am having Ocular Migraines.... What do you think?
I get the shimmering wavy lights in the outer vision, then eventually it moves over my entire sight. The 1st one I had was bout a year ago, and that one was without any headache at all. Then I think I had another one yesterday
(1-26-07) except after the "visual light show" I had a headache that I thought was trying to disable me.... I woke up this morning with a sort of dull like head ach, but for the most part I feel like a human again now (slight headache). Any way.... They both started with the same scenarios ... it was really bright out (Florida) and I have sinus pressure and clogged ears, and was under a certain level of stress (not to bad). Does all of this sound like a OM I was having and could the things that I mentioned be to cause?
Please let me know, and by the way... what are some of your triggers and is there anything that I should do for it?

Old 01-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Re: Well... Ocular Migraine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2feelgood View Post
I think I am having Ocular Migraines.... What do you think?
I get the shimmering wavy lights in the outer vision, then eventually it moves over my entire sight. The 1st one I had was bout a year ago, and that one was without any headache at all. Then I think I had another one yesterday
(1-26-07) except after the "visual light show" I had a headache that I thought was trying to disable me.... I woke up this morning with a sort of dull like head ach, but for the most part I feel like a human again now (slight headache). Any way.... They both started with the same scenarios ... it was really bright out (Florida) and I have sinus pressure and clogged ears, and was under a certain level of stress (not to bad). Does all of this sound like a OM I was having and could the things that I mentioned be to cause?
Please let me know, and by the way... what are some of your triggers and is there anything that I should do for it?

HI, I get this all the time. I have had migraines for almost 20 years but the ocular migraine started about a year ago. I did have a precautionary mri anyway though. Along with the wavy vision I also get severe muscle weakness, dizzines and have come quite close to passing out. I also find that something as simple as sunlight reflecting off of something can trigger this. I find it quite scary as it often happens when I'm out with my son who is 4. I get confused as well and have to find somewhere to sitdown until it passes or is managable to get home. As for what to do for it I usually have to just wait it out. (lay down with eyes closed if possible) I also take inderal every night to prevent migraines(very low dose) It did cut down on the frequency of the painful migraines but not so much for the ocular. Once I get the ocular type it usually comes and goes for about 3 days. Welldon't know if I helped but that's my experience with them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Want2feelgood HB User

Well, I hope that they are manageable at least? I am fairly new to the headache thing. I already take a beta blocker for my MVP, so no need to talk to my doc about that. I do have an appointment Monday (day after tomorrow) with my cardiologist, so I guess I should ask her about all this... Maybe she will send me for an MRI ( I will ask). But I guess I just need to know that this is manageable? I mean people live with this all the time rite? I am just looking for a bit of comfort I suppose...
Thank you for your reply

Old 01-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Yes manageable once you know what it is, it's just the fact that I have a small child with me and I'm afriad for him as well because it scares him so I'm trying to calm him as well and I think this makes it worse because I worry what will happen to him if I pass out. This happened to me suddenly in a mall parking lot when he was 3 and I just made it to the car and locked us in untill it passed. He understands a little better now though.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Want2feelgood HB User

Ok... so what do you think about the fullness I feel in my ears and head? I mean do you think maybe this brought it on? I have had a sinus headache with pressure for about 2 weeks or so, off and on I would get like a small firefly like sparkle that would zoom by my eye real fast... but like I mentioned in my post... Yesterday I had the full on Ocular Migraine with headache.... So in a nut shell you think it could be sinus pressure that brought it on as well as the BRIGHT sun? Also... is it normal for you to have like a dull headache the next day as well, because it is now 8:25 pm the following day and i still have a bit of a dull ache still...

thanks for talking w/ me

Old 01-28-2007, 01:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2feelgood View Post
Ok... so what do you think about the fullness I feel in my ears and head? I mean do you think maybe this brought it on? I have had a sinus headache with pressure for about 2 weeks or so, off and on I would get like a small firefly like sparkle that would zoom by my eye real fast... but like I mentioned in my post... Yesterday I had the full on Ocular Migraine with headache.... So in a nut shell you think it could be sinus pressure that brought it on as well as the BRIGHT sun? Also... is it normal for you to have like a dull headache the next day as well, because it is now 8:25 pm the following day and i still have a bit of a dull ache still...

thanks for talking w/ me
Hi again, yes I get the pressure in my head and ears also. Sometimes feels like my head will just blow off! I also was told by my doc that a sinus headache can easily turn into a migraine and vice versa. As for the dull headache I would also say yes as mine usually will last days. And I see all sorts of things when this happens, in fact it just happened the other day and although I have seen the sparkle like you describe this time I saw a red flashing light everywhere I looked. That was a new one! Just try to relax when this happens and it will shorten the duration. It took me a while to learn this but it does help.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:25 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Want2feelgood HB User

Kdel
Thank you so much for the words of comfort... it really means a lot to a person when their not so sure.
Thank you again
God Bless

also to add: I have this weird feeling that starts from my right front tooth area and seems to follow up the entire right side of my head all the way down to the middle back side of my scull. Just like a straight line from my front teeth over my right eye and all the way back, it feels maybe like my sinus I guess, just a weird pressure tingle feeling.... I CAN'T WAIT TO GO TO THE DR, so I can stop feeling like such a basket case... Thank you again soooo much for the comfort...

Last edited by Want2feelgood; 01-28-2007 at 08:29 AM.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:56 AM   #8
(female)

vuitton HB User

I have had this type of Migraine for years....starting out with a small dot and growing into an ark of spinning colorfull geometric shapes. Lasting 30 minutes from start to finish, for the light show, then followed with a headache that can for last days.
When it first started happening it really really scared me, but once I realized what it was, my doctor explained it to me. It really helped to not get scared, and the first thing I do is take a Xanax.
Being calm, during an attack really helps.
The one problem I have, is when it happens while I'm driving. I have to pull over and wait the 30 minutes. That part is rough...I'm not always in a safe area, to sit in my car.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:20 AM   #9
(female)

jule12 HB User

I've had "regular" migraines for about 7 years, but had endoscopic sinus surgery in June of 2006, and ever since, have had what my neurologist calls ocular migraines. My biggest trigger is light. I wear sunglasses at work when I'm on the computer. I don't have the light flashes, just pulsating pain in my eyes. I agree, most of the conventional migraine medicines do not work. When I get a bad pulsating pain in my eyes, I have to take percocet.
I also recommend a heat pack. They have this product called a "sinus buddy" that you put in the microwave. They also sell various products in mall kiosks that look like bean bags and can be used hot or cold.

**The one thing that did help is botox. I've had botox shots twice already (every 3 1/2 months). My insurance would not cover it, so it's costly. I'm not as bad as I used to be. The botox also helps headaches. I take Topamax every day, and was able to lower my dose.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Closed Thread