It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

John_33 HB User
Muscle tension back of the head

For the past 2 days at completely random times Ive gotten these episodes of tension headaches. The back of my head literally feels heavy and the muscles are tense. This leads to a band like feeling around my head. These usually go away by themselves if I keep myself busy. Can anyone offer any advice?

Also, today I was taking a nap and I my brother woke me up suddenly. I started to have a headache. The right side of my head started to tingle (top part) and I got that same pressure again. Could this be related?

Old 02-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
(female)

Diane817 HB User
Re: Muscle tension back of the head

Are you under any stress? My migraines start in my neck. Have you seen a doctor? If not, think about it. Take care and be well.
Diane

The following user gives a hug of support to Diane817:
sairam19 (10-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
(female)

peanut925 HB User

I have woke up with a tension migrane every day starting feb 7. I had them off and on for a week before that. I feel a lot of pressere, sometimes my head hurts, I get tingling in different areas of my head, sometimes my jaw will feel tight, I feel spacy, blurred vision. where my neck meets my head feels full of pressure, neck hurts and gets stiff, my eyes feel strained, and sometimes ligt hurts my eyes a little. I wake up with it every day, normally it will go away around 3 in the afternoon but sometimes if lingers on through the entire day. Some days are better than others. I have taken migrane meds and it takes it away but sure enough the next day it starts over again.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
(female)

Blondebookworm HB User

Have you tried gentle traction? This can be done by a physio or I have invested in an inversion table. I have found it very helpful over the years. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

Try taking Two Advil AND Two Percogesic, and put a heat pad on tour neck and shoulders.

See a physical therapist if it persists

Old 06-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
(male)

Legacy24x HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut*** View Post
I have woke up with a tension migrane every day starting feb 7. I had them off and on for a week before that. I feel a lot of pressere, sometimes my head hurts, I get tingling in different areas of my head, sometimes my jaw will feel tight, I feel spacy, blurred vision. where my neck meets my head feels full of pressure, neck hurts and gets stiff, my eyes feel strained, and sometimes ligt hurts my eyes a little. I wake up with it every day, normally it will go away around 3 in the afternoon but sometimes if lingers on through the entire day. Some days are better than others. I have taken migrane meds and it takes it away but sure enough the next day it starts over again.
I came across this site through a ****** search of symptoms. I must say what you have said to suffer from matches mine exactly. I can't help but be paranoid and think these are symptoms of something much more serious than tension migraines.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
(female)

mommy2em HB User

Are you kidding me? you have EVERY single symptom that i have. I have tension and pressure in my TMJ area (both sides of jaw...), facial tingling (comes/goes), neck tightness/pain, tingling (on/off) in my hands and headaches in the back of my head. Weird vision issues....like I cant "focus" or something (not necessarily blurred or double vision...but WEIRD) and my eyes hurt -- burn, feel so tired, strained and definitely sensitive to bright light. DId you find a diagnosis? Have your symptoms subsided?

Anyone with these symptoms please respond!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
(female)

ck42ck1 HB User

Hello,

I can defintely relate to your symptoms as well. I have had alot of headache and neck pain especially in the back area of my head. I do have tmj issues,
I have discussed it with my dentist and he says it could be the possible culprit. However, I do have stressfull times like everyone else and for some extra fun I truely believe my perimenopause might be an added culprit. Gee the joys of being a woman as we age. WOOHOO. I did find comfort though in hearing that I am not going thru it alone. I hope we can find some relief.
All the best lets see what becomes of it.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
(female)

mommy2em HB User

do any of you ever get vertigo or dizziness w/ these headaches? today i was REALLY tense in my shoulders and neck, had some neck pain and if i would look around the room i got really dizzy....so weird but i KNOW it's neck related. anyone?

Old 02-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
(male)

Gabriel7981 HB User

I am a 26 Yera old male, and I get these same exact pressure and tightness in the back of my head. This has been a daily experience since November 7th 2007. That day I passed out, and I went to the ER, and it was from being dehydrated. Since that day, I have had this pressure, right in the back of my head, that I feel like I will pass out again. It almost happened again twice, but I layed down, and it went away. The pain gets better some times, and worse other times. I also suffer from anxiety.

I am taking 12.5mg of Paxil CR. I have been on it for one month now. I have been to the ER twice in one week in January for panic attacks, and for the head pressure. I have taken numerous tests, CT scans, Cat scans, neck and head x-rays, cardiograms to rule out a heart attack, and blood tests, you name it. All tests came out fine.

I am terrified to pass out, which is just an anxiety I have, and I have been to a neurologist, and my doctor said she wants me to have a sleep study done. I don't go for that until march 9th. I just have no clue how a sleep study is going to help me with my head pressure, but whatever it is, I hope it helps. Today I had the worst pressure and was lightheaded since I woke up, and still have it now. Its not as bad right now as it was earlier.

I have just lost 64 pounds since March of 2007. I feel good that I have lost so much weight because I weighed as much as 387 in march, now I weigh 323. I still have a long way to go, but I am happy I was able to lose this much in less than a year. Anyway, I don't have as much as an appetite as I used to, and I sometimes only eat once a day, (I know that's bad, but with the way I feel sometimes, I don't even wanna get out of bed).

Today I was really going to go to the ER, that's how bad it hurt today, but I tried to fight the urge to go, and little by little the horrible pain went away, but still have some. I am so hopeful to have another person with this, as I found this site, and all of you, and I am just dying to know what this is that is making my head feel like it is in a vice.

My legs also feel weak constantly, but on my good days I go for a walk with my dogs and my girlfriend. It does help a little. Its just everyday it starts all over.

I started making a journal of the time, date, food I eat/drink, and a scale of 1-10 how bad my head hurts with 10 being the worst, and if there are any changes in the pressure, I write down the number and time. I noticed that when I was eating a lot of cheese/dairy products, it would be a worse day for me. I stopped eating cheese for 2 days, and I felt ok yesterday, I actually went out with my girlfriend for a drive, and to a few stores. I had 2 yogurts last night, and a small bowl of cereal before that, and I think that may have triggered this today. I was away from the dairy all day today, so I will let you all know what happens tomorrow.

Good Luck to all of you, and keep the posting! I will as well.

GOD bless all of us!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
(female)

mommy2em HB User

have you had your thyroid checked? that sounds like thyroid. my sister has similar symptoms as you...it was her thyroid.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #12
(female)

densgirl HB User

I have had these symtoms for over 2 years, plus a cold sensation around my nose upper lip and cheeks. My cheek bones ache and I know this is probably TMJ connected. I can count on one hand the days I was pain free and that was in the summer. The doctor calls them mutated migraines in conjunction with fibromyalgia, but I think it's nerve pain, None of the meds I've been on help. I work with spreadsheets everyday and by the time I get home, I just want to go to close my eyes and sleep. I would love to know what to do about it.

Aja

Last edited by densgirl; 02-13-2008 at 10:14 AM.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #13
(male)

Gabriel7981 HB User

No I haven't had my thyroid checked yet. I will try that. Today, out of the four days since saturday I have gotten this terrible pressure, was the worst day so far. I feel like everyday gets worse and worse. I also had terrible anxiety associated with the head pressure because it makes me nervous. I keep thinking it might be a tumor and that's why it won't go away. I try to relax myself, but nothing is helping. This is making me depressed. I tried to get new eyeglasses prescription, that didn't help. I tried to stay away from dairy, that didn't help either. I tried to stretch my neck muscles, nothing. I went to the chiropractor last week, it seemed to help a little, but that particular day I felt ok. Still had some pressure, but nothing like today. I am nervous to go to the chiropractor because I also have this lightheaded feeling along with the pressure, and my nose is stuffed up, and my sinus' hurt too. I have allergies, but only the seasonal ones, like the pollen and dust I am allergic to. I would like to try to take Claritin D for the allergies, but I am scared to take it with the Paxil. Could anyone tell me if it is alright to mix them? I won't take them at the same exact time, just the same day? Someone, anyone, please help! I really don't feel like going to the ER to sit there for 6 hours before I even see a doctor, but if I still feel the same, I am going to go for sure. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
(female)

mommy2em HB User

YES, DEFINITELY get your thyroid checked. The anxiety, weight loss, etc all seems related. Let us know what that shows. Hang in there, and just remember, 90% of the things you worry about never even happen!

p.s. once my sister got her thyroid regulated, all of her symptoms (same as yours) totally went away.

Closed Thread